Chapter 147: Consultation

Andy's POV

*One Week Later*

The day after I got home from tour, I did call my urologist that I saw when we were trying to get pregnant with the twins, to make an appointment for a consultation. 

"Andrew Biersack." The nurse called. I stood up and followed her through the door. She took my height, weight, and blood pressure before taking me to a room. The nurse handed me a gown and told me to get changed into it before she left the room. She closed the door behind her and I quickly undressed, pulling the gown on. I folded up my clothes and placed them on one of the chairs in the room. I got up onto the table and looked at the floor as I swung my feet, nervously waiting for the doctor.

"Nice to see you again Mr. Biersack. It's been a while." My doctor said.

"It has." I laughed, nodding.

"I see you're here for a vasectomy consultation, I'm assuming you ended up having kids?" He asked as he washed his hands.

"Yup, five of them." I said proudly.

"Five? Wow!" He said, picking up my chart and flipping through it. "I only saw you five years ago. Five kids in five years?" He asked incredulously.

"Yes sir." I laughed. "We had a set of twins in 2022 and then recently had a set of triplets. So, we are obviously ready to stop before we get quadruplets." I laughed again.

"Alright, so how sold are you on the idea of a vasectomy?"

"Honestly, I'm terrified." I said, shaking my head. "I don't want to get one, but it does make the most sense out of all of our options. Our triplets were born early and spent four months in the NICU, along with my wife spending three months in the ICU. We're drowning in medical bills and this is the most cost effective solution. It's just very intimidating so I figured the best way to overcome my fear was to come and actually learn the facts."

"Alright." He said, nodding. "Well, your weight and blood pressure are in a normal range there, which makes you an even better candidate. I'm going to do a quick physical exam on you if you don't mind, just to make sure there's no other issues we need to worry about."

"Go ahead." I said, taking a deep breath. He pulled on some gloves and conducted a quick physical exam before standing up to throw his gloves away and rewash his hands.

"Well, everything seems to be normal. I don't feel any bumps, lumps, or abnormalities that we should be concerned about. You said you used to be a smoker and drinker but not any longer?" He asked.

"Since about 2020 I'd say, without any relapses."

"You seem to be in great health Mr. Biersack. Now, let me explain the procedure to you. We make one or two tiny incisions into your scrotum to get the vas deferens which is what allows the sperm to travel. We cut that, remove a small piece, and then tie the two ends together. We do this on the other side and then use dissolvable stitches on the incisions. Super easy and quick. You will likely experience some slight pain and swelling for a few days after the procedure. Pain meds, ice packs, and a jock strap will be your best friend. Avoid sex or strenuous activity for about a week after and then you should be fine to return to normal life such as picking up your kids. Most people return to their desk job the day after, it all depends on the person. It will take about three months on average for your body to rid of all of the sperm. Sometimes ejaculating can speed up the process. You'll come back three months after your procedure to do a semen analysis so I can determine if the sperm is out of your system. Only then is it safe to have unprotected sex without fear of pregnancy. Any questions?"

"It's a little less terrifying, but still doesn't sound like a day at the carnival."

"And it won't ever sound like one." He chuckled. "Take as long as you need to decide. I will go ahead and write you a prescription for a medicine called Ativan. It is an antibiotic and will also help you relax when the day comes. I'm also sending you home with prep instructions and an informational booklet to share with your wife."

"Thank you." I told him as he handed me a stack of papers. He left the room and I got dressed back into my clothes, leaving the gown on the table. I walked out and went to the car, driving home with my head full of too many thoughts.

"So, how'd it go?" ShyAnne asked from her spot on the couch.

"Fine." I shrugged. "I still don't want to do it but it's not as bad as I thought it would be."

"Well, sometimes we have to do things we don't want to do."

"I know." I sighed. "I'll make my decision tomorrow. Here's an information booklet." I said, handing her the pamphlet. I went into my bedroom and placed the other papers on my bedside table, climbing into bed.

***

When I woke up the next day, ShyAnne was already in the kitchen making breakfast. We hadn't really talked about my appointment yesterday.

"Did you read the pamphlet?" I asked her.

"I did. Have you made a decision yet?"

"I think I'm going to do it." I sighed. She turned around and smiled at me.

"That's great Andy!" She exclaimed, running over to me and hugging me.

"I just definitely don't want anymore kids. I don't want to drag this out any longer, I just want to get it over with."

"I know. Thank you so much." I said, kissing the tip of his nose.

"Just so you know, I can't have sex for a week afterwards."

"That's a sacrifice I'm willing to make." She chuckled.

***************************************************************************************

Did Andy make the right choice?

Also, I definitely wrote this during student teaching lol. I'm also probably going to end this book within the next few chapters and then the sequel will come out soon!

Please leave a comment and let me know what you thought! Comments motivate me to update!