Chapter 79

Chapter 79

ShyAnne's POV

*Three Days Later*

Today's the day. The dreaded, long awaited day. There's many emotions swirling around in my mind and I've chosen the option of just not speaking all day so my twenty emotions don't all pour out at once. Today, Elijah is supposed to get off his ventilator. If all goes well, he'll be home tomorrow. All did not go well last time, so I'm not very hopeful. On the other hand, Andy's been like an excited puppy the last few days. He can't wait to get to the hospital everyday and see Elijah's progress. He's the one that's leading the charge into the hospital this time around while I'm just trailing behind. We rounded the corner to the NICU and didn't see a group of nurses and doctors around his bassinet which is a good sign.

"We were able to successfully remove his ventilator and he's been strong ever since. We are checking every hour just to be safe, but I'd say there's a good chance he'll be out of here tomorrow."

"Does that mean we can hold him?" Andy asked.

"With proper precautions, yes." He said. Andy looked at me with the biggest smile I've seen on his face since Eliza was released from the NICU a month ago. We geared up and headed into the NICU. Elijah's bassinet no longer had the top on it, meaning we no longer had to touch him through holes in the plastic. We sat down on either side of him and I couldn't help but smile. For the first time in my son's life, there's no tube down his throat and he's breathing on his own. Andy reached into the bassinet and picked up Elijah, careful of the wires that were attached to him.

"Oh my god." Andy whispered, blinking away tears. He looked up at me, the look in his eyes making me start to cry. "I'm holding our son." He said, his voice cracking. "Daddy loves you so much Elijah. You're going to come home tomorrow and never have to come back here again." He cooed, stroking his cheek with his gloved hand. "Do you want to hold him?" He asked me and I nodded. He stood up and leaned over the bassinet, handing the baby to me.

I opened my mouth to speak, but the only thing that escaped was a sob. Tears wet my mask as I sobbed, so happy that I was finally able to hold my son.

"He's perfect." I managed to say, realizing this was the first time I had seen his actual face. "Thank you for giving me a son." I said to Andy, looking up at him. It took a while before I finally put him back down in the bassinet. "I don't want to leave him, I just want to sit here and hold him all day." I said, reaching in and stroking his cheek.

"We'll be back tomorrow and we'll bring him home." Andy said. We picked him up again, taking pictures of each other holding him. We got up and left, going back home. On the way home, I sent the picture to my parents and the band. This was such a huge moment for us and I wanted to shout it from the mountain tops.

"We got to hold him." Andy said as soon as we walked in before his mom could say anything.

"That's wonderful! Does that mean he comes home tomorrow?"

"As long as he stays off the ventilator all night." I said.

"Oh that's so exciting." She smiled.

************************************************************************

Please leave a comment below and let me know what you thought! Comments motivate me to update!