63. Instincts

Now I'm sitting at the corner of their sitting room which is empty without seats nor tables. They've all been moved to a spare room.

I'm sitting on a plastic stool looking at the decorations around the house. So Unballice like, now this reminds me of my mother. She used to throw us parties every year. We never missed even a single birthday celebration...

I didn't know I was zoned out when Ballice waves a hand on my face. "What?" I snap at him.

"What are you thinking about? Your mind has travelled so far." He says giving me my half eaten chocolate which I had left in his room three hours ago.

"My mum." I answer without giving much thought to it as I take the chocolate. I doesn't give the chocolate the warm welcome I always give them.

"Oh." That's all he manages to say before he clamps his mouth shut pulling another plastic stool infront of me and he takes my hands in his squeezing them gently.

"I know my mother has been dead for three years now and I should be letting her soul rest in peace. But that have never happened. I've never accepted the fact that my mother just left us, no, I never did and I will never do. I've been convincing myself all this time long. Because I wanted us all to move on, Lodzin, dad and I, but sometimes it's hard to convince myself when I didn't see my mother's body in a casket." I narrate my voice steady surprising myself. That's a touchy topic to me and I've never talked to anyone about it.

"Wh ... what do you mean you didn't see your mother in a casket." Ballice stutters surprise evident in his voice.

"My mother didn't die a normal death. She had gone for an interview in Chicago, she was a lecturer in the Juilliard school in NewYork. She's an actress by the way. Okay fuck. She was. She was an actress but she majored in instructing most of her time. Now in that interview, she was asked to be a leading role in some television series. So a day before she left, she took us to the beach, mind you it was a school day, I was a freshman and it was exactly on the 14th of October. At the beach we had played, laughed, took pictures and all the sweet things a mother can do with her two children, by then Lodzin was just four years old in Kindagarten. Next we went to the park, the park where we first saw each other, me and you." He nods looking at me keenly, listening.

"She bought us ice creams, we swinged, ran around the park, rode the merry-go-round with Ballice, sorry I mean Lodzin." I smile making him smile lightly urging me to continue.

"We went shopping thereafter, she bought us books first, numerous books , they actually lasted me a full year, all my sophomore. She bought us clothes, numerous too. They were fancy and expensive clothes infact. It got me worried. Mum was spending a lot that day. Those clothes are in my closet up to date, I've never worn them."

" I had seen new clothes, unfamiliar ones in your closet the day you had mad cramp pains. They seemed like they've never been worn." He says in a low voice and I nod.

" Yeah I never did wear them, they're as new as they were bought three years back. So after shopping, Mom took us to dinner at hot fry where we met Dad waiting for us. She had made a reservation earlier.
We enjoyed the dinner as a family chatting happily about this and that. The day had ended successfully, the following day we all escorted mum to the airport, we said our goodbyes and good lucks as we watched her plane flew away from us. And on the day of her return, we had talked on phone, an hour to landing dad drove us to the airport, the plane she was supposed to use, okay the plane she used, got a crash and all the people in it were burnt into ashes." Ballice lets out a loud gasp but that doesn't stop me from talking.

" Not even a bone was saved. So all the families who lost their loved ones were going to pick up the ash, the ash you don't know who it belongs to. My mother's sister, Hesnah has her ashes. We all refused to take it since both dad and I didn't want to believe in that death, besides they might be ashes of the luggages that were in that plane. Even Lodzin who was four waited for my mother to come home to him for a whole year. I managed to convince him in some sort of way which helped him move on. So I don't really think my mother is really dead. I have always had that gut feeling. And those decorations there." I point at them. " Are what made me remember her. She used to make our birthdays special with those kind of decorations." I smile looking at the coloured kite papers adorably. Cassandra had bought them. So teenager unlike theme though.

"I'm sorry princess, about what happened to your mother. I might as well tell you to trust your gut instincts but we all know that we're lying to ourselves. You should move on love." He says softly squeezing my hands. " Princess?"

" I know, I know. I will try but it's not that easy. It feels like a load in my heart weighing me down sometimes that I can't get to unload." How come my eyes are dry today? I've been a crybaby even saying the word mother alone was a big deal.

"Please try moving on, I know it's hard to because I myself hasn't moved on from---" He stops scratching at his head. " Uhmmm Cassandra was looking for you." He says dismissively.

" There's something you're not telling me but I hope you'll tell me someday. I'm not going to force you to it." I say standing up from the stool.

" My birthday gift?" He stops me on my tracks.

I smile deviously at him. " Myself." I wink blowing him a kiss in the air at the same time.

He groans messing his hair. "I can't wait."

"You really wouldn't want to, I have a surprise for you." I whisper softly. My voice dripping with honey like a fucking seductress. His eyes sparkle, a new glint of blue. They're laced with desire? Love? Lust? Passion? But I think it's a mixture of all those all at once. I turn around to move but a strong arm stops me.

"You little minx." His voice raspy and thick with desire sends shivers down my spine as he blows his warm breath on my neck. Goosebumps. That's what I feel every time he's closer to me. He moves my hair to one side and he places a kiss on my bare skin on the neck. I swoon. I turn around to push him off of me before this turns to something else but his energy overpowers mine. He closes his mouth on mine and I sigh surrendering as I lean into the kiss.

I pull away after a while and I whisper into his ears as I bite on his earlobe, "Patience King, patienceee." With that I turn around and I disappear to the backyard. But I doesn't miss an exaggerated huff from him along with the words, " God remind me again why I keep falling harder."

I chuckle shaking my head as I come face to face with Cassandra who is seating on a wooden inbuilt chair under a big pine tree. I take the seat next to her on the same chair as hers. We can see the gate from where we are sitting. We can see who is coming in and who's going out .

Even if this property is in the middle of the city. There's some particular cleansed air around it. From the few trees around and the insanely enormous pool which is not so far away from where we are seated.

The first word that comes to my mind when I look around the environment surrounding us is, Money.

Tbc...