Caged - Legolas

Warnings: -
Word count: 898 (shorter one for a change)
Other: Just something I put together during the evening.

Legolas couldn't leave you in that cell any longer.

Thorin watched as the elven prince made his way down into the dungeons, feet making no noise on the stone floor. He was on edge, ready to shout the moment he tried to do anything for his kinsmen, but the elf walked past them and into the one empty cell.

But the truth was it only appeared empty as you appeared at the door, pushing your hands through the gaps in the bars. Legolas' encased them, and he forced a smile on his face. You were so skinny that it pained his heart, but your eyes still kept the determined shine in them, even if they were sunken in.
"Y/N. I cannot watch you rotting here any longer." You smiled at him sadly but didn't say anything. He wanted to get you out of there. The guards had noticed that he wasn't feeling his best, the mental pain of you being flocked up and the fact that you were forced separate was eating away his strength. The only key to that cell was his father's, and it would be near impossible to get it from him without dying.

"I don't love you anymore." Your voice was weak and quiet, and Legolas turned I you.
"What?" He asked, not believing his ears.
"I don love you anymore." Your voice got more power behind it this time, and Legolas stared at you for a moment, before his face split into a smile.
"Yes you do, Y/N. You are trying to chase me away so I won't die of a broken heart when you go."
"Curse it, he is too smart." You thought and sighed, threading your fingers into his.
"I do love you. I always will. I won't allow you to die because I am gone. I will not fight my own death, but I will not accept yours." Tears slipped down your cheeks, dropping onto the dusty ground.
"If you leave this world, there is nothing for me here anymore. If you die, I refuse to live anymore." Legolas whispered to you, his forehead pressed against the bars of your cell.
"I will get you out." He promised.
"Legolas..." You whispered softly, knowing that he had to steal the key from the king. Steal from his own father.
"I will not let you die. This has gone off far enough."
"The key is too well guarded, you will never get your hands on it." You tried to reason with him, and to your surprise, he nodded.
"I know. I am going to ask him for it."

"Ada." Legolas greeted the king, words stiff and back straight.
"Legolas. What brings you here?"
"Y/N. I want her out of that cell." Thranduil stiffened. The elleth was a tough spot for him. He opened his mouth to answer his son, but Legolas didn't allow it.
"I love her." The words rang in the spacious office, Thranduil was frozen in place. His son loved the traitor?
"You canno-"
"You will not decide who I can and cannot love! And I love her!" Legolas rarely raised his voice, and never with his father.
"She is a traitor," Thranduil explained, and Legolas seethed with anger.
"She allowed a group of travelers to keep cover from the rain in the stables for one night. They didn't take our food, they didn't take anything. They were gone by morning." Legolas was panting with fury.
"She let them into our kingdom without my consent. That is against the law, and she stays in the dungeons for the rest of her life." Thranduil's tone was final, but Legolas wasn't giving up. Not now.
"Then you might as well lock me there too. Because when she passes I will not want to walk this earth no longer." Legolas stared at his father, blue eyes meeting one another.

Neither of them said anything for the longest time until Thranduil sighed. He handed Legolas the key.
"I will allow her to leave her cell. But. She will not stay here." Legolas nodded, quite numb but happy.
"Then neither will I. We will ride for Rivendell." He turned to exit the room, but a hand on his shoulder stopped him. He turned around and was left face-to-face with his father. His cold blue eyes were unreadable.
"You love her enough to leave the kingdom?"
"There isn't a place in this world I wouldn't follow her into." Thranduil sighed.
"Very well. I will allow her to stay, but she will be my private attendant until I trust her again." Legolas nodded and hurried into the dungeons, having expected much of a harder discussion. He had even prepared to fight for the key, but his father had just given it to him.

In his office, Thranduil sighed and sat down, starting to read his papers through again. He glanced at the painting of his wife on the wall.
"What I wouldn't give to have you here with me. I know you always wanted Legolas to find love."

I don't know how I feel about this, but I wanted to clear my brain about the crazy things that have happened in the past few days. I'll tell you more about them later.

Edited 9.12.2022