Travels - Aragorn

Warnings: none?
Word count: 1423
Other: Slight alterations to the lines I filled in with the help of the movie (so they are not mine)
Requested:  by nicholas3457890

You are a headstrong young girl, but it was probably for the best. Traveling in the wild with your father takes strength and courage. Being Dúnedain like Aragorn, you appear younger than you really are and that sometimes confuses the people you meet.

Aragorn didn't want you to come with him on this journey. He would have much rather left you in Rivendell to stay with Lord Elrond, but you clearly had other plans. You had caught up with him not hours after he had left the hidden valley, stating clearly that you would not stay behind this time. No matter how hard he tried to explain that this journey wouldn't be like the others, you refused to listen and insisted that you go with him. In the end, he had to admit defeat as you threatened to just run away from Rivendell again if he took you back there. You were therefore allowed to travel with him, but that didn't mean Aragorn was happy about it. This journey would be much more dangerous than the others if Gandalf's words were anything to go by.

You were sitting next to him on the table, hidden in the shadows like he was. You are sitting close to a beam made out of bricks, so you are hidden behind it from most of the other people that come into the room. Your chin barely reached the end of the table as you sipped the warm soup out of your bowl.
"What are we waiting for?" You asked, lifting the now empty bowl and setting it on the table, licking your lips. He didn't answer, just moved it to the center of the table, giving a nod to the servant who was quick to clear it away. You shrugged and grabbed the last piece of the bread that was laying on the table and started to nibble on it, knowing that you wouldn't get fresh bread like this any time soon. You would probably see what you were there to do anyway, so you could wait for a moment and focus on your bread for now.

A small party of four enters the inn, and walks straight to the bar, exchanging words with the innkeeper. After a bit of wondering, they settle onto a table on the opposite side of the bar, and your father digs out his pipe as he settles into a position he can keep an eye on them.
"Who are they?" You ask, wiping the crumbs of bread off your clothes.
"Trouble." He simply answers, and you nod, swinging your legs under the table. As the innkeeper passes past their table, you see the crowd throwing suspicious glances toward the corner where the two of you reside and the innkeeper leans in to say something to them. It's impossible to hear what they are saying, but it's clearly something important as the hobbit is silent for a good while after that.

You follow with interest as commotion rises in the table of the newcomers that you now see to be hobbits. One of them has strayed further from his traveling companions, now sitting next to the bar. He starts speaking with a bright voice that gathers everyone's attention. Whatever he said, was not welcomed as one of the hobbits shoots up, trying to make his way through the crowd, but there are too many people in his way. He trips and falls to the ground, something falling out of his hand and flying through the air. He extends a hand to catch it, and as it reaches his hand. He disappears. Aragorn tenses next to you and you release an audible gasp that is drowned under the booming voices of the men that clearly just witnessed the same thing you did.

Aragorn jumps to his feet unexpectedly and you scamper up after him, sliding out of the booth and making sure to stay right at his heels. You don't want to lose him in a crowd like this. He grabs the hobbit from the neck of his jacket, the hobbit who had disappeared, you note. You hurry after him as he dragged the hobbit up the stairs and into the room the two of you had been staying in.
"How did you do that?" You chirp the moment the door closed behind you, and you receive a look from your father that tells you this is no time for questions. You settle into a corner, watching the exchange unfold before your eyes.
"You draw far too much attention to yourself, Mr. "Underhill." Aragorn drawls, showing the hobbit deeper into the room.

He trips but is quick to gather himself up, turning to face Aragorn. You have to admire his bravery as he stands in front of the man he barely reaches the chest of.
"What do you want?" His tone is frightened, and he squeezes the collar of his jacket, clearly trying to hide something.
"More caution from you. That is no mere trinket you carry."
"I carry nothing." His tone is unsure and you know he is lying. You don't know what it is, but his tone makes it clear that it's clearly something important.
"Indeed. I can avoid being seen if I wish, but to disappear entirely; that is a rare gift." There is a  silence that hangs int he the air, as none of you say anything. Suddenly, your father spins round and draws his sword as the three other hobbits enter the room.
"Let him go! Or I'll have you, longshanks!" You giggle at that. You aren't as tall as they are, but you know even you could beat them in a swordfight, especially as they are armed with candlesticks and frying pans. This catches their attention and they lower their weapons slightly at the sight of you but lift them up again when your father approaches them.
"You have a stout heart, little Hobbit, but that will not save you. You can no longer wait for the wizard, Frodo. They are coming."

You are already curled up on one of the beds in deep sleep as the screeching reaches the ears of the five that are still awake. It's coming from the rooms they were meant to be sleeping in, and the shadows cast over the walls tell that they are breaking everything in it.
"What are they?" Frodo asks.
"They were once Men. Great Kings of Men. Then Sauron the Deceiver gave to them the nine Rings of Power. Blinded by their greed, they took them without question, one by one falling to darkness. Now, they are slaves to his will. They are the Nazgûl, Ringwraiths, neither living nor dead. At all times they feel the presence of the Ring, drawn to the power of the One. They will never stop hunting you." Aragorn's voice is grim as he speaks.
You shift in your sleep and he smoothes his hand over your head, hoping that you stay asleep. He doesn't wish to scare you with those fell things creeping in the night.
"She must be brave for her age to be traveling with you." Aragorn's face splits into a first real smile at Sam's words. His hand is still gently running over your hair.
"She is. And incredibly stubborn. I didn't want to take her with me this time, but she ran away from the people that were supposed to be watching her and followed me and threatened to do it again if I took her back. So I had to take her with me." You shift in your sleep and huddle into a tighter ball, and the four hobbits smile. They haven't met many children outside of their own kin, but you are adorable, even if you reach their chins already.

Another request done, not so many left! Aragorn has always been a hard character for me to write, I don't know why.

My wonderful roommate hast started proofreading for me, so there will be less errors in most of my oneshots in the future!

Also, I went to the optician yesterday and it turns out, I need reading glasses. I've never had glasses before in my life, so I'm a little shocked but I'm sure I'll settle into the idea soon. Me and my roommate will go pick them out someday probably next week.