Promise - Bard

Warnings: kind of a fade-to-smut - ending, but nothing graphic.
Word count: 1997
Other: -
Requested: No

Your nerves get the better of you when Bard asks to meet you.

You had panicked when Bard had sent you a letter, asking you to meet him at the top of the stonewall that surrounded the city. You hadn't seen him in a week, and your heart was plagued with the thought that he might break your relationship. A part of you understood him, he was the lord of Dale now and you were just a lowly seamstress. He needed a wife from a better family, someone who was better suited to rule a city. But it didn't mean your heart wasn't aching. You loved Bard with all your heart, and the thought of him with someone else was painful.

The real reason Bard had been avoiding you for the remaining week was that he was afraid that he might ruin the suprise for you. He had a hard time not telling about his plans about proposing to the people around him, and there had been a few occasions when he had had to come up with a quick explanation after the news had almost slipped out of his mouth but he had caught himself before any damage had happened. He had avoided you on purpose as he was sure he would blurt out his intentions before the ring was ready.

Bard was gripping the stems of the flowers tightly as the cool evening wind blew across Laketown. He shifted his weight from one leg to another, waiting for you to arrive. The best jacket that he owned rested against his back, and he kept tapping the breast pocket to make sure the ring was safe. When he had been named as the lord of Dale, one of his first actions had been asking a blacksmith to make him a ring, an engagement ring for you. He had sworn the man to secrecy, who had agreed, deeply touched that he had been chosen to make the ring for the future lady of Dale. It had been two months now, and he had fetched it from the blacksmiths yesterday. It had been more beautiful than he had ever dreamed, and he was sure that you would love it.

When he heard your approaching steps his heart started pounding faster as you rounded the corner. Your hair was done up in a bun, and you were wearing your favorite brown dress with a clean apron. The dress wasn't flashy or expensive by any means, it was made up of scraps of fabric that you had skillfully sewn together. But you looked beautiful in it, and he was quick to let you know as you stopped in front of him, tucking the stray hairs that had escaped your bun behind your ear. He grabbed you into a tight hug, and your arms wrapped around him, your fingers sliding along with the fabric of his new coat. It was soft and clearly expensive judging by the deep blue color. Bard's short beard was trimmed and his eyes were glowing warmly, but the dread was still gripping your heart. Gathering your courage, you pressed a kiss to his cheek, inhaling his scent, praying that this was not the last time you could be able to smell it.

Bard's eyes slid on your arm, and he grasped your hand tightly in his, lifting it to his lips and placing a kiss on your knuckles. You gave a slight smile to him, your nerves still hammering against your rib cage.
"I missed you so much, darling." The fear gripping your heart eased, his words making hope lift its head in your chest.
"I missed you too. Have you had a busy week?" His hand was still grasping yours, and you ran your fingers on his palm, feeling the callouses on his hand. They were softer now as he didn't have to work so much manual labor now.
"Not too horrible." He muttered, and the hope that had started to rise in your chest was squished. You had hung onto the hope that he had simply been too busy to see you, but hearing him say that he hadn't been busy and still hadn't seen you broke your heart.
"Oh." It was all you could answer as you fought the tears that threatened to fall with all your might.

Bard dug the ring out of his pocket and squeezed the small metal band tightly into his fist. It was now or never.
"Y/N." You lifted your eyes to him, eyes shining bright in the dim light of the setting sun.
"I need to ask you something." The words almost made you crumble, but you held yourself together, closing your eyes for a moment as you felt Bard shifting in front of you.
"Yes...?" Your words trailed off as you opened your eyes and saw him on one knee in front of you.
"Y/N, I didn't believe I could find love after Theresa passed away, but then you came into y life and turned it upside down. Your smile was all I could think about and your laughter was ringing in my ears every time there was silence. I could watch you for a single minute and find a thousand things that I love about you." He took a deep breath and lifted his left hand to you, a glittering ring held tightly by his fingers. Your brain was confused, this was not what was supposed to happen...
"Y/N, my darling, my love, my dove. Will you marry me?" You stared at him for a moment, completely silent, not moving a muscle as your brain was trying to catch up. It took your brain a moment to catch up with reality. He was not breaking your relationship, he was proposing.

Every second you stayed still and silent was torture for Bard. When the tears fell down your cheeks, you nodded lightly, your words coming out as a hoarse whisper.
"Yes." You ran your tongue over your lips, trying to ease the dryness in your mouth.
"Yes, I will marry you, Bard." Bard let out a relieved laugh and gently grasped your left hand, sliding the ring into your finger. A new set of tears dropped as Bard pulled you to his chest, connecting your lips into a deep, passionate kiss, your eyes sliding shut. The mess of emotions inside you calmed slightly as you relaxed against his chest, the softness of his lips lulling you into a feeling of safety. You would never have to leave him.

As you pulled apart you kept your eyes closed for a moment as a pair of tears ran down your cheeks. You didn't know what kind of tears they were anymore; relief, happiness, love?
"Everything alright?" Bard asked, wiping the tears off your cheeks with a thumb, examining your face as you opened your eyes to meet his brown eyes.
"I thought you would break up with me." You muttered quietly, and Bard swallowed.
"Why would you think that?" He asked in a whisper, winding his arms around you, and bringing you closer to his chest.
"I didn't see you for the entire week, and I started wondering that maybe you didn't want me anymore. Maybe you wanted someone from a wealthier family, someone who could rule by your side, someone better..." Your words trailed off and you turned your eyes away from him, but Bard grasped your jaw with his fingers gently and lifted your chin up, your eyes meeting his again.
"You, my darling, are perfect. I couldn't care less about your profession, I was a bargeman not a month ago. You are the only one for me. Never doubt that." He kissed your temple, squeezing you tighter into his arms. You rested your hands on his chest, fingers trailing small patterns on his chest. You allowed your head to come rest on his chest next to your hand, and his chin pressed on top of yours.

You didn't get to enjoy the calm starry night for long. Footsteps came pounding forward, and Bard lifted his head up, letting go of you to the sword that was resting on his hip. You had never seen him with a sword ever in your life, but judging by the way his fingers wrapped around the handle, he had some sort of idea of how to use it.
"My lord!" A young guard came running in, sliding to a stop as he saw Bard's arm resting on your hip, and your hands tightly gripping his coat, as your form was tucked tightly into his side.
"I am terribly sorry to interrupt, but there is a matter that requires your attention." Bard let out a sigh and nodded.
"I will be with you shortly." The guard nodded, his eyes trailing to your left hand that was gripping Bard's jacket. The glimmer of the ring caught his eye, and a flash of understanding glinted in his eyes.
"I can escort you to the Lord's house if that is your wish, my lady. If-if that's alright with you, s-sir." You felt bad for the guard, he was clearly so afraid of doing something wrong. Bard just gave a nod, clearly still uncomfortable with giving orders.
"I will see to the matter and then come and find you." Bard addressed his words for you, grabbing your hands and pulling a bracelet out of his pocket, and fastened the glimmering string of loops around your finger.
"They will let you in when you are eating wearing this." He gave a small smile at your confused look and pressed a small kiss to your lips.
"I will explain everything when I see you again." With those words, he strode out of your sight, and the guard stepped forward.

- -

The past few hours had gone by in a flurry. When the guard escorted you inside, you were immediately surrounded by at least ten maids, who started fussing over you. You had been ushered into a bath, and once you were scrubbed clean with numerous sweet-smelling oils and soaps, they did your hair and chose a dress after asking for your preferences. The dress was light lilac with a underdress of satin that slid smoothly against your skin as you walked. You could only guess how expensive it was, but you had a hunch that your house was cheaper. The maids had left, leaving you alone in the room, the dark wooden walls and furniture illuminated by the bright lanterns that hung from the walls.

You stood up, walking to the tall bookshelf but stopped midway as you passed a mirror. You could hardly recognize yourself, your skin was spotless, rid of any dirt, your hair was done up in an intricate braid, and the dress followed your movements.
"You look beautiful." Nearly jumping out of your skin and yanking yourself around, eyes landed on Bard who was standing in the doorway.
"I didn't mean to frighten you, my love." He strode next to you and captured you into his arms, bringing you to his chest. You gave a hum but didn't answer as a yawn took over you. A soft smile spread onto his lips, and he pulled away, tracing a finger on your jaw.
"We should go to bed, tomorrow is going to be a busy day." You quirked an eyebrow at Bard, who let out a laugh.
"You just got engaged to the lord of Dale, darling, there are going to be feasts and all kinds of celebrations tomorrow." You stared at him with wide eyes, and he gave you a small smile, placing a gentle kiss on your lips.