Realizations - Eomér (request)

Warnings: rejection, angst with a happy ending
Word count: 1937
Other: E/C is eye color

This was requested by IntenseGaze

Eomér has tried all his life for you to see him in a different light, not as a friend, but as something more. You, on the other hand, are oblivious and fall for someone visiting Edoras.

You had been Eomer's and Eowyn's best friend as long as he could remember, and as you grew, his feelings had matured. Nowadays, he spent quite a lot of time trying to impress you, trying to get your attention, trying to make you see his feelings. But so far, you were (frustratingly) oblivious and treated him the same way as you always did. He didn't blame you, you had been friends for so long that you probably thought of him more like a brother than someone you could fall in love with.

Eowyn, Eomer and you were standing outside, talking about the feast that was being held this evening. You and Eowyn were talking about the dresses you would wear, and Eomer was watching you. He couldn't help it, his eyes always seemed to be drawn toward you, and now the evening sun was making your hair shine and your eyes appear even more vibrant than they actually were.
"Eomer?" Your voice pulled him out of his trance, and he blinked multiple times to organize his thoughts and he saw you and Eowyn looking at him expectantly.
"What?" He asked, having no clue what you had asked him.
"We just said it's getting late and we need to go and get ready for the feast. We didn't want to leave you alone here, but soon, we would have. Y/N called your name four times." Eowyn pointed out and you reached up lightly and kissed his cheek as a goodbye.
"I'll see you at the feast." Eomer just nodded and you and Eowyn made your way inside while he stayed where he was, looking around him but not paying attention to anything, he was too incased in his thoughts. The kiss was a gesture you had been doing for years, but it still made his heart pound and his brain to stop working.

- -

Eomer sat slightly away from all the commotion, watching sadly as you conversed with Aragorn with a big smile on your face. It wasn't hard to see that you had fallen head over heels for the dark-haired man that had arrived a few days ago. Every time you smiled at him or laughed at something he had said, Eomer felt a prick at his heart. It was the evening and you had been conversing with Aragorn for most of the night. Eowyn kept appearing and disappearing into your company, as her duties kept making her leave. You could see her annoyment every time someone called her name, you could see from your best friend since childhood that she had clearly fallen for Aragorn.

Which was... unfortunate, because you had fallen for the dark-haired man as well. It wasn't a burning feeling like you would explode if you didn't reveal your feelings for him, but you certainly liked him. He was handsome and polite, but also mysterious, as you noticed he didn't reveal much about himself, he just mostly asked questions about you and your life, and Eowyn's when she was there. You answered them happily and asked him small questions to get some information out of him as well. You were starting to feel more at ease in his presence, normally you were very nervous when talking with a man. Or anyone you didn't know well enough for that matter.

- -

EOMÉR'S POV

Eomer watched as you and Aragorn continued conversing. His nervousness grew as the conversation progressed. First, it was just about you paying attention to another man and him fighting with his feelings, and the fear of you choosing him was overwhelming. Then, it was the fact that you seemed uncomfortable as the conversation moved on. First, it seemed to be lighthearted but as time passed he began to notice that the smile was leaving your face. His brows drew into a frown as your smile faltered, and you took a step back, looking quite distressed. Aragorn was saying something to you, Eomer couldn't hear what over the loud crowd, but obviously the words hurt you. Eomer had been friends with you for so long that he knew what you looked like when you were hurting inside and wanted to hide it.