Chapter 55- Our First Doctor's Appointment

"Why did we have to come to the doctors? You know I could've paid for a doctor to do a home visit." Luis whispered.

"What's the point of that?" I asked, as we sat in the waiting room.

"Reminder, I'm famous. As soon as one person sees me, it'll be all over the news that you're pregnant." He said. He was wearing some sort of disguise, a hoodie and sunglasses, trying to keep a low profile.

"Well, it's not confirmed I'm pregnant." I defended.

"Babe, you took three home pregnancy tests and they all came back positive. Besides, the tabloids love twisting every story they get. I could be meeting with a doctor whose a woman and they'll think I'm out cheating. We need to start thinking about our privacy!" He insisted.

"Yeah but-"

"Jones, Nicole?" A nurse called my name. I got up along side Luis, holding his hand. I was so nervous as we followed the nurse to the room. The room had a chair, a bed, and a monitor. "Dr. Ansah will be with you in a moment. In the meantime, you should change out of your clothes and into that gown." She said as she left. I began taking off my jeans, but they were hard to come off.

"Let me help." Luis said. He then helped me up on the bed and peeled off my jeans. I then took off my shirt, only in my bra. "Babe, I'll tell you right now you're pregnant. Your boobs look so much bigger." He said, laughing.

"Shutup, you literally saw them last night. They're the same exact size." I said, as I balled up my shirt and threw it at him. I then put on the gown and laid down, feeling my stomach. Just then, Dr. Ansah came in.

"Good morning Mrs. Jones. And Mr. Jones." She said, as she shook my hand. "By the looks of your charts, you believe that you are pregnant." She confirmed.

"Yeah, my period was late and I took a few pregnancy tests and they all came back positive." I explained.

"Alright, let me take a look." She said, as she put on her gloves. She then turned on the monitor and grabbed a gel. "Lift up your gown please. This gel is going to be cold." She said as she placed the gel on my bare belly. She then picked up the ultrasound wand and moved it around my belly.

Luis got up and held my hand, as we looked at the monitor together. "What if there's no...." My words trailed off. The doctor pointed at a little ball on the monitor.

"See that little blob right there? That's your baby." She said. My eyes widened.

"So, I'm actually pregnant?" I asked.

"About five or six weeks." She said. So, I was pregnant before I went to New York. While I was on birth control, I was already pregnant. Luis' grip tightened as he held my hand. His eyes were glued to the screen. "Would you like to hear the baby's heartbeat?" She asked.

"Yes." I said. She turned a nob, and soon the room was filled with the sound of a strong heartbeat. Tears came to my eyes, hearing our baby's heart. It became so surreal to me.

Dr. Ansah then turned off the machine, and wiped my belly clean. "How are your symptoms?" She asked me.

"My boobs are really sensitive and I have morning sickness." I said.

"That'll usually go away within the next two weeks, but call me if it doesn't and I'll prescribe you medication. How about any mood swings?" She asked.

"Yeah." I admitted. Luis gave me a look. "And I've been like really... in the mood." I said to her.

"All that is normal. It's just your hormones. How about any stress?" She asked me. 

"I mean, I had to work during New York Fashion Week and just some married husband and wife issues, but overall I've been moderate." I said. 

"Well, your charts show that your blood pressure is high. You may want to eliminate the causes of stress. Whether it be working less or your husband being a little bit more cooperative. And absolutely no lifting anything heavy." She said. "But overall, it seems like you're having a healthy, normal pregnancy. Your due date will be in sometime in the summer, possibly June, maybe early July." She said. "I'll get you your prenatal vitamins." She added, as she left.