𝗧𝗪𝗘𝗡𝗧𝗬-𝗙𝗜𝗩𝗘. 𝗦𝗧𝗘𝗩𝗘 𝗜𝗧'𝗦 𝗙𝗜𝗡𝗘

𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗧𝗪𝗘𝗡𝗧𝗬-𝗙𝗜𝗩𝗘: 𝗦𝗧𝗘𝗩𝗘 𝗜𝗧'𝗦 𝗙𝗜𝗡𝗘

     ON Inez's second day back in DC, she was woken up by Steve at around ten o'clock. She reluctantly got out of her bed and got ready for whatever it was that Steve wanted to do for the day. The girl wasn't sure what the man had planned but she was pretty sure that it wouldn't be as fun as staying in bed all day.

"Alright, are you ready to go kiddo?" Steve asked when Inez walked out of her bedroom and into the living room.

"I guess. Why'd you have to wake me up so early?" Inez whined as she walked to the door.

"Inez it's literally already ten thirty," Steve sighed.

"Yeah it's early."

Steve rolled his eyes and the two walked out of the apartment. They quickly made their way out of the building and to Steve's motorcycle and the sidecar for Inez. When Steve first got the bike, Inez was worried about how she would get around with him but then he showed her the side car and she almost cried. It felt nice knowing that he thought about her when he was getting the bike.

The two got settled and they were off. Throughout the ride, Inez watched the world pass by as her hair blew around. She was glad she remembered to bring her brush with her because by the time they arrived at whatever building they were at, her hair was a mess.

"I uh, I wanted to surprise you with seeing your grandma today. I know you haven't seen her in a while and thought it'd be good for you," Steve said as Inez but her brush away.

The girl's head popped up quickly with wide eyes. She had really missed her grandma and hadn't seen her since she was nine. Her parents stopped taking her to America to see her and the couple seemed to be upset about something but the girl never wanted to upset them by asking what was wrong. To be honest when she was told that she would be put in the care of Steve Rogers, she assumed that her grandmother was gone.

"She's alive?" Inez asked in a small voice that made Steve's heart clench.

"Yeah, she's alive. Who told you she wasn't?" Steve asked as he gave the child a concerned look.

"I haven't seen her since I was nine. My parents seemed upset about something after our last visit to see her when she had an episode and then I was left to you and I just assumed she had passed away and they didn't have the heart to tell me," Inez explained as she felt her eyes burn with tears.

She blinked away any tears she felt coming to her eyes and quickly told Steve she was ready to see Peggy. The man nodded and patted the girl's back before leading her into the nursing home. They signed in at the front desk before being taken to Peggy's room.

"Mrs. Carter, you have some visitors here to see you," the nurse said as she opened the door slightly.

"Visitors?" The woman asked hopefully as she looked towards the door.

Inez slowly walked into the room, nervously, with Steve following not far after her. The girl felt her eyes prick with tears once again as she moved towards her grandmother.

"Inez is that you?" Peggy asked as she looked at the girl in confusion.

"It is Grandma," Inez smiled a teary smile before frowning at her grandmother's face. "What's wrong?"

"Where are your parents? I thought I made myself very clear last time they visited," Peggy spoke before looking behind the girl. "Steve Rogers?"

Inez felt a single tear fall from her eyes as she looked at the woman. What had her and her parents done to the woman for her to act this way? Had she not gotten the news that her parents had passed? Steve looked between the girl and her grandmother with a frown before stepping towards the woman.

"Um yeah it's me Peggy," Steve spoke before clearing his throat. "After Sigyn and Michael passed away, Inez was left in my care. I uh, I really love having her. She's lovely to have around."

Peggy seemed to ignore her granddaughter which really hurt the girl. She sat in the chair next to the door while Steve sat and talked with Peggy. The man kept trying to insert Inez into the conversation, but the woman brushed the child off. When they first arrived, Steve thought it might have just been the woman's shock to seeing him for the first time since the war but now he knew it was intentional and it was rubbing him the wrong way. Nobody was going to hurt his kid and get away with it.

"I'm sorry but Peggy, please stop excluding Inez. She was so excited to see you and now she's trying to not cry because you're purposely ignoring her and excluding her. What's the issue?" Steve spoke up as he stood up.

"Steve it's fine," Inez tried to protest but the man cut her off.

"No, it's not fine. I'm not going to let anyone, especially your own grandmother, make you cry," Steve stated firmly.

"She's not my granddaughter!" Peggy blurted out.

Inez looked at the woman, her heart shattering. Steve stared at the gray-haired woman, mouth agape. Just as the man was about to give the woman a piece of his mind, she spoke up.

"She's not my son's daughter. She's not my granddaughter. Her mother was pregnant when they met and she's some other man's kid. Michael refused to speak to me after I told him I refused to accept her as my grandchild," Peggy said as she looked at Steve.

Inez rushed out of the woman's room, slamming the door behind her as she felt her breaths getting caught in her throat. She stopped at the end of the hallway and leaned against the wall as she felt her knees give out. Within seconds Steve was at her side and she was pulled into his side.

"Hey, hey, hey let's breathe, okay? In four, hold seven, out eight. We'll do it together," Steve instructed as he felt the girl grip onto his hand.

He counted them through the breathing exercise until Inez's breathing was steady once again. Steve helped the girl to her feet before pulling her into a hug. She held onto the man tightly with her head buried into his chest for a few moments before saying she wanted to go home. Steve nodded and quickly got them signed out.

"I know this probably isn't the best time to mention it and I was going to wait for Christmas to tell you this, but I think it might cheer you up," Steve said as they walked into the parking lot. "I uh, of course only if you want to, completely up to you but I have a date on the twenty-seventh at the courthouse if you would be okay with me legally adopting you."

Inez stopped in the middle of the parking lot as she stared at the man in shock. Steve looked down at the girl with a nervous glance. Inez made a noise of surprise and shock before nodding her head wildly.

"This is, I just," Inez started before taking a deep breath. "I would love that."