Chapter 32

(Nicole's POV)

"I was so worried about you!" I hugged Lianne as she slowly sat up. "Here, drink some water." I said as I poured water and gave it to her.

"Thanks. Where's Luis?" She asked.

"He's sleeping. That pour kid wouldn't leave your side, so I forced him to go home and take a shower. He'd probably knock you out with his smell."

"My sides are killing me." She winced. "I remember falling somewhere and-"

"Don't bother thinking about it. What matters is you're okay." I hugged her again and she managed to smile. I called Luis and told him Lianne was awake.

"So, tell me about you and my brother." She said, winking.

"Nothing's going on unfortunately. And besides he loves Hailey. I'm just gonna let thinks die off slowly, after all this is all gonna be done by the end of this year." I said as she made a face.

"Everyone's rooting for you guys. We all ship your relationship. Don't you realize that the fans adore you?" She said.

"Yeah but Luis doesn't." I quickly stopped talking as a doctor walked in.

"Hello, Ms. Jones. And hello, Mrs. Jones." She said, referring to Lianne and I. "Okay, sit up for me straight and take deep breaths." She put the stethoscope on her back. "Good. We'll just keep you overnight for observation." She said as she left.

"Just one more question!" She begged.

"Nope, no more about me and him!" I said laughing.

"Okay so, the gift store had so many things to buy so I brought everything." I turned to see Luis holding gifts in his hands as he walked in. He showered his sister in teddy bears and blankets and flowers.

"Frankly I'm a little jealous." I joked as he gave her eight stuffed animals.

"What's this for bro?" Lianne asked, eyeing him.

"Can't I show my appreciation of my sister's well being through presents?" He asked. "I canceled all my meetings today and tomorrow. And I got the guest room set just for you. I'm going over to pack your things and you can stay with me-us for as long as you need." He rambled as he hugged her tightly. "I looked at your car, it looks a little dusty. Want me to wash it? Matter of fact, I'll just get you a new one." He said as he walked out.

I excused myself as I went after him. "Luis, honey." I said, touching him as he turned around.

"It's my fault. It happened at the apartment that she fell and I should've listened to you. I should have given her a nice house or even a condo before something happened in that crummy apartment and I blame myself. She's the only close family I have and she's my little sister." He breathed in and sighed.

"Luis, don't make what I said to you effect on what happened. She fell, alright? She could fall in that crummy apartment or the White House. You cannot stop her from falling." I said to him. I put my arms around him. "She'll be fine. She'll be just fine." I said.

***

After another day in the hospital, Lianne was able to go home. Luis drove her home, carefully driving on every pot hole, every stop light, every speed bump he passed.

"Hey, whose car is that?" Luis asked as we got in the driveway. "No." He muttered.

"It can't be." Lianne said, covering her mouth.

"Who?" I said.

In unison they both said it emotionless. "Mother."

***