New Year, Same Me

Here is the first chapter of my new fan fiction. I have always loved the Vampire Diaries. I have thought long and hard how I can write a story that isn't the same as everyone else and still be enjoyable for all to read. Please enjoy and let me know what you think.

I thought I had a perfect life. A nice loving family, friends who adored me and my whole future ahead of me just waiting for me to take the leap. There was nothing that could go wrong. Until that one night when my whole world was turned upside down. I thought I was prepared for everything in my life, but no one can prepare you for losing your parents. No one can prepare you for when your life is rattled with people worrying if you are okay or if you need anything. I was always used to offering my help to others never taking any for myself. I thought I was stronger than this, but this tragedy has shown me that I don't know myself at all. My family will never be the same nor will I ever expect it to. All I can look forward to now is making it day by day. Nothing else seems to matter than taking care of my family and ensuring that we will always be there for each other.

All my life it has always been my parents my younger brother Jeremy and my sister Elena. It's always been the five of us. We did everything together and for each other. We all supported Jeremy at his art competitions or encouraged him to draw us when he was down. They were in return there for Elena and me for all of our cheerleading competitions. No matter what we did our family was always there for us. It seemed like nothing could tear us apart except for death. Elena likes to think if we keep moving forward and keep back to normal life that everything will be okay. She's hopelessly optimistic like that and I love her for it. Our aunt Jenna has come to live with us permanently as our legal guardian being the only living relative other than our creepy uncle John. She is trying her best with finishing grad school on top of being in charge of three teenagers. I have to give her credit for dropping everything and being here for us when we need all of the family we can get. She has been a tremendous help in taking care of the house bills and making sure we had everything for school.

Summer came and went and so did the whole town stopping by every night offering food and a shoulder for us to cry on. The nice thing about when someone close to you dies everyone comes by to tell you great things about them and it brings back good memories of how amazing that person was. People could tell us about how they knew our parents in high school and how they were so sorry that they are gone. Most of all we were told how much they will be missed. I miss their kind hearts and loving touches. I miss how they would always know the right thing to say when any of where down. Most of all I will miss the sound of their voices as they say I love you.

__________________________________
I decided to take an early morning jog before school started to clear my head. Elena found that writing in her diary was the best way to get through her days and sadly Jeremy has turned to drugs and distancing himself from the family. I've tried reaching out to him but it's been no use. Jenna doesn't want to overstep her boundaries just yet and I understand her apprehension. Her trying to parent him would most likely result in him pulling away even more. I know drugs aren't just a phase and Jeremy needs to stop before he causes serious damage to himself.

"Hey, Jenna." I pass by her so I can grab a glass of water.

"Oh, did you go running?"

"Yeah, I got an early start. I couldn't sleep." I say as I place my finished glass in the dishwasher.

"I would have gone with you."

"But you didn't need to lose sleep. You have a lot on your plate with your thesis deadline and taking of us Gilberts."

"You shouldn't run alone."

"It's Mystic Falls. I said hi to Mrs. Raymond and even helped Mr. Jones with his trashcans."