𝗧𝗛𝗜𝗥𝗧𝗬-𝗦𝗘𝗩𝗘𝗡. 𝗜𝗧'𝗦 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗘𝗠𝗢

𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗧𝗛𝗜𝗥𝗧𝗬-𝗦𝗘𝗩𝗘𝗡: 𝗜𝗧'𝗦 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗘𝗠𝗢

     The five sat in the car as Sam drove on the freeway, Inez clutching her backpack as she watched Sitwell out of the corner of her eye. She already didn’t trust him as he worked with HYDRA but she trusted him even less now that she was trapped in a car with him again. 

“HYDRA doesn’t like leaks.” 

Inez rolled her eyes at the bespeckled man before turning her gaze out the window. 

“Then why don’t you try sticking a cork in it?” Sam said as he looked at the other man through the rearview mirror. 

Inez withheld a snicker as Nat leaned forward and in between the two men in the front seats. 

“Insight’s launching in sixteen hours,” she informed as she looked between them. “We’re cutting it a little bit close here.” 

Inez found herself wrapping the hem of her shirt around her thumb as she felt her nerves grow. She was unsure how exactly they planned on stopping Project Insight but knew that they couldn’t screw this up. 

“I know,” Steve assured as he continued staring ahead. “We’ll use him to bypass the DNA scans and access the helicarriers directly.” 

Inez nodded, muttering, “Seems legit.” 

Nat gave her a weird look before turning her attention back to Sitwell who sat forward in his seat. The man was looking between the father and daughter as he questioned their logic. 

“What? Are you crazy? That is a terrible, terrible idea.” 

“Guys,” Inez froze. “My bad feeling’s back.” 

There was a thud, as if someone had landed on the top of their car before the left back side window was smashed in and a metal arm threw Sitwell out the car. Inez realized in that moment that the silver sleeve she had seen on the man who had shot Fury was not a silver sleeve. It was a fucking metal arm. 

The man moved so he was now crouched on the top of the car. Nat pushed herself into the front seat and onto Steve’s lap, pulling him away from the seat moments before a bullet went straight through where he had just been. Sam barely dodged them as bullets were shot through the ceiling and into his seat as well. 

Steve put the car in park causing the brakes to screech as Inez let out a scream. The man was thrown off of the car, flying through the air until he landed and did a roll. He slid on his knee, his metal hand digging into the road creating indents where his fingers were. 

“Holy shit!” Inez breathed out. “It’s the emo that killed Fury. He’s back.” 

All four of them stared at the man now standing in the middle of the road. Inez turned her head to look behind them, screaming when she saw the jeep coming towards them and not stopping. 

The jeep continued on as they rammed into the car and pushed it along, Sam pulling Inez into the front with him. The man in the road jumped onto the car, laying on it. Sam hit the break as he tried to move their car away from the jeep, but to no avail. Nat attempted to reach for her fallen gun while Inez gripped onto Sam’s shirt in one hand and Steve’s wrist with the other. 

The man on their car reached through the windshield and ripped the steering wheel out, causing Inez to gape at the glass that flew everywhere. 

“Shit!” 

Nat shot through the roof at the man who then jumped onto the jeep behind them. The jeep once again rammed into the car, shoving them into the cement barricade. Steve strapped his shield onto his right arm and gripped onto the other three with his left. Sam held onto Inez as Steve threw them out of the car. The car flew through the air, Inez getting caught between the seats while the other three landed on the road with the car door.