Connection

Thank you for all the support.

"Tell me about what it was like growing up here a thousand years ago?" I ask Klaus as I continue to lay on his chest. Feeling at peace lying in his arms.

"It would bore you."

"I doubt that." I flip over so I can look at him. "Come on I want to get to know you." I lay my head on his chest looking up at him.

"It was simpler times. We worked every day to survive the next but I always knew I had my family to be there for me. Our village was very close to one another."

"I keep saying we have nothing in common, but that's wrong."

"Do tell." I sit up and pull the sheets around me clutching it to my chest.

"We both grew up in a small town or village. Relying on our family for everything."

"One thing I am thankful that we don't have in common you did not have my parents." His eyes fall as he mentions Esther and Mikael. I reach for his hand and he allows me to hold it.

"Tell me about them. How were they when you were human?"

"That's a lot of..."

"I'll go first. Yes, my adopted parents were amazing. They gave me a loving family and supported me in everything I did. But they also kept big secrets from me like my whole family are vampire hunters and have always hated vampires. Then my birth parents gave Elena and me up when we were born. My birth mom Isobel was cold. She only thought of herself and the same was said when she forced Damon to kill and turn her. I may not have had the traumatizing life you did, but my life was still far from perfect." Klaus caresses my cheek.

"And I am sorry for the part I played in your birth mothers demise."

"We were never close. But I appreciate your apology. No one is perfect. We're all a little damaged in one way or another. Some more than others. Please let me in Nik." He smiles and I bite my lip.

"I love when you call me that."

"I mean it when I want to get to know you." I place my hand on his chest as I move to straddle him. "As amazing as the sex is I want more than that from you." I look him in the eyes.

"And learning about my life as a human..."

"It's still a part of you."

"Fine...I was helpless as a human. I had no defense against Mikael's rage. Even from a small age he abused me always making me know I did not belong in his family."

"And was this before he knew you weren't his son." He shakes his head. "No one should have to go through that."

"He was so cruel and my siblings just stood by and watched or ignored the abuse all fearing their own safety if they intervened. I was just a child and I was being punished for something I could not control."

"What did your mother do?"

"She did nothing as her husband attacked me for no reason. Like the others, she just stood by." I lean forward and place a light kiss to his cheek.
"You should have been loved from the start. You aren't a monster Klaus."

"Being human wasn't always bad but becoming a vampire was exhilarating."

"In what way?"

"Every one of your senses is heightened on a level that cannot be explained. I found myself able to see the world around. I witnessed empires rise and fall and the world evolve before my eyes."

"And when did you find your love of painting?"

"Even as a child, I loved art. I stole my father's knife once and used it to carve a wooden knight for Rebekah to protect us. And once I turned I found painting was my outlet for happiness."