Chapter 19

I couldn't believe prom was in two days, exactly 48 hours away. Could you believe it? I had everything set. My hair stylist, my make-up, my nails, my dress, and my date. And of course probably the winning vote for Prom Queen. Could things get any better? I think not.

"So, how's Luis taking him not going?" Kayla asked me as we got our nails done after school.

"I don't know how one should act." I shrugged as the chinese lady put ten false nails on my fingers.

"Well, is he actually busy?" She asked.

"Probably. He's always busy." I said.

"Sure thing. So, how did Justin ask you?" Kayla asked.

"Well, he placed four roses in my locker. One pink, red, orange, and mint. He was like Please, Really, Obvious, Maybe go to prom with me? The colors first letter spelled out prom. Isn't that romantic?" I asked as she grinned.

"Yeah, that's cool, but Luis could've done something spectacular." Kayla said. I gave her a look. "I'm not kidding. You should just go with your fiance." Kayla said. "Or I will." She joked.

"Who are you going with?" I asked her.

"Eddy." She said.

"What? Since when?" I asked her.

"It was nothing. He's like you going to prom with anyone? Then he was like, hey, you wanna chill at prom?" She said. I grinned.

"I've gotta get home." I said checking the time. I blew on my wet nails, grabbing my white Prada bag, I headed out. The paparazzi were piling away to get a glimpse at me. I looked to find my shades.

I hopped in my car and headed home. Well almost home. I turned to The Village, the facility my mom was in. "What are you doing, Nicole?" I asked myself as I parked. I turned off my car, grabbed my purse and walked in.

It was a strange, depressing, room. There were old people barely walking or moving, I wasn't sure if they were even breathing.

"Sally!" One yelled. I turned around and walked to the front desk.

"Can I help you ma'am?" She asked but my attention was to the paitents.

"Why am I here? I thought I was at shoprite." One said to herself.

"I'm not married, get this stranger away from me!" A man yelled at a woman who cried. They weren't old, but I could tell putting her husband here caused all her grey hairs and wrinkles.

"Ma'am!" The lady at the desk said.

"Oh, sorry. Could I see my mother?" I asked. She sighed.

"You gotta tell me her name." She said, sounding fed up.

"Grace Altway." I said to her.

"Down that hall, second door to the left." She pointed. I walked straight to her room. I saw nurses giving shots, changing sheets, moving patients.

"Mom." I breathed, walking to her.

"Where am I, Nicole, honey?" She asked as I hugged her. I opened my bag and searched for some oreos. My mom loved oreos.

"How are you feeling?" I asked her.

"I'm good, honey. Is your father around?" She asked. I took a deep breath.

"Yeah, yeah. He's downstairs getting some snacks." I lied. What was I supposed to do? Tell my mom she's a widow?

"I hope George doesn't take a burger. He always gets heartburn." She said as I nodded.

"I told him to get the healthy stuff. He should be here soon." I said, rubbing my nose. "So mom." I started, but didn't have anything to say.

"I haven't been to work in a I month, these dumb nurses think I'm sick or something. I'm sick of this place." She said. We ate cookies, joked around, and I brushed her hair. She slowly fell asleep.

"Goodnight, mom." I kissed her forehead before heading out. It was dark when I left to go in my car. I quickly drove home. I parked my car, opened the front door to my house and walked in.

I passed by the dining table to see Luis sitting down, a candle burning.

"Hey." I said as I walked to the table.

"You forgot our date." He muttered, not looking at me. He was dressed nicely with a dress top and tie. I was gonna defend myself, but I checked my phone calender.

"Luis, I am so sorry." I said to him. "We can still eat, I mean the pasta looks delicious." I pointed. "We could warm it up and eat or-" I started but he got up, threw his napkin, and left. I sighed. I walked right behind him. "Why are you doing this?" I asked him as I held the door with my left hand.

"Doing what?" He asked me.

"This. All of this, just stop it." I said to him.

"Fine, you want that? As you wish, then, Nicole. Cause you don't get the full picture of why I ask you to dinners and want to go to prom." I stood back as he slammed his door.

**

"Wake up! It's prom day!" Lianne screamed as she threw a pillow at me. I slowly climbed of my bed. She held my hand and jumped up and down.

I took a long, warm, bath. Soaking in the suds, it was soothing and quiet. After drying myself off, I checked in Luis's room. He wasn't there. I thought about what he said last night. Did he mean he liked me? I pushed the idea out and got ready for prom.

The make-up artist came one hour later. "Where can I set up?" She asked as I pointed to a bathroom down stairs. She started off with liquid foundation, finding my exact color and shade.

"Where's Luis?" I asked Lianne.

"Some meeting, he's gonna be there all day." Lianne said. I nodded as the artist put fake eyelashes on my eye- lashes. I was in make-up for an hour, and it took half a spray can of hairspray and two hours for my hair to be perfectly curled. I checked my self in the mirror. Every blemish had disappeared, my lips were plush and bright, and my eyes popped with a perfect liquid eye liner wing.

My eyeshadow had sparkles on top of the make-up, and my cheekbones were a bright cherry pink. She put brown eye shadow over my perfect eyebrows. It sparkled everytime I moved. I moved my eyebrows around and giggled. I shook my delicate curls.

"Thank you, this is perfect." I smiled, my bright white teeth shining. I was so beautiful.

"Here, choose your jewlery." She opened a briefcase filled with necklaces and bracelets. I settled on matching diamond earrings and necklace. I put it on, it sparkled like a thousand stars at night.

My dress was elegant. It was a tangerine, sleeveless dress. Tight at the top and poofy at the bottom, it was sprinkled with diamonds, a ruffle bottom with a mixture of orange and pink. My nails matched exactly, the perfect shade of orange. All I had to do was wait for my date to come.

It was just me alone, in my dress, looking beautiful. Justin was supposed to be here at 5:45, it was 6:00. It's ok, guys are always late. At 6:05, the doorbell rang. I practically jumped at the door and opened it.

"You're a little late, but-oh it's you." I said to Lianne.

"I left my phone. Wait so he's not here yet?" She asked.

"Nope, he might be late though. Just a few minutes late." I defended.

"Anyways, I gotta go." She said, grabbing her phone and leaving. I sighed, as I sat down, a little disappointed.

It turned from ten minutes, to thirty minutes, to an hour. I came with one conclusion, he had stood me up.

It took me from 8 am to 8pm to FINALLY get this chapter done. Enjoy :)