Preparations - Fili

Warnings: 1256
Word count:
Other: This is a part of a oneshot I ended up deleting, as it wasn't going anywhere. But I decided to save this bit, because it was alright in my opinion.
Requested: no

The preparations for your and Fili's wedding are in full swing.

There was so much to do before the wedding, so you and Fili had decided to split up so you could get more things finished in one afternoon. Fili had gone to choose the few ales that would be served, and you were on your way to make sure the flower arrangements were coming along. You had been shocked that dwarves didn't usually use flowers in their wedding decoration, but Fili had agreed with you that there had to be some. Unfortunately, Thorin was a harder one to convince, but you and Fili had managed to get the flowers into the decoration. A compromise had been made, and the tables were going to be decorated with arrangements of flowers and jewels.

After you had finished, you set to search for Fili. You found him in the kitchens with the help of a few guards. There were dozens of barrels of ale around him, and he was sipping from a cup as the kitchen personnel hustled around him.
"This one is a brown ale with a hint of winter apples." Fili didn't notice you as his back was to you, and the kitchen staff we preoccupied with the barrels, so you stayed in the doorway, not wanting to interrupt.
"It's good, but it tastes a little stuffy." His cup was exchanged into another and he turned slightly, his eyes catching the glimmer of the gems of your dress.
"Y/n, 'Ibinê (my gem), how long have you been standing there?" At Fili's voice, the kitchen staff quickly ushered you out of the doorway and into the light and placated you into a chair next to Fili. To your horror, you were handed your own cup.
"Fili, I don't know anything about ale." Your voice was a low mutter, and Fili just waved his hand in the air.
"Nonsense. Just say what you think of it, and you'll do wonderfully. If it's good or bad. Is it sour, bitter, or sweet?" You hesitated but nodded, sniffing the liquid lightly. It smelled strongly of apples, and well, ale.
"This is a dark ale with green apples." The kitchen worker introduced, leaning into the barrel proudly. After you took a sip out of your cup, your nose crinkled immediately at the sour taste. You tried to set your face into a neutral expression, as you didn't want to insult anyone.
"What do you think?" Fili asked, setting his, now empty, cup on the table.
"It's ... good?" Even you wouldn't have believed yourself, and Fili quirked a brow at you.
"You can say you don't like it if you don't."
"It's not terrible, it's just sour." You explained, and Fili nodded while smiling.
"Then we try something else. Maybe something sweeter?" The question was directed at the kitchen workers, and the cup was plucked from your hold and replaced with another. This one had a lighter smell, it reminded you of flowers. As you took a small sip, the taste spread on your tongue.
"Golden ale, with pears and jasmine flowers." It was a lighter taste, but it tasted almost watery.
"It's better, not sour at all." Fili nodded again, and now two other cups appeared in front of you.

The next few ales were all dark ales and the smell was so strong that you didn't want to taste them at all. Fili grabbed your hand, placing a kiss on top of it, making your flush. You still weren't fully used to the carefree attitude dwarves had when it came to showing affection in public, but you were getting there. You were presented with a new cup as Fili set your hand back on the table, and you grasped it. It smelled sweet, almost warm, and you took a sip. There was also a faint smell of something that reminded you of wood. Nuts, maybe?
"Brown ale with a hint of roasted chestnuts and honey." When the taste spread into your mouth, you smiled lightly. The honey brought out a delicious wave of sweetness but you could still taste the ale under it.
"You like this one, my lady?" One of the workers asked shyly, and you nodded while smiling.
"I like the sweetness. And the faint taste of ... chestnuts, was it?" You received a nod in confirmation. You sipped your cup empty, causing Fili's smile to widen. He kissed your cheek.
"I told you you would be wonderful at this." You gave a small giggle, your heart fluttering.

- - -

Next, the two of you headed to a meeting, held by Thorin, as there were a few things he wanted to talk over amongst you. Fili kissed your cheek as Thorin started talking, causing you to blush. It was a reflex you had tried to learn out of, but it wasn't easy. Fili placed his hand on top of yours, giving it a soft squeeze to calm you down. He had learned quickly what made you nervous and what calmed you down, and you felt completely at home with him in Erebor. If someone became too curious of you, Fili was quick to chase them away as he knew you were still not fully comfortable with your newfound royal status.

You tried to listen to the conversation going on around the table about all the dwarven traditions concerning the upcoming marriage, but the issue was so complex that you got lost from time to time. Fili gave your hand a squeeze, causing you to lift your eyes to him, and a warm, entranced smile spread on his lips.
"Anything to add, Fili?" Thorin asked, but got no answer, as Fili's eyes were still on you, a mesmerized look on his face. Amused chuckles emerged from the dwarves around the table, and you had to tap Fili's leg with yours to bring him out of his haze. He turned his head to his uncle, clearly having no idea what the king had just said.
"Huh?" The chuckles got louder, and Kili burst out laughing. Even Thorin gave an amused huff.
"Do you have anything to add? Or are you too in love to answer?" The last comment earned him a slap to his arm by an annoyed Dís, who glared at the king.
"They are getting in married in two days, Thorin. Fili is allowed to be in love." Her tone was gentle when she eyed her son and future daughter-in-law, but when her eyes turned to her brother, they had a sharp edge to them.

You smiled at Fili, shuffling your head under his with a smile, feeling him press a kiss to your temple. It was only a matter of days before the two of you would be married. Neither of you could hardly wait, as you counted the hours to the ceremony. The days before the wedding felt like they lasted an eternity, yet they seemed fleeting. There was so much to do. But both of you took all the word without complaining, knowing it would be worth it in the end.

Happy December everyone!
So sorry for not posting yesterday, I had an awful headache. I've still been recovering today but hopefully I will write tomorrow.
My break is approaching but still a few requests to publish before that.