Trust

Thank you for the support. Enjoy this update and check out my other stories.

Like the lying couldn't get any worse. Elena now has me roped into fake helping Damon get into the tomb. She thinks that Stefan and she are masterminds in fooling everyone but the fact is they are both horrible liars. You can instantly tell when something is off with either of them. She's not taking no for answer and I'm now forced to look for a dumb journal that could have a key in finding out where some witch book is. Bonnie is M.I.A. off with her grams working on controlling her abilities, while I'm stuck in this limbo on if I should acknowledge what is going on with me or keep pushing it down like it doesn't exist.

"Do you think Damon really believes us? That we're all trying to help him?" Elena asks Stefan and me. I scoff at her question. It's so dumb to even give her a decent response. Damon is a master manipulator he seems to always be ten steps ahead of everyone. He has his own agenda which makes him dangerous and uncontrollable which are two things Elena and Stefan hate.

"I don't think Damon knows what to believe. Trust isn't something that comes naturally to him." Stefan's lack of belief and trust in his own brother makes me wonder what really happened to them over the years. It has to be deeper than just fighting over the same girl and losing her to your brother. There is something neither of them is telling us.

"I really think that Damon believes that everything he's done, every move that he's made he's done for love."

"Yeah, a twisted and messed up version of love." I state looking up from the box I'm digging through.

"But Sof, you have to admit it's kind of sad."

"Damon is a sad and damaged person Elena. He's killing people and using them to get what he wants. Nothing warrants his actions."

"Sofia's right. There are other ways to get what you want. You don't have to kill people. Damon has no regard for human life. He enjoys inflicting pain on others."

"It seems like you want to share something." I stand next to Elena as we wait for Stefan to speak. He pauses to collect his thoughts.

"For 145 years, every single time that I have let my guard down, and let Damon back into my life, he's done something to make me regret that. I'm not going to make that mistake again."

"What will happen if we open the tomb and Damon gets what he wants, Katherine?" I ask worried that all of this will end with someone getting seriously hurt because we got involved with the Salvatore's and their family drama.

"I think that no matter what Damon promises, a lot of people will die." Stefan says this as if this is what always happens with Damon. I know he's messed up and has no care for human life, but there are still moments that he shows me he has a heart of gold. Sadly that heart blackens with his need for revenge on those who wronged him. I know I said I didn't want to change him but I do want to save Damon from ruining his life.

Elena is preoccupied with an old photo of someone. It sparks Stefan's interest. "That's Jonathan Gilbert." He points out. My heart stops as I open a box.

"Uh, guys what is this?" They look over what I have in my hands and I'm concerned what else we may find in our family's history.

"What are you guys doing?" I shut the box and put it back not wanting to alert Jeremy to anything.

"Hey, just going through some stuff..."

"We were feeling sentimental." I add. Elena nods.

"Dad had this whole family journal from years ago. Sofia and I thought we would dig it up."