Chapter 29

"Nicole?" Luis asked. "What the hell is-"

"You went through my stuff?" I asked, my heart breaking. I was so betrayed.

"Nicole, you're ignoring my-"

"You went through my stuff." I repeated, more of a statement.

"Why do you have this?" He asked.

"It's not about why I have the Alzheimer's results. It's you went through my personal belongings and are questioning me." I pointed to n

myself in anger.

"Where did you get it? How long have you had this?" He stood up from the kitchen chair.

"That is none of your business. Now give me my freaking results!" I said.

"I told you I didn't want you to know. I specifically told you I didn't want you to know." He said.

"Well it's not your life. It's mine! I want to know if I will forget everything, forget this house, forget this life, and most importantly, forget you." I spat.

"It's gonna ruin your life."

"No Luis, it's not. You are ruining my life. What's gonna ruin my life is this disease that will eat me alive to make me forget everything. Now, give me the envelope." I said as I stretched out my hand.

"No. I'm not letting you find out. I am your guardian-"

"Here we go with the guardian crap!" I said, placing my hands on my head. He then walked out the kitchen. "Where the hell do you think you're going? Don't walk away from me!" I yelled as I marched behind him.

He walked in his office, and suddenly, I knew. My eyes widened as I ran inside, but the sound of the shredder made me know it was too late. I ran in to see the final pieces of paper be shred. I pushed my hair away from my forehead, my mouth gaping.

I opened the machine to see papers shredded.

"No, no, no. You son of a bitch!" I screamed, punching him up as tears came in my eyes.

"Hey, hey, stop it." He grabbed my fists. "I'm doing it for your own good, and if you don't see it now, when you're eighteen, go for it because you won't be in my life." He said before throwing my arms and walking away. He slammed the door, making a picture frame drop.

I shruddered as it fell and shattered. I felt shakened up with the whole conversation. I gulped before slamming my door and going to bed.

***

He didn't talk to me, and I didn't say a word to him. The house was quiet, due to the fact no one was exchanging words. He was mad at me and I was mad at him. Which was fine because I was mad at him first.

"We have a red carpet appearance in two days." He blurted as I finished chopping up some carrots. He was then out the door.

"Wait, what?" I asked myself before going out. "Excuse me?" I asked confused.

"Okay. We, have red carpet appearance in two days." He said slowly, using signs as if I were dumb.

"I heard you. Why should I go?" I asked, folding my arms.

"Ugh. Why do you have to make it complicated. Just come with me." He said, lifting his arms up.

"So you don't talk to me all day, and expect me to go with you. Like a defenseless little girl?" I asked.

"You know what, just forget I asked you. You take everything away from me anyways." He said before walking away.

"What the hell is that supposed to mean? That I'm tying you down? Says the one that ripped up my results." I asked.