Troublemaker - Thorin

Warnings: none, I think?
Word count: 1554
Other:
Requested: by DwarfMaiden

Your son seems to be able to cause trouble wherever he goes.

You rubbed your hand over the bump on your belly, watching as Thorin chased your son Thror (second of his name) around your bedroom.
"I'm going to catch you." He growled as the small dwarfling giggled and dodged yet another attempt his father made of scooping him up in his arms. You couldn't help the smile on your face, it was so rare that Thorin had time to spend with his son.

But the moment was over all too soon when there was a knock on the door. Thorin straightened his back, ran his hand through his hair to smooth it, and took a deep breath to regain his composure before he answered the door. All the signs of the playful father were wiped away, and they were replaced with a cool and determined king.
"I'm sorry to disturb you, my lord, but an emergency meeting has been called, Lord Thranduil arrived with his elves." Bofur was out of breath as he panted in the doorway, having to lean on a wall to help him catch his breath. Your brows rose, King Thranduil arriving with his elves was definitely a surprise, as he rarely left the kingdom.

Thorin gave a curt nod and closed the door again, turning to look at the two of you with a sad look. The celebration for the fifth anniversary of reclaiming Erebor was tonight, and everyone in the castle was working hard to make sure that everything was in perfect order for tonight. Unfortunately, that meant a lot of meetings and things Thorin needed to attend and look over.
"I have to-
"-Go. I know." You interrupted a deep sigh breaking out of your chest, running your hand through your son's hair as his shoulders slumped.
"Go hug your papa goodbye, you'll see him in the evening." You gave Thorin a sharp look that meant something along the lines of 'you better be there, don't make me a liar'. You knew that he was busy with all of his duties as king, but you had to often remind him that he had also much more important duties as a father. You didn't want your son to grow distant from his father, you couldn't have that happen. He had missed so much of his life already, you did want him to be a part of the rest of it.

You saw your son's shoulders slump as his father left the room, and you scooped him up.
"What do you think, should we go visit the kitchens?" You asked, tickling him gently.
"I have a few last tastings to do and I think you might be able to help me."
"Yes!" Your son squealed, squirming out of your hold and onto the floor, sprinting to the door. He was out of it before you could stop him.
"Thror, wait for me!" You called after him, quickly fitting your crown on your head and stepping out of your room, giving a nod to the guards that were guarding the door.
"Thror!" Your words seemed to fall on deaf ears as your son disappeared behind a corner, and you sighed. He had too much energy today, and you knew it was going to cause trouble later.

You were right about Thror's excess energy causing trouble. Fili and Kili shook their heads as the little dwarf in front of them settled down, mesmerized by blocks, just enough for them to take a deep breath. They were supposed to be watching him while his parents were finishing up a few details for the party tonight, but Thror turned out to be a bigger challenge than they had anticipated. He was much quicker in his movements than they had thought, and he managed to get himself into trouble everywhere they went. So far, he had pulled down a full bag of flour, coloring the kitchens in a coat of pure white, and had managed to knock down every wooden support that was reserved for swords. He hadn't hurt himself, thank Aule, because Thorin would have had their heads if he had, but the amount of noise hundreds of swords made while hitting the ground simultaneously was deafening. They didn't even have time to apologize for their cousin as they had to race after him to keep him in their sights.

Just as the brothers thought things couldn't be worse, Thror sprinted in the opposite direction they had anticipated, building up the distance between him and the dwarves that were supposed to be watching him. Their hearts grew cold when they realized where he was headed. The meeting hall.
"No, Thror, you don't have permission to go in-" The door closed behind the small dwarf, and Kili finished his sentence with a sigh.
"-there." He ran a hand through his hair.
"We're dead," Fili stated, not sure what to do.

- -

To say Thranduil was surprised when the small dwarf burst through the doors was an understatement, but it baffled him even more when Thorin seemed to know him.
"Thror, what are you doing here, you are supposed to be with Fili and Kili!" He exclaimed and had to slam a hand on top of his papers so they wouldn't fly away in the breeze.
"We're playing tag!" Thorin's brows drew closer together at that.
"I see. And do they know that you are playing tag?" Thror sprinted past his father, crawling under the table and bumping it as he went, forcing Thranduil to steady the candlestick that had been wobbling hazardously in front of him, threatening to fall over and burn his papers.
"Yes." The answer didn't sound at all convincing. Thorin's eyes squinted at that, and he gestured one of the guards to discreetly leave the room and go find you.
"Are you sure?" He asked, tone still light, letting his son have a chance to come clean. He had done this before, and the kingdom had been in shambles afterward. It had taken everyone days to get everything back into order. But now there was a problem, as the castle needed to be tidy tonight, as the feast would be starting, and Thorin was already discouraged by the amount of extra work it would mean.

Just as the little dwarf had set his sights on the sturdy table that held all sorts of important artifacts, the door slammed open.
"Thror!" Your voice made the boy freeze, and you stepped over a broken bowl, your eyes stern, your hands propped into your hips.
"Hi, amad." Your son greets you hesitantly, but the straight line of your mouth doesn't change, your brow just rises.
"I think I told you to behave." Your eyes were squinted, completely ignoring the elven king's presence in the room.
"I am, naneth, I promise." You crossed your arms at this, and Thror shrunk into himself as he realized he had been caught.
"Really? Then it must have been some other Thror that I hear has exploded an entire bag of flour in the kitchens and knocked over everything in the armory?" Your son shrunk to himself even more, his eyes were sunken to the toes of his boots.
"I'm, sorry, amad."
"I'm not the one you should be apologizing to." Your tone was stern but not malicious in any way, and your son dared to lift his eyes from his boots now.

He thought for a moment, you could almost hear the thoughts rushing through his head.
"If we go to the kitchens and I'll help them clean up? And I'll apologize to the armorer for knocking over everything." He suggested with a small voice.
"I know I'm not allowed to touch weapons until I have a beard." You gave a laugh and ran a hand over his hair, ruffling it up.
"That sounds food. But there are a few others you have to apologize to first." He looked at you for a moment with a small frown before realization downed him and he turned towards the table, fiddling with his sleeves.
"I'm sorry about interrupting your meeting." They both just nodded, and you stepped forward and kissed your husband's cheek.
"Don't take too long, you better keep your promise. Or else." You muttered the last words to him slowly which he was the only one that could hear. You could see his adam's apple bopping as he swallowed.
"I promise." Satisfied with his answer, you herded your son out of the room, closing the door with a small smile.

Thorin shook his head as the door closed behind him, returning back to his papers.
"I apologize for the interruption." Thranduil gave a nod, but he did understand. He did have a son of his own, and decades ago, he had been just as much trouble. The two returned to their reports, discussing the prices and restrictions for trading between the two kingdoms.

Another request done, I had a little trouble in figuring out a way to start this request, but when I got there, it shaped itself out quite nicely.

I haven't written for baby dwarves much before, and that is a shame. I'll have to do more of that in the future!

Pt. 180