Chapter 139

Chapter 139

Andy's POV

*One Month Later*

"Each seizure causes her to have less and less brain activity." The doctor told me. ShyAnne had just had another seizure. They're becoming more frequent.

"I don't care about her brain activity until it is 0. That is when I make decisions. Now, we just wait."

"Okay, I just wanted to let you know." He said as he left the room. I walked up to ShyAnne's bedside and held her hand. 

"Callie's going home today so I can't be up here as much. I hope you'll understand." I sighed. "Hopefully the other two aren't far behind." I leaned down and kissed her forehead. "Please get better soon so we can be a family again." I said. I turned to her parents.

"Callie has to pass the hour car seat test, but after that, I can text you if you guys want to come see her before I leave with her?" I asked them.

"Of course." They said at the same time.

"I'll see you guys in a bit then." I said and left ShyAnne's room. They checked out of their hotel today and were going to stay with ShyAnne so she wasn't alone now that I'm gone. I'm going to try to come down here as often as possible, but I don't want to leave my parents with two toddlers and a newborn, so I'm going to have to feel out Callie's sleep schedule first.

I went up to the NICU with the car seat I had brought with me when I went to go see ShyAnne. I checked in at the desk and she told me what room to go to. I waited in the room for a second before a nurse came in, pushing a bassinet.

"Are you ready to go home?" She cooed as she picked Callie up. She placed her in the car seat and started the time for an hour. I sat in front of the car seat, looking adoringly at my daughter. I couldn't touch her or anything so I wouldn't disrupt the rest. Finally, the timer dinged and my heart skipped a beat. My baby was coming home with me.

"I knew you could do it!" I cheered, picking her up and holding her close. "Oh it feels so good to hold you without all those pesky wires." I chuckled, kissing her forehead. I strapped her back into the car seat and went to the front to go discharge her. I handed her car seat to a nurse while I went to go pull my car around front. I grabbed the car seat from the nurse and sighed as I looked at the other two empty car seats. I strapped Callie's seat into the car and waved goodbye to the nurse as I got into the driver's side. I sent ShyAnne's parents a text and parked in the nearest parking spot. A few minutes later, I saw them walking out of the hospital. I got out of the car and went around to where Callie was, unstrapping her and picking her up.;

"This is your grandma and grandpa Miller." I told her as I passed her off to ShyAnne's mom.

"Oh she is just so cute!" She cooed. She held her for a little bit before passing Callie to her husband. He held her and then passed her back to me.

"You drive safe." Her dad told me.

"Oh I will." I smiled as I strapped Callie back into her car seat. I waved goodbye to them and then drove back to the house. Once in the driveway, I unstrapped Callie's car seat from the car and carried her up to the front door, slowly opening the door.

"Guess who's home!" I announced.

"DADDY!" The twins screamed, running up to me.

"Shh." I said, placing the car seat on the ground and kneeling down to their level. "This is your baby sister, Callie. She's all better and got to come home, but babies sleep a lot, so you need to be very queit." I explained to them.

"Mommy?" Elijah asked.

"Mommy and the other babies are still sick, but they'll be home soon."

"Touch?" Eliza asked.

"Go wash your hands and then you can touch her."

"Come on, I'll help you." My mom told them as she led them to the bathroom. They washed their hands and then came rushing back.

"Okay, be very gentle." I told them. They nodded and reached their hands in, gently stroking her arms. "Can you guys say Callie?" I asked them.

"Cawey." Eliza said and Elijah copied her.

"Very good." I chuckled. "Alright, it's grandma and grandpa's turn." I said, standing up. I pulled Callie from her car seat and handed her to my mom.

"Oh, she is gorgeous." My mom said, stroking the small amount of hair she had on the top of her head.

"Callie and Chloe are supposed to be identical." I told her.

"Oh, that'll be fun." She smiled. "I'm so happy to finally be able to hold her."

"I was too. It was so nice to not hold her with all the wires."

"How's ShyAnne?" She asked as she passed Callie off to my dad. I looked to see the twins were surrounding my dad as he held Callie.

"She keeps having seizures and the doctor said she's showing less and less brain activity." I said, shaking my head. 

"Oh no." My mom said.

"At this point, I don't care which way this goes. I mean, obviously I want her to live. But, I really just want her to be out of pain."

"Yeah, I understand Andy."

"Anyway, I should go set up her bed." I said, going into my bedroom. I pulled one of the bassinets off the wall and set it up on my side of the room. We were using the twins' old things and then just bought one more of everything. I walked back into the living room to have my legs attacked by toddlers.

"Can we old er daddy?" Eliza asked.

"Yes, but you guys need to be very calm." I said and they nodded. "Sit on the couch." I told them and they climbed up onto the couch. I showed Eliza how to hold her arms and she copied me. I grabbed a pillow and placed it on her lap before grabbing Callie from my dad. I carefully placed the small newborn in Eliza's arms and she smiled down at her sister.

"That's your little sister." I told her.

"Si-ster." She said.

"Very good." I smiled, digging my phone out of my pocket. I snapped a picture and then called her name, causing her to look up at me. I snapped another photo and then put my phone down. 

"Alright Elijah, your turn, can you make your arms look the same as mine?" He nodded. I grabbed Callie from Eliza and then grabbed the pillow with my other hand. I placed the pillow on Elijah's lap and then put Callie in his arms. He smiled down at her as well and I could tell how much love they had for their younger sibling already. I took a picture of him, knowing ShyAnne is going to be upset she missed this. "Smile Elijah." I told him and he smiled up at me as I took another picture of him. I got Eliza to sit next to her brother and took one last picture.

"Alright, sister needs to take a nap." I told them as I took Callie back. I took her into my room and laid her in her bassinet. I kissed her forehead, making sure the baby monitor was turned on. I grabbed the other end and left the room, sitting down on the couch. The twins had gone to play upstairs so it was just my parents and I. I took a moment to appreciate the quiet before Callie began to cry. And so resumes parenthood.

**************************************************************************

Sorry I haven't updated in a while! I'm in Texas and we had a terrible snow and ice storm the last couple of days that knocked out my power at 1 am on Monday morning! I had to go to someone else's house that had power tonight lol. We are supposed to get our fourth storm in a week tonight so yay, more ice! Not, lol. I'm sorry if updates are kind of sparse the next few days as Texas calms down.

Please leave a comment and let me know what you thought! Comments motivate me to update!