Chapter 62 - Marriage Counseling

I bit my lip as we sat down. Imagine, Luis beside me on a couch and across from us is a female marriage counselor, grinning at us. Her office was bright, decorated with yellow and flowers, and smelled of vanilla. I began playing with my hands, trying to ease the nerves. Luis kept checking his watch.

"Alright, Mr. and Mrs. Jones, so what brings you here?" She asked. Her name was Amanda. Luis looked to me to answer, but I was quiet.

"Fine, I guess I'll explain." Luis started. He sounded so annoyed. But why was he annoyed? It was his stupid idea for us to go to marriage counseling! "We aren't at a good place in our marriage." Luis simply put.

"Okay, well I am glad you two decided to take the initiative to work it out." She said. "You did your homework assignments right?" She asked, as we nodded. She had called us the night before and told us to write the things that we argue about the most on a list and to not show one another. I had written down six things. "Pass them to me." She said. Luis pulled a small folded paper out of his pocket and handed it to her. I searched my bag and found my small paper with the list of things we argue about. 

1. Money
2. Luis' Past pertaining to his father
3. My tendency to lie
4. My Job
5. Sex
6. The baby

I had no idea what Luis wrote.

"What are your goals for this session?" She asked as she looked at both of our lists.

"My goal is to fix our relationship." Luis said as he looked at me. I looked at him too, but quickly looked away.

"Same." I said to her.

"Okay, well why don't we start with Luis' list? His first point on his list is your job Nicole." She said. I rolled my eyes. "So, we're going to do an exercise, it's called 'I feel.' A lot of couples disregard their partner's feelings, so every sentence is going to start with I feel. Luis, you start." She explained.

"Okay.. Well... I feel like you're choosing this job over your family." He confessed.

"And I feel like I need to provide for my unborn child financially." I defended.

"I feel like there are other ways to provide financially that don't include working with my crazy ex girlfriend and lifting heavy objects until you end up in the hospital." He argued back.

"I feel like if I didn't work with Hailey we would've lost our house." I said.

"I feel like you're getting too comfortable with this rich life. Before I came into your life, you were poor and-" I cut him off.

"Yeah I was poor! I know how it feels to be poor and..." I turned to look at Amanda, who was mouthing that I needed to start my sentence with I feel. I sighed. "And I feel  like I don't want that life for my child. You wouldn't understand. You were a teen pop sensation, making millions of dollars. But, I know how it feels to be poor, and it sucks." I said to him. He stayed quiet. "Also, I feel like you had your time to shine with your career and it should be my turn. I feel like you, as a man, will never understand how hard it is for me as a woman who is always in the shadows of her husband to establish herself." I said to him.

"Alright that's enough." Amanda said. "Now we're going to answer the I Feels that were said. Luis, why do you feel like she always puts work first?" She asked.

"Because she does! She doesn't take care of herself and the reason is her job!" He yelled.

"But I am taking care of myself. I decided to cancel all my clients except two." I said to him.

"That doesn't excuse the fact that this job is always stressing you!" He said.

"You're always blaming my job stressing me like you aren't the one stressing me out?! Why do you think I work so hard?! To provide because you can't!" I yelled.