Chapter 45- There was a knock

{ 3 am }

There was a knock at the door, a frantic knock. I jumped out of my sleep, confused. I then checked the time, 3 am. Maybe I was dreaming? The knock came again, a loud banging. "Luis." I said, trying to wake him up. I shook his back.

"Hm?" He asked, drowsily.

"There's someone at the door, and I'm scared." I said. Who the hell would be at our house at three in the morning.

"What time is it?" He asked, still under the covers. The knocking continued. Luis heard it too, and he crawled out the bed. "You stay here." He instructed.

"No way, hell no." I said, remembering that night when someone broke in. I remember feeling so useless and petrified that someone would harm Luis. I had a feeling it wasn't anyone breaking in, I mean, who would knock? I followed him downstairs, but stayed at the steps and he walked at the door and opened it. Relief flooded as it was only Eddie. In his hand he had a baby car seat with baby Edeline sleeping as well as a baby bag.

"Jeez, do you guys answer your phones? I rang you like twenty times." He said sounding exhausted. He looked tired too.

"Dude, I'm sorry I don't answer my phone at three am." Luis said sarcastically, leaning on the door frame for support. Poor thing was so tired.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, walking down the stairs.

"Oh yeah." He said, then began to yawn. "Could you two watch Edeline for me?" He asked. "Kayla's in labor." He said casually as if it were nothing.

"What!" I exclaimed, excited. "Are you serious! What are you doing here still? Why didn't she call me?" I asked.

"Relax. I know for a fact it's Braxton Hicks. She's only eight months and her contractions were like three hours apart." He said, shaking his head. "But you and I both know how persistent Kayla is, and she said she has a motherly feeling it's the real thing. Anyways, she drove herself to the hospital in the middle of the night and called me, so now I have to go there and just to hear the doctors say it's just Braxton Hicks at three am." He said in an unamused, monotoned voice. "So, can you two watch Edeline, I didn't want to bring her to the hospital." He said.

"Sure." Luis answered, as Eddie gave him the carriage and the baby bag on his shoulder.

"Thanks. I'll be back by morning. There's diapers, her favorite toys, and milk all in that bag. She usually sleeps throughout the night until three, so you should be fine." He said as he walked away.

"But Eddie, it's three right now." Luis said, concerned. Either Eddie was too tired to hear or just choose to ignore Luis because he jumped in his car and left. I shut the door quietly as Luis put down the baby bag and put the car seat down too. I looked at baby Edeline sleeping so soundly, snoring a little with her puffy little cheeks that she got from her mom, and lips that she got from her dad. She was truly joy to both Eddie and Kayla, how bad could she be?

How bad could she be.

It was as if a "mommy and daddy aren't here" radar went off on her and she began, not crying, but screaming. Her face was red and she seemed agitated. Luis tried calming her down, rocking her in his arms, but she kept on crying. She was wailing her arms and kicking her legs, screaming.

"Shh baby, it'll be okay." Luis said, trying to hush her. In the meantime, I was in the baby bag, searching for anything that would make her stop crying. I was kinda freaking out, pulling out diapers and onesies during the process. I finally found a pacifier and rushed over to Edeline and gave it to her. It actually soothed her for a minute.

"Is she going to be like this all night?!" I whisper screamed to Luis, who was admiring her. He wiped her wet face as she stared at him with her big brown eyes.