Beauty (Baking 2) - Dwalin

Warnings: none
Word count: 1280
Other: -
Requested: not directly, but so many asked for a part 2 and your wish is my command

Dwalin has no idea how to approach you. You are having trouble adjusting to life in the wild.

You were still shaking after the troll incident, a blanket wrapped tightly around you as you stared into the fire, your eyes hazy. You were still terrified, every crack in the woods, a clink of a spoon, or a heavier breath from any of the dwarves made you twitch, your heart ready to jump out of your chest. Bilbo was doing his best to comfort you, his side pressed to yours. His heart wrung every time you jumped, your hold on his arm tightening. The sheer terror in your eyes was clear, as though you expected the trolls to come barging into the camp.

Dwalin kept his eyes on your frightened form and every time you jumped and grasped into Bilbo's arm, he sent glares in Fili's and Kili's direction. They were the ones that had sent you to find out what took the ponies. It had turned out to be trolls, and it the two youngsters hadn't come to tell the company about the situation, you would have ended up as lunch. Dori coughed and Dwalin saw how you nearly jumped out of your skin at the sound, your hold on Bilbo's arm tightening, bringing a grimace of pain into your brother's face. But he never asked you to let go, he just kissed your temple and whispered encouraging words into your ear.

Words weren't enough to describe how much Dwalin wanted to be the one to console you, to hold you, to kiss your cheek, and chase the fears away, but he knew that it would never happen. He was a battle-hardened, tattooed warrior and you were a small hobbit girl who loved flowers, pretty dresses, and poetry. You were happy and talkative and enjoyed everyone's company, your bright singing voice often fluttering along with Bofur's.

- -

It was Dwalin's turn to sit watch for the first shift of the night, and he watches you drag your bedroll as close to the fire as possible without setting it on fire. You were shivering but still gave Bilbo a smile as you lay down, staring at the fire. The reds and oranges danced on your skin, making your it glow in the low light. Dwalin watched as your eyes slowly drifted closed, and your breathing evened out as you relaxed into a peaceful dream. Or that was what he thought.

Dwalin's eyes snapped to you as he saw you shoot up from laying position, your eyes darting furiously around camp. Your breath was coming out in harsh pants, your fingers curled around your thick blanket, your knuckles turning white as your grip kept tightening. Dwalin tried to seem like he hadn't noticed that you were awake, not wanting to unnerve you or frighten you even more.

He thought about waking Bilbo, but when you buried your face in your hands and a barely audible sob escaped you, Dwalin could not stop himself from getting up and walking to your side.
"Everyhtin' alright, lass?" Your head shot up, and his eyes met yours. Tears made your normally bright eyes hazy. Unexpectedly, you jumped at his neck, and he froze as you were now sobbing against him. Your entire body was shaking, your hands clutching him desperately.
"Now now lass, yer alright." He wrapped his other arm around you slowly, using it to stroke your back gently. You continued to sob into his chest, your entire body shaking every time you hiccuped.

It took a good while for you to calm down, and when you did, he didn't hesitate to offer you his handkerchief to dry your eyes and nose. You shifted your thanks as you took the piece of fabric from him, wiping your reddened eyes.
"I am so sorry, this is so silly of me to bother you like this." You muttered as you handed him the fabric back. He waved his hand dismissively, shaking his head.
"Not a bother, lass." You tilted your head slightly, some streaks still left on your cheeks from the tears.
"Why do you call me that?" Dwalin gave you a frown.
"What? Lass?" You nodded, and he shrugged.
"I don't know. What should I call ya then? Beaty?" You blushed up to your earlobes, not sure what to answer.
"M-My name would do fine." You muttered, cursing your red cheeks. "God goodness sake, Y/N, you are a grown woman, not a little girl, keep yourself together." You scolded yourself.
"Y/N?" The name sounded so foreign coming from him.
"It's so formal. Borin'. Not that yer name is borin', I just think that there is a better word to call ya. Not that your name isn't perfect for ya..." He trailed off as you giggled, laying your hand on his shoulder.
"It's alright, you can call me whatever is most convenient for you." You smiled, the horrors of your dream long forgotten.
"So... Lass? Or beauty?" You blushed beet red again, letting out a squeak.
"That's a little ... forward, don't you think?" You asked, hands dropping to the hem of your dress.

"It's now or never." Dwalin thought to himself, steeling himself.
"I don't reckon so if ya consider my feelings for ya." He muttered every ounce of him prepared for you to refuse him instantly, to jump out of his arms or even laugh. What he didn't expect was a small kiss on his cheek.
"Took you long enough." He turned to you, eyes wide, and you gave a small giggle.
"I am not blind Dwalin. Even though you tried to hide your feelings for me they are pretty obvious. The company has had a bet for months on how long it will take you to gather up the courage." You could see the red color seeping into his face, and he rubbed it with his hands.
"Everyone? Even yer brother?" To his somewhat horror, you nodded.
"Bilbo was your me of the first to realize, among your brother and Thorin, of course." Dwalin cursed under his breath in Khuzdul. Of course, they had known to let him suffer for the journey. And you had known as well?
"Ya knew too? Why didn't ya say anythin'?" You swiped a tuft it hair behind your ear.
"It wasn't my matter to disclose. I knew you would act when you were ready."

There was a silence between the two of you until he cleared his throat.
"Would it be alright for me to kiss ya?" At your nod, his hands slid to your waist, and he lifted you up like you weighed nothing, placing you into his lap.
"Durin, lass, you weigh less than my axes." He muttered before he collided his lips with yours into an overly gentle kiss like he was afraid that he would break you.

The kiss was cut off unfortunately soon as a yell
"AHA!" Sounded through the camp, Kili awake and pointing his finger at the two of you.
"I knew it! We all knew it!" He didn't get to bask in the victory for long, and Dwalin lifted you from his lap gently, picked up one of his axes, and stormed after the prince, who had to sprint away to avoid being pummeled to death. Laughs ran through the camp, and you returned to your bedroll next to Bilbo with a bright smile on your lips.

What would you say about part 3? Yay or nay? Something about when Erebor is reached maybe?

And don't forget to vote if you like what you read!