Chapter 48- No Distractions

I woke up to Luis sleeping beside me. Memories of our night in bed last night came flooding in. I it my lip. Maybe we could squeeze another round in before I had to work? I then looked at my phone and saw the time as well as a text message from my receptionist. Come to the office quick! There's a package for you! I quickly got ready and headed off to my office. I wasn't expecting a package. I wonder what it could be. 

***

"It is my honor to invite you to showcase your pieces and designs on the runway at this year's New York Fashion Week!" I read the paper aloud. The date was only one month from now. I squealed and began to cry. After two years of working on my wedding dress line, people would be able to see my designs and my dresses. They would know me for me, and not being the wife of Luis Jones.

I called my team, which included fashion designers, publicist, and my manager to have an emergency meeting.

"I am so proud of you!" Julio, my fashion designer said. "I have this grand dress that I think will be perfect for the fashion show!" He said, as he opened his Ipad and showed me some sketches.

"Now, it's usually fifteen designs per designer, but since you are new this year and have to prove your worth, I'm bumping that to twenty designs." My publicist, Jennifer said.

"Twenty?! I think I could get some new designs done by the end of this month." I said.

"End of this month? Honey, we need to go three weeks prior, so you can meet the models and see how the runway is. Not to mention, interviews and press release." Jennifer corrected.

"But.. That's next week!" I exclaimed. "How on earth am I going to get twenty new designs out in a week?!"

"Don't worry about that, I can get something done. We could do a woman's white pant suit for one of them, and you have a few new dresses in your boutique that no one has seen. Just use those." He suggested. I nodded, as I checked the inventory on my phone. "You're right, there are eight new dresses that I was saving for a photoshoot. And they are fairly new. Never before worn." I said.

"Perfect!" Julio said.

"I'll also forward you designs I was working on. I think I know what the theme will be. All American Bride, where each dress will be a tribute to a major state and what their style is." I suggested.
We brainstormed a few ideas and themes and settled with wedding dresses that were inspired by famous monuments  of the world such as The Eiffel Tower, Statue of Liberty, and the Leaning Tower of Pisa.
Before I knew it, it was already close to lunch. My phone buzzed. I picked it up and looked at it.
"Crap. I totally forgot I have an appointment with a client in twenty minutes." I interrupted.

After being silent the whole meeting, my manager, Gloria, finally spoke. "Could I speak with you in private?" She asked me, sternly. I gave a confused look before telling Julio and Jennifer to wait in the hallway outside.

"Yes?" I asked.

"Sweetheart, now is not the time to be worrying about clients! All your attention needs to be put towards NYFW." Gloria said.

"Yeah but-" She cut me off.

"No buts. You are going to be the first wedding designer since Vera Wang to be featured at NYFW. Millions will see your designs. No distractions." She instructed. She gave me a lecturing look. I reluctantly agreed.

"Fine. I guess I can push some brides to the side this month." I suggested.

"Not guess. You will." She demanded. "Have you ever thought of getting an assistant?" Gloria asked.

"Well, no. I usually do everything, plus I have you." I answered.

"You should consider getting one. So you can juggle NYFW while they worry about your clients." She said.