Team Spirit

Thank you for all the support. I love hearing from all of you and I can't wait for you all to see what happens next.

I've had nightmares before. Ones where I've seen my parents and I'm running after them telling them not to get in the car that night but my feet never catch up and I'm forced to watch the life drain from their eyes. But this nightmare was something else. I found myself in an old looking dress running through what I could only identify as the cemetery. But what worried me more was this squawking sound chasing me through the fog. No matter how fast I ran the closer the sound got and eventually, I whirled around to be met with blood red eyes and then I woke up. I had to put my sheets in the wash from the terrifying cold sweat I found myself in when I awoke. I've never felt like a dream was so real before last night. Those red eyes will forever haunt me just like when I first saw the movie It. I have never looked at a clown the same way ever again.

It's game day and I know when I talked to Damon I mentioned how I hid behind cheering as a way to get through the pain. Even though I don't love it the exact same way there's still a part of me that yearns for the rush of running onto the field and hearing the crowd cheer us on. I may not feel the same way about this sport but it has given me an outlet to release frustration and spend time away from thinking about how much my life has changed. Elena may want to give up on it, but I still see something worth fighting for.

__________________________________
I'm fixing the ribbon in my hair when I hear Elena calling for me. I open my door and let her in. She comes to sit on my bed not in uniform but with a smile on her face. She doesn't smile as much as she should but recently she's found something to be happy for and I wish it would stay that way.

"Hey, you look peppy." She jokes.

"Thanks. I was thinking I could be the bitchy cheerleader."

"I think Caroline has that covered."

"Agreed." I lean on my sister's shoulder.

"Even if I won't be cheering alongside you I will be right there in the stands screaming your name just like..."

"Like mom and dad did for us." She nods her head. "Lenny, we will make this year the best year yet. I vow that only happiness and love is in our futures."

"Sof, there's no way you can..."

"Nah uh, I have this feeling and I know something amazing is going to happen for us. We just have to be able to enjoy our new life."

"As long as you're by my side what do I have to lose." I hug Elena one last time before we're pulling into our car headed to the game. This is a different feeling but I like knowing that no matter what changes I will always shave my sister by my side.

__________________________________
Our schools pre-game ritual of the opposing team's jersey burning in the fire pit has everyone's spirits on high. We're ready for a new season where we can hopefully dominate the other schools. Tanner is desperately trying to get the crowds attention so he can give his encouragement speech.

"Wait. Wait. Now let's be honest here in the past, we used to let other teams come into our town and roll right over us!" The crow boos. "But that is about to change. Starting tonight on the offensive line, it has been a long time since I've seen a kid with hands like these. Stefan Salvatore!" I cheer along with the rest of the squad as the other players pat him on the back. I briefly see Elena cheering on her man with pride. I also see from the corner of my eye Tyler looking pissed out of his mind. One of the things I hated about being with Tyler was his overt jealously to anyone that was better than him in sports.

I see the crowd turning away from what the coach is saying and moving towards a commotion from the parking lot. I push my way through when I hear the last two voices I need to be in an argument. Tyler has Jeremy pinned down and is punching him in the face. All Vicki can do is scream stop at him until I push past her and somehow pull Jeremy off Tyler.