November 29th

Dear Sophia,

I love you. I really do.

I think I need to explain what happened today. It felt really sad at the time but I guess it’s kind of funny. It would have looked funny to someone who knew what was happening anyway.

I got up early and wrapped the necklace nicely. Then I thought that wrapping it up made it seem too much like a big thing. It seemed like it was about me giving you the present rather than just you getting the present. So I unwrapped it and left it in the box it came in. It has the name of the shop written on it in a nice kind of black writing on a different kind of black background.

I’ve got the box next to me now. It’s not been damaged or anything.

I hadn’t worked out exactly what I was going to do when I left this morning. I guess that’s pretty obvious by now given what happened. I brought the necklace with me when I left and put it in my coat pocket still in the box. I put the box in a plastic bag in case it rained as it was just too big to fit in my pocket.

I saw you come in again with the same friend from yesterday. You were laughing lots together and I didn’t want to interrupt. Then I saw her point towards me and come right at me. It took a second for me to realise she was going to the toilets and not coming over to talk to me. She went right past me into the toilets and you were left holding the place in the queue. I saw you get both the drinks and wait by the door for your friend to come back out. I thought it was really kind of you to get her drink and then wait around for her too.

I opened the plastic bag and took the necklace out of the box. I kept it in my hand. When I saw the door to the toilets open I got up and pretended to be walking but it wasn’t her. The next time it opened it wasn’t her either and I ended up just standing near the toilets stepping backwards and forwards a bit. Luckily it was pretty busy so nobody really noticed.

Then when she came out I went up to her and told her I’d just seen this necklace fall from her friend in the queue and I thought it would be a shame if it got lost because it was a really nice necklace. She thanked me and took it over to you and I sat back down to watch you get it.

You held it up to the light and then went back towards the counter. People thought you were pushing in I guess because you got some funny looks. You lent over to the guy and handed him the necklace and said something to him. I was a bit hurt. I thought maybe you didn’t like it or didn’t want a present from me. Then I realised I couldn’t be angry or upset about it. You were just being selfless. You wouldn’t take something you didn’t feel was yours. You knew how sad someone would‘ve been if they’d lost it and you wanted to make sure it got back to the person who owned it.

You must have thought it was really nice to have worried about so much someone missing it. I knew you’d think it was nice.

It all made me realise something important. I don’t need to worry about doing good things and being good and all that stuff I was worrying about. What’s important is being happy with how things are and not relying on little things to make your day better. The only thing we need is each other. We don’t need all that other stuff. Presents are nothing compared to love.

I love you.

Yours,

Andrew