Chapter 30

"I want a divorce." I kept repeating it to my reflection on my mirror. "Luis, this is not working and I'm just gonna stay at Kayla's." I rehearsed what I was gonna say. Yeah, I wanted a divorce. He could stay with Hailey and when the marriage expires, that'll be it. I breathed a sigh and walked downstairs.

"Luis?" I called as I walked around the house. I could've sworn I heard him. "Luis?" I walked into the game room and then the kitchen. "Oh my Gosh!"

I jumped up out of my sleep, my heart racing. I gulped as I caught oxygen for my lungs. "I need water." I got up and went downstairs and poured myself a glass of water. As I drank, I began shaking, my nerves shooken up from the dream.

I could hardly remember anything though. Just Luis and something. I took a seat at the table and tried to calm down. Maybe some hot cocoa will let me relax. I turned on the kettle and patiently waited, surfing through my phone.

I walked out the kitchen, but bumped into something. I jumped, dropping my phone.

"Nicole?" He asked. I picked up my phone to see a small crack on the screen.

"Hey." I said to him, wiping the tiredness out my eyes.

"Why are you up?" He asked.

"Just wanted some hot cocoa." I said as he nodded. "Wait, why are you up?" I asked him.

"I uh-" He was interrupted by the screaming kettle. I turned it down before pouring the hot water in a mug.

"Do you want a cup?" I asked him. He nodded. I added the powder and poured it in. As I headed upstairs, he stopped me.

"Nicole, why don't we share this outside?" He suggested. I turned around and headed toward the balcony and sat on the swinging chair. The cold breeze was harsh to my cold skin. Luis came out with a blanket and we sat together, slowly swinging, drinking hot cocoa.

I made no effort to talk, as if it wasn't already awkward. The only sound was a creaky noise the swing made and the slurping of hot cocoa.

I looked at our huge backyard. The nice shady tree was over the closed built in pool. The perfectly trimmed grass that was so green complimented the flowers in the corner. Luis then coughed.

"So." He said. I looked around at him.

"So." I repeated. "Some good hot cocoa right?" I asked.

"Only the best." He said.

"Luis, why are we doing this? If this is how it's gonna be, then I don't want to." I said to him.

"Me neither. I hate fighting with you." He said.

"Let's just be honest with each other, deal?" I asked.

"Deal. I'm so relieved Hailey, you don't understand and-"

"Whoa. Did you just call me Hailey?" I asked, looking at him. My eyes were locked on him. He tried looking away. He slurped his cocoa that I knew was cold.

"Some good hot cocoa." He repeated, nodding. If only looks could kill.

"Okay." I said, finally before getting up and going to the kitchen where I threw the mug in the sink and walked upstairs.

"Nicole wait." He touched my shoulder. I shrugged him off. Then, I felt two hands around my waist and I was pulled off the floor. "What did we just say right here? That we wouldn't get mad at each other." He said.

"Actually, I said to be honest with each other." I corrected.

"Yeah, well whatever. Now I know I'm a jerky guy, but give me a break, I'm begging." He said.