𝗧𝗛𝗜𝗥𝗧𝗬-𝗦𝗜𝗫. 𝗖𝗛𝗜𝗟𝗗 𝗟𝗢𝗖𝗞 𝗜𝗦 𝗢𝗡

𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗧𝗛𝗜𝗥𝗧𝗬-𝗦𝗜𝗫: 𝗖𝗛𝗜𝗟𝗗 𝗟𝗢𝗖𝗞 𝗜𝗦 𝗢𝗡

     THE next morning, Sam woke Inez up to let her know he was leaving for his morning run. She gave him a simple thumbs up in response before throwing her blankets back over her head. She had barely slept, spending most of the night reading to distract herself from the thoughts of what was happening to Steve. She had gotten the gut feeling he was in trouble again shortly after she went to bed, causing her to think of any possible situation.

She got another hour of sleep before being woken up again to the sound of the front door opening. She decided to check to make sure it was just Sam, just in case. The girl poked her head out the bedroom door and smiled when she spotted a sweaty Sam heading towards the kitchen. She rushed into the room and hopped up onto the freshly cleaned counter with a grin.

“How was the run?” Inez asked as she swung her feet back and forth.

“Oh, you know,” Sam said as he attempted to catch his breath. “Tiring.”

Inez snorted, accepting the carton of chocolate milk the man passed her while he grabbed the orange juice for himself. The girl drank straight out of the new carton, thankful that Sam had stopped on their way to his house the day before to get her some.

An urgent knock on the sliding glass door several feet away caught both of the two’s attention. Inez looked up at Sam, fear evident in her eyes. Sam put the cap back onto the orange juice before setting it on the counter.

“Go to your room,” he said quietly before glancing over his shoulder. “Do your little invisible act until I tell you to come out. I’ll say the word we agreed upon last night when it's safe.”

Another knock was heard causing Inez to rush off. As soon as she got into the room, she focused on making herself invisible. The moment she couldn’t see herself in the mirror anymore, the girl looked around the room and realized her stuff wasn’t put away. She quickly focused on imagining the room was back to the way it was before she arrived and she suddenly couldn’t see her belongings anymore.

The two minutes that she was hiding in the bedroom felt like the longest two minutes of her life. She heard several pairs of footsteps walking towards the room causing her to think the worst. S.H.I.E.L.D. agents had found them and took Sam away and were now coming to take her.

If that was the case, she knew she could easily take the agents on. She’d have the element of surprise when they couldn’t see her and then she could blast them back, two at a time.

“Fuck Jake Gyllenhaal,” a voice said as the door opened.

The phrase made Inez instantly drop her illusions and sigh in relief. She looked to the doorway to see Steve and Natasha standing behind Sam, looking a mix between confused and amused. The three watched as relief flooded the girl’s face before she rushed towards her dad. She jumped onto the blonde and he lifted her up to hold her close.

“I hate you sometimes,” Inez muttered as she squeezed the man.

“I know. I’m sorry,” Steve laughed lightly as he held her tighter.

“You smell really bad.”

Nat was the first one to laugh at the girl’s words. Steve just chuckled before setting the girl back on her feet. Inez was quick to also hug Nat who ruffled her hair while holding her close.

“Alright the kid’s right,” Sam said after a moment. “You two need showers. The second quest room is the door to the left. While you two fight over the shower, we’ll make breakfast.”