Fireworks

Here it is. Last chapter of season 1!!!!

God, I wished I backed out of Miss Mystic when I had the chance. Now I had to dress in period clothes for Caroline's rendition of living our her Gone with the Wind fantasy.  I have no idea how these women survived years of wearing these damn corsets. Jenna is struggling to lace up both Elena and my dresses. I keep wishing I hadn't insisted on eating a big lunch because it's biting me in the ass.

"Ow, this dress hurts." Elena complains. We haven't really talked since I told them I knew about Damon killing Matt's sister. We've been avoiding each other. Which is hard when your town is forcing you to come together and celebrate events nonstop.

"Suck it in baby."

"I swear my food baby is dying under this extreme amount of pressure. Will my ribs break in this?" I twirl around for Jenna and she shakes her head.

"You two stop being dramatic. You both look beautiful. Rick and I will drive you two as close to parade as possible." I groan in distance for this dress.

"Meaning we're going to walk in all of this?"

"No very far. But yes, Sofia you will have to walk some."

"Why is Jeremy still your escort?" Elena asks and I glare at her. She holds up her hands.

"Yeah, I thought Matt is off for the night."

"Uh, he is but we broke up and I don't feel like having his arm around my waist the whole parade. So, Jeremy is my escort. Okay, let's go." I grab my change of clothes and head downstairs. I want this day to be over with.

"Why didn't you tell me you and Matt broke up?" Elena won't let this go.

"Probably the same reason you kept Damon turning Vicki into a vampire then he killed her. It's none of your business."

"Sofia." She gathers her dress and runs in front of me. "I never meant to hurt you. With everything going on I didn't feel like bringing up Vicki because we had bigger issues to deal with."

"What stopped you what Caroline found her body?" She hangs her mouth open not knowing how to respond.

"I uh...I should have said something but I was worried how you would take it. Matt was going through a lot and..."

"Elena, you have to stop acting like your mom. You're my sister you don't get to decide what I get to know or not. I can decide if I'm able to handle the dark stuff like death. You can't decide what's good for Jeremy and me just because you believe you think you know what's best."

"That's not what I was doing. I honestly...I thought you and Matt were going through a lot already and adding what really happened would just make things worse."

"I wish you told me sooner. I wish I didn't have to ask Damon to compel Matt."

"What you had Damon compel Matt?" We continue walking but at a slow pace since these dresses make it hard to breathe. I nod my head and Elena stops and tries to bring me into a hug but the hoops in our dresses make that a little difficult. "You didn't..."

"But I did. If I broke up with him without the compulsion he would keep asking why and eventually that why would lead him into our mess. He doesn't deserve that. All I had Damon do was compel him that he fell romantically out of love with me. He still cares for me as a friend and that's how it will remain." I quickly wipe away a tear trying not to lose it.

"But you loved him so much. Everyone could tell."

"I love him so much Lenny, I can't see him hurt if it's because of me. This way we could both end things on good terms and we can deal with our vampire mother and move on with our lives."