𝗧𝗪𝗘𝗡𝗧𝗬-𝗦𝗘𝗩𝗘𝗡. 𝗧𝗛𝗔𝗧 𝗪𝗔𝗦 𝗔𝗪𝗘𝗦𝗢𝗠𝗘

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN: THAT WAS AWESOME

TWO days after Christmas, Inez was rushing around the apartment to get ready before her and Steve had to leave. She could not for the life of her find the shoes her and Steve had gotten her the day before and it was frustrating her. She felt tears of frustration brim in eyes but held them back as she continued looking.

"Hey kiddo you almost ready to go?" Steve asked as he walked into the living room, completely ready to leave.

"I can't find my shoes," Inez groaned as she looked up at the blonde, her tears of frustration making an appearance again.

"Hey it's okay. We'll look together so that way we can cover more ground," Steve said before kneeling down to look under the couch.

Inez felt herself begin to become less frustrated but still felt extremely anxious about the day. She moved to check her room again, rubbing her eyes as she walked down the hall. After a few minutes, Steve had found the shoes under the coffee table which confused both of them as they remembered Inez taking them straight to her room the day prior.

Once the girl had her shoes on and checked herself once more in the mirror, the two walked out of the apartment and to the parking lot. Steve began to walk towards a car that was parked near the exit of the building which greatly confused the girl.

"Steve, where are you going?"

"I have a surprise for you," Steve smiled as the doors to the car opened.

Bruce, Clint, Nat and Thor exited the car and smiled at the girl. Inez immediately ran up to Nat and jumped on the woman, hugging her.

"I can't believe you all are here!" Inez exclaimed as she squeezed the redhead woman. "Also thank you for the presents."

"I'm glad you liked them. Especially the purple one," Nat said referring to the purple pocket knife that she had gotten despite Steve telling her not to.

Inez quickly hugged the other three who came to surprise her. She was especially excited to see Bruce as she hadn't seen him since the attack on New York. It meant a lot to her that he would take the time out of his schedule to come and see her get adopted.

After a few minutes the six squished into the car. Nat had thankfully rented one with a third seat in the front, Inez taking it while Steve drove and Thor sat in the passenger seat. Clint, Nat and Bruce squished into the backseat which made Inez laugh.

During their drive to the courthouse Inez bounced her leg as she thought of every possible situation that could come out of today. She wondered if there was a way that everything would go to shit and Steve wouldn't get to adopt her or if she would be taken away from him.

However, those thoughts could not be farther from what would happen. Walking out of the courtroom, Inez had tears rolling down her face. She didn't know that last time she felt this happy. She was now legally Inez Elizabeth Rogers. She was feeling indifferent about ridding herself of her last name as it connected her to her parents but Peggy Carter had ruined that for her. Her and the others were all going to go get ice cream to celebrate.

Steve let Inez jump on his back once they were in the hallway on the courthouse. Nat smiled at the pair as Inez practically shook in excitement.

"This is the best day of my life!" Inez squealed as she held onto Steve. "You guys don't understand how much it means to me that you all came to support me."

"We wouldn't miss it for the world kiddo," Nat smiled up at the girl. "Did you tell the twins about today yet?"

"No, not yet. I'm going to surprise them when I get back to school."

The six loaded into the car quickly, Steve driving them all to an ice cream shop nearby. As Steve, Clint, Bruce and Nat went to order for them all, they sent Thor with Inez to find a table for them all. Thor had insisted on bringing his hammer into the ice cream shop with them after not being able to take it into the court house.

"You know, your hammer is the coolest thing I've ever seen," Inez said once she and Thor were seated. "Can I hold it?"

Thor let out a laugh before going on to explain to the girl that only those worthy could hold the hammer. Inez nodded as she took in his words.

"Do you think I could be worthy?"

"There could never be anyone more worthy than you child," Thor smiled at the girl before gesturing to the hammer. "Why don't you have a try."

Inez smiled brightly before setting her hand on the handle of the hammer. She took a deep breath before tugging on it with all her might just for it to wack her in the forehead. Inez dropped the hammer to the ground as she leaned back in her chair, holding her head in her hands as she groaned in pain.

"Odin's beard! Inez are you alright?" Thor asked urgently as he almost fell out of his chair.

"That was awesome!" The girl cheered as she let go of her head. "I'm alright, it only hurt a little bit. Just don't tell Steve about any of it alright? He'll have a heart attack."

Thor just stared at the girl before eventually nodding his head in agreement when he saw the others walking towards them.

•••

THE next morning Steve and Inez decided that they would go see a movie in theaters. They wanted to have a calm day after all the excitement of Inez's adoption the day prior. The father and daughter dressed in sweats and their new Weasley sweaters before taking Steve's bike to the movie theater.

"Alright what movie do you want to see kiddo?" Steve asked as they waited in line to buy their tickets.

"Well Parental Guidance starts in about fifteen minutes. That should give us time to grab popcorn before it starts," Inez suggested as she looked between different start times.

Steve nodded in agreement and once it was their turn, they bought two tickets for the movie. The pair stood in line together to get drinks and popcorn before they quickly found seats towards the back.

The pair watched the movie happily. It felt nice to relax and not have to worry about anything for a while. Inez loved being able to watch a movie for the first time in theaters since before her first year at Hogwarts. Her least favorite thing about the school was that there was no technology which included television. She hated having to catch up on not just tv shows and movies but also music whenever she was on holiday from school.

Walking out of the theater, Steve turned to Inez.

"That girl from the movie looks just like you," the man said as they kept walking towards the exit of the building.

"I don't see it," Inez said as she shrugged her shoulders.

The rest of Inez's winter holiday was spent relaxing and completing her and Steve's Christmas checklist.

ELYSIUM SPEAKS!!
so i completely forgot
when i published this
chapter to add the
manip i made so i'm
adding it right now at
the top. happy reading!!