𝗦𝗜𝗫𝗧𝗬-𝗧𝗪𝗢. 𝗛𝗘'𝗦 𝗔𝗟𝗦𝗢 𝗣𝗥𝗘𝗧𝗧𝗬

CHAPTER SIXTY-TWO: HE'S ALSO PRETTY

     TO say that Inez loved Professor Lupin was an understatement. The way he taught the class made her love the subject of Defense Against the Dark Arts more than she had before. He made it entertaining and fun to learn. It also helped that he offered to help the girl on Friday after dinner with catching up on coursework.

While other professors had wanted her to not only learn the material from the term she missed, most also wanted her to turn in the essays, tests, and other assignments as well. However, Professor Lupin simply wanted her to understand what it was that she needed to learn. He didn't care about making her do the essays or tests that she had missed. He just wanted her to understand the material she missed so that she could understand what she was learning now.

Professor Lupin made learning the make up work easy. He didn't just have her read through the book and take notes. He took the time to explain what she missed, going into detail about each creature or spell that the class had learned about. They both decided that it was best for them to meet up for a few weeks and go into detail about things slowly so as to not overwhelm her.

Once Inez had finished her first lesson with Professor Lupin, she helped him clean up the books and parchment that they had used. As they did so they got to talking.

"I couldn't help but think that you look familiar," the teacher said as he took the stack of books that the girl handed him. "I feel like I've met you before but your last name doesn't sound ring any bells."

"Really?" Inez asked as her eyebrows furrowed. "Well, my last name used to be Carter. I was adopted recently so my last name changed. My mom's brother is Ted Tonks. Maybe you know him."

Professor Lupin's face lit up in recognition of the names.

"Ted is married to Andromeda and they have a daughter, right?" The man asked, gaining a nod from Inez. "Andromeda is the cousin of an old school friend of mine. We went to visit them a few times and your mother and father brought you along when we were there. I remember you were a few months old when I met you for the first time. Last time I saw you, you were about two and a half years old."

"You knew me as a baby? What was I like?" Inez asked eagerly as she sat on one of the desks in the front row.

Professor Lupin sat on the edge of his desk as he thought back to the handful of times he had met Inez and her family.

"Well, I didn't see you much. Only a handful of times I believe. But you were always happy. Your father always knew how to get you to laugh when you started to fuss. Your mother loved watching your cousin play with you. My friend always loved holding you and running around with you in his arms. From what I remember, you were a happy child. Always smiling and laughing without a care in the world."

Inez felt her eyes water as she looked down at her lap. She sniffled as she thought about her parents and how much she missed them. She hadn't allowed herself to think about them very often since their death, pushing away any thoughts of them if she could help it.

"Are you alright?" Professor Lupin asked with a frown. "Have I said something to upset you?"

"It's not you, Professor. It's just, I haven't thought about my parents in a long time, and how you described me as a baby isn't how I would describe myself now," Inez let out a small, humorless laugh. "It's just nice to know that at one point I was like that."