Double trouble - Elrond

Warnings: -
Word count: 1202
Other: Baby elves™!
Requested:

Your twin toddlers are causing trouble in the kingdom, and the visit of the dwarves is definitely not helping.

The dwarves looked around in disdain, the elven city rising high around them. Thorin hissed at Gandalf, who disregarded it with a simple argument Thorin was not able to reciprocate, and they settled into silence again. Things didn't stay that way very long, as the dwarves started to shift, some uncomfortably and some with clear hostility as Lindir descended the stairs, a serene look on his face.
"Mithrandir ." He greeted, and the two exchanged pleasantries as Thorin glared at everything and everyone.

A bright giggle sounded from the top of the stairs drawing everyone's attention. The dwarves watched with curiosity as a giggling elfling ran down the stairs, glancing behind his shoulder as he went. The boy zoomed past Gandalf but did not count for the advisor of his father who was standing right behind the wizard. Lindir scooped up the boy with accustomed hands, drawing a whine of retaliation from the little elf.
"Lindir, let me go, naneth said I could come here." Lindir remained unaffected, just hosting the boy higher in his arms.
"Elladan!" A yell sounded from the higher floors, and your son seemed to shrink into himself slightly.

Soon, you rushed down the stairs, a silvery robe tied tightly over your white nightgown. You looked wildly around you, only settling down as you spotted your son safe in Lindir's arms.
"I thought they were not allowed down here," Lindir stated calmly as he handed Elladan to you.
"They are not." You stated, taking your son into your arms, and giving him a stern look when he tried to wiggle out of your arms as well. The boy settled down, pouting.
"Then why is he here...?" His words trailed off as you gave him a look.
"Because, in case you haven't noticed, there are two of them and only one of me!" You snapped, shifting your son in your arms as you stepped up the stairs.

But before you could make it up a step, a voice sounded at the top of them.
"Naneth? (mother)" You turned and saw your other son, Elrohir, standing there.
"Are you coming to finish the book?" He asked, his voice small as he fiddled with the sleeves of his shirt.
"I am coming now. Let's go." You promised as you set Elladan down, holding his hand tightly to prevent him from running off again. Getting the two to bed was never easy, but it was always thrice as hard when Elrond was not there.

You had made it to the middle of the staircase when a horn sounded and Elladan's head shot up. When he saw the horses approaching and the pennants at the tops of the spears the riders were carrying, he bolted from his place on your side.
"Ada!" He squealed and stormed down the stairs again. You picked up Elrohir and ran down the stairs as you saw the horse approaching. They would not know to look out for the small elf, and horror settled into your heart as Elladan ran straight to where the horses were supposed to trot through. You thrust the son in your hands to Gandalf, who, slightly dazed as to why there was suddenly a small elf in his arms, took him anyway.

You ran to your son, who had just realized his mistake as he let out a squeak as the horses approached, their hooves hammering on the ground. You scooped up your son and without even thinking, pushed yourself against the group of dwarves just as the horses thundered past. Elladan buried his head in your chest, a few tears running down his face as he was starting to realize what had almost happened. You smoothed your hand over his hair, soothing him, whispering quiet words into his ear. You knew you should have been angry, but you knew that the fright he had just received would keep him away from the kingdom's entrance for a long time. You didn't want to add to that.

The horses slowed to a stop, and you stepped further away from the dwarves, knowing they probably didn't appreciate you standing so close. You could hear your husband conversing with Gandalf but you didn't move yet, some of the horses still shifting, pawing the ground with their forelegs. You didn't want to risk going there and being trampled in the process. So you stood still for a moment, keeping an eye on the horses around you.

Your son, on the other hand, had started to recover from his scare and looked around. His eyes found the dwarves, and curious, he lifted his head slightly from your shoulder to see better. You observed from the corner of your eye as he ran his eyes over the group. He got a small wave from one of them, who you were sure was not a dwarf, judging by the appearance and the deadly glare he received after doing so. The gesture caused Elladan to squeak and bury his head into your shoulder again, pulling a small smile from your lips.

Elrond exchanged a few words with Lindir as he turned around to meet the visitors. But before he had the chance, a small elf ran to his legs, hugging them.
"Ada!" Elrohir had recovered from the shock of almost seeing his brother get pummeled over by horses, and was not reaching for his father, who happily took him from Gandalf's arms.
"Hello, my little warrior." He tickled his cheek with his finger, causing the boy to squirm.
"Where are naneth and Elladan?" He asked, looking around.
"Here." You answered, making your way through the lines of horses, receiving bows as you went.
He frowned when he saw the tear streaks on Elladan's face, but didn't ask as you gave a small shake of your head.

Elrond pressed a small kiss to your lips as a greeting, glancing down at the silvery piece of clothing you were wearing.
"What are you doing down here in nothing but your robe?" Elrond asked, placing Elrohir down, who grabbed his father's legs immediately. He slid off his coat and placed it on your shoulders with difficulty as you were still holding Elladan in your arms.
"I didn't exactly have the time to change when Elladan stormed out of the room." You muttered, the said toddler shrinking into your chest, a guilty look on his face.
"Lindir!" Your husband called, the younger elf appearing by his side in a matter of seconds.
"Would you sort things out with the visitors, I have things to attend to?" As he received a nod, he picked up Elrohir again. You and he started to make your way up to their bedroom to finally put the two to bed so the two of you could get the moment of rest you so desperately needed (and deserved).

Another one from Tuesday this week. I got a lot of writing done then, and that made it possible for me to have a free day today as I didn't sleep were well last night.