Chapter 60 - At the Hospital

"Your baby is just fine." The doctor said. We had gone to the ER, and they finally did an ultrasound on me. I sighed a sigh of relief and began to cry.

"Oh thank God." I said out loud.

"Now what exactly were you doing to hurt your back?" The doctor, whose name was Dr. Helen asked. Luis looked at me, with concerned eyes. I had been avoiding this question all day. He still held my hand throughout the ambulance ride, through the ultrasound, and through me telling the doctor what I did to hurt my back.

"I... I was picking up a box, it was kinda heavy and then I got the pain in my back." I explained. I knew Luis was starring at me, but I choose to look at the doctor instead. I didn't want to see him look at me.

"How heavy was it?" She asked.

"It had a lot of supplies, I would say, fifty pounds."

"Well, Mrs. Jones you are very lucky. You need to understand that since you are pregnant, you can't carry such heavy things, or anything really at all. You could've hurt your baby." She said.

"I know, and I'm sorry." I said to her, but it was more to Luis.

"I'm contacting your primary care doctor and she'll look out for any signs of bleeding or any pain. As for you, your back is just strained. Since you're pregnant you can't take any medications, so we'll just have to send you home and be on bed rest for forty eight hours. After that, your primary care doctor will meet with you to make sure everything is all right. You'll be discharged in the next hour." She said as she left. We stayed quiet for about ten minutes.

Finally he spoke. "Look at me." He said.

"No." I said, refusing to look at him.

"I said look at me." He said sternly. I slowly turned to him, and when I saw the pain in his eyes, it made me tear up. "How many times do I have to tell you to take it easy at work?" He asked me. I sighed.

"Look, I-"

"No, listen to me! You could have lost our baby! What you did today was careless! It was stupid." He yelled.

"Just stop yell at me." I said. "Don't you think I know that?!" I yelled. 

I thought our conversation would have went a little something like this:

"I am so glad you and our baby are alright." He said, hugging me tightly. I was confused, he wasn't mad?! I hugged him tightly, as he cried on my shoulder.

"I'm glad too." I said to him, as I kissed his neck. He then picked his head up and looked at me.

"When I got that phone call, the sound of you screaming and crying made my heart break. I thought something bad was happening. And when I saw you on the floor, tears came to my eyes. It's hard seeing the woman I love in pain like that." He said.

"I know, and I'm sorry. I'm sorry you had to see me like that, and I'm sorry I didn't listen to you about being more careful." I said.

"You have nothing to be sorry about, love. I love you. Do you want any ice cream?"

Only, it didn't go like that at all. 

Instead, he was scolding me like I was some child. I was well aware what I did was stupid, careless, and dangerous. But did he really have to rub it in?

"Fifty pounds? Really? Fifty pounds you tried lifting by yourself?" He asked sarcastically.

"Don't make me feel guilty." I mumbled.