Messenger - Lindir

Warnings: none
Word count: 1641
Other:
Requested: by Cookie21337 , the idea for the oneshot by theambernightingale

You and Lindir have been dancing around each other for so long that Lord Elrond takes matters into his own hands, tired of watching the two of you pine over each other.

Your heart was pounding in your chest as you slid down from your horse, holding onto your satchel as your feet met the ground and the stableboy came to take your horse. You handed him the reigns and as you placed the final pats onto the horse's neck, you flung a coin to him.
"Take good care of him, he carried me well and swiftly." You turned away with a sigh, looking up at the kingdom of Rivendell in the golden glow of the setting Sun. It had become a familiar place to you, as you spent there nearly as much time as you spent in your home kingdom in Mirkwood. The nerves returned as you started climbing the stairs, hoping that you would not run into him, at least not yet. You had all kinds of letters to deliver and you wanted to do so without stumbling over your words too terribly.

Unfortunately, that was not what Eru had planned for you today, and Lindir appeared on your path shortly after you had climbed up the first flight of stairs. His eyes lit up when his eyes landed on you, and he hurried towards you, pulling you into a tight hug.
"Y/N, you're early! We were expecting you but not so soon." His words were filled with joy, and you hoped and prayed that he could not hear how hard your heart was pounding as he held onto you. When he pulled away, you turned your attention to your toes, tucking your hair behind your ear to hopefully hide your reddened cheeks.

You had harbored feelings for the adviser of Lord Elrond for years now, but you had never gathered the courage to do anything about it, as you were always being sent straight back to Mirkwood with another set of letters.
"I-I had a swift horse, he brought me here much faster than I anticipated. I am sorry to arrive so early, but I thought it would be best that I deliver the letters now rather than in the few days you were expecting. Otherwise, I would have stayed in a village on the way." Lindir shook his head with force, a smile on his lips.
"Nonsense, you are always welcome here. It is good that you deliver the letters on time. I will take you to Lord Elrond now, he doesn't have anything on his schedule this time of the day."

Lindir was ecstatic that he arrived early this time, usually, you jumped down from your horse, delivered the letter, half-running the stairs up and down, and then jumped on the horse that had been brought to you for your trip home. He had been entranced by you for a while now, a fact that the whole kingdom was aware of. He just hoped that his nerves would not much the opportunity up for him. You were biting your tongue, trying to rein in the urge to take another peek at him at the risk of him realizing what you were doing. The two of you walked towards Elrond's study in silence, neither of you aware of the storm that was going on inside the other.

Elrond was sitting by his desk as Lindir opened the door for you with a warm smile, and you enter, returning it, causing butterflies to shoot up into his stomach.
"Ah, Y/N, you're early." The elf lord smiled as you dug the letters out of your satchel. Five neat envelopes, all carrying his name as the recipient and the seal of Mirkwood.
"Yes, I am sorry to bother you so but Lady Galadriel is expecting me only on the first days of autumn so I must ask that I could rest here for a moment before I journey there." Elrond waved you off, the first letter already open and his eyes sliding across it.
"Stay as long as you like. Lindir, would you find her find a room?" The elf in question nodded eagerly as he guided you out the door. Lord Elrond shook his head as the two of you excited the room, a light blush on each of your faces as your hands brushed against one another. He had watched you dance around each other for long enough, it was time for a little push. He picked up two pieces of parchment, smiling to himself as the quill traveled across the yellow surface.

- - -

You sit in the cooling night, watching the countless stars in the bright night sky, your hands clasped against each other gently, your hair moving in the gentle breeze.
"Y/N?" A voice causes you to turn your head, and it isn't Lord Elrond like you expected it to be. It's Lindir. You cannot help but notice how handsome he looks in the deep blue jacket he is wearing, the golden buttons gleaming in the light.
"Lindir." You greeted him, bending your head lightly and hoping desperately as you seemed as calm even if everything was a mess inside of you. Lindir, however, was not able to hide his confusion.
"What are you doing here?" He regretted asking the question the moment it escaped his mouth as your eyes returned to the sky. He feared he had sounded too hostile and that you would leave.

Fortunately for him, you hadn't interpenetrated his words as hostile, you were too nervous to hide your confusion. Why was he here instead of Lord Elrond? Maybe the elf lord had been busy and had asked him to meet you there instead? You didn't comment on it, you didn't want him to think you would rather have Lord Elrond there with you. Tilting your head you observed the stars again, the cold light drawing your attention again.
"It's beautiful out here." You commented, eyes still glued to the stars.
"Yes, it is." Lindir agreed, but he wasn't watching the stars. Why would he when you were right there? There wasn't a sight more ethereal to be found, he was sure of it.

Silence settled around the two of you as your eyes remained on the stars and his were on you, studying how the stars reflected from your eyes. Lindir didn't even notice that he had approached you before his leg hit the bench you were sitting on. The sudden figure at the corner of your eye made you turn, and you smiled as you saw Lindir standing there. You shifted slightly away from him, making room on the bench for him. He hesitated for a moment before he sat down next to you, his heart pounding so loudly that he was sure you could hear it too. But you couldn't, your own heartbeat was equally as loud and distracting.

Your hands rested on the bench, side by side, and Lindir wished that he had the courage to grasp yours. But he didn't, and he turned his eyes to the stars, keeping an eye on you out of the corner of his eye.
"Oh, a shooting star!" You let out an excited sigh, and Lindir turned his head just in time to see the bright streak across the night sky. You closed your eyes, taking a deep breath in. You remained still for a moment before you opened your eyes, blinking as you saw Lindir watching you. A blush coated your cheeks, and you moved a bit of your hair behind your pointed ear to hopefully mask it.
"You didn't wish for anything?" You asked, glancing at his face.

A gust of wind passed over the balcony and you shivered, rubbing your hands against each other, the chilliness of the air seeping into them. Lindir didn't let himself overthink it as he shifted closer to reach for your hands. He encased them into his larger ones, the warmth seeping from his skin to yours immediately. You blushed fiercely, your eyes dropping to see that his hands were actually on yours, your brain trying to keep up with the simple action. Was it friendly? Or was it something more?

As you raised your eyes from your hands, you met his eyes by surprise, his face much closer than you had anticipated. His eyes had a warm glow to them, the brown color almost black in the dark night.

Lindir was the brave one to move. He leaned closer slowly, giving you every chance to back away, but you didn't. His lips brushed yours in a barely-there kiss as he leaned away to examine your face. Your eyes were soft, the love burning in them suffocating every other emotion out of its way. He leaned in again, not as cautious this time but still ready to pull back the moment you gave any indication. As Lindir connected your lips with so much more passion, emotion exploded in your stomach. You sighed into the kiss, squeezing his hands with yours as you pulled him closer, not wanting the kiss to end. Your lips danced together even when both of your lungs were screaming for air.

As you pulled apart, you stared at each other for a moment, panting, before a smile broke each of your faces. You giggled, resting your forehead on his chest.
"Have we really been this blind?" Lindir asked, and you shook your head, not understanding how you hadn't realized anything before.
"Never again." You muttered, your lips ghosting over his as you leaned closer.
"Never again." He agreed as he connected your lips again.

Lindir is always so fun to write about!