December 26th

Dear Sophia,

I love you.

I wish I was with you today. I know that was the last Christmas I’ll ever have without you but it still feels sad that we have different memories of yesterday. We should always be together. I think it’s getting to me a bit just because I don’t know when I’m going to see you next.

I don’t really know what people are meant to do on Boxing Day. We never used to go visit family or anything like that. We weren’t close to our relatives really. Sometimes my dad would say he had to go visit his parents but he never took us with him.

There was a bit of leftover chicken from yesterday that I’d put in the fridge. I had it cold for lunch. It wasn’t very good on it’s own. It just felt plain and somehow dry and soggy at the same time. I think people must have turkey sandwiches with some sauce or something like that to give it some flavour. I’ll definitely have worked something better out by next year. I spent the rest of the afternoon sat in front of the T.V.

The tree’s starting to look a bit ridiculous now it’s not Christmas anymore. It’s just in the way. I had to move one of the chairs a bit to fit it in against the wall and it made the chair block the doorway a bit. I think I’ll take it down before I go to sleep. Then tomorrow I can start getting ready for next year. That’s all I want now anyway. I want this year to be over and next year to be here now. Next year will be our special year.

Just sitting in front of the T.V with you on Boxing Day would be the best thing in the world. Today it felt a bit lonely. There were a bunch of cartoon films on T.V. I could remember most of them really well from when I was little. I always thought that all the famous Disney films had come out when I was a kid but I think everyone must think that. It’s just that every kid gets shown them when they’re little so they associate them with that age. Some of them are actually really really old.

I don’t know why they put those films on over Christmas though. Everyone has nothing to do but watch T.V so they put on films everyone has already seen.

Then they have the soaps on. I fell asleep during a film and got woken up by some people yelling at each other. I don’t even know which show it was. Everyone was screaming. Christmas isn’t very dramatic so on soaps they always make characters plan other things to do over Christmas so eventful things can happen. In the real world nobody has a fight at their wedding on Christmas day or travels hundreds of miles to find their long lost brother who everyone thought was dead. People just don’t do that. At Christmas everyone is sat around a table eating food and doing nothing. I guess it makes people feel better about their boring days though. They look at the T.V and think it could be worse.

There was one bit that got to me though. One guy’s wife turned up. I guess she had run away ages ago or something. There was a knock at the door and she was standing there. The guy looked shocked. He asked her what she was doing there. He said he thought he’d never see her again. She said it was Christmas. She said Christmas is when you have to be with the person you love. Then they kissed. It made me feel really stupid. I don’t know why I didn’t sort everything out so we were together for Christmas. I could have. I’ve just been lazy. The idea of spending a special day without you again is heartbreaking. By Valentine’s you definitely need to have moved in. Otherwise we’ll just be wasting time. There’s no point us sitting around on our own when we’re both wishing we were together.

I love you.

Yours,

Andrew