Old memories - Thranduil

Warnings: death of a family member (not graphic)
Word count: 1290
Other: -
Requested: Nope

An unexpected visit from dwarves brings up a lot of old and painful memories.

Legolas, Tauriel, and a group of other elves found the dwarves lounging in the forest, and they had taken them to the kingdom. Once they reached the kingdom, they took them to be interrogated by the king. Thranduil was sitting on his throne, looking calm as ever. The queen's throne was empty, she was elsewhere taking care of matters.
"Why did you enter our kingdom?" Thranduil's voice was as cold as ice, and the guards thanked Eru that they weren't the target of Thranduil's anger. The dwarves stayed silent and still, and Thranduil let out a huff. This made a shrill fear run through the guard's backs'. The huff meant that Thranduil's thin patience was running out, and when it did no one was safe. That would mean increased patrols on the borders and longer patrol times.

Luckily, a clang of one of the guards hitting their spears to the floor sounded and the queen entered the hall. She was wearing a silvery dress, her hair was open and a crown made of the finest silver, opals, and diamonds rested on her head. A small smile was on her lips, and she thanked the guards with a small nod. The guards next to Thranduil's throne bowed and moved their spears to allow their queen to go to her throne.

Tauriel was walking towards Thranduil's throne to give the sword found by one of the dwarves to him. You recognized the scabbard as she walked closer.
"Orcrist." The name slipped through your lips, and Tauriel stilled. You made your way back down and you extended a hand to her. She handed the sword over without question.

This was the first time one of the dwarves reacted to anything. Thorin Oakenshield shifted, looking at you with burning eyes, but you ignored them and slid the sword out of its scabbard, admiring the shine.
"Still as light and deadly, just like I remember you." You swung the sword slowly in your hands, admiring the balance.
"You know it?" The tone in the dwarf's words was hostile, and the guards gripped their weapons tighter, ready to strike the moment Thranduil gave the order. You were a loved queen and they would not have you harmed or insulted in their presence.
"Of course I know it." You paused for a moment and twisted it around, admiring how it looked exactly the same, even after centuries.
"It was her father's long ago," Thranduil added from his throne, keeping a tight eye on the dwarves. If they even breathed in your direction, he would have the archers fill them with arrows.
"Now, I wonder how it got into your possession." The dwarf was still and quiet. You huffed, placing the sword back into its scabbard with a 'clink' before you handed it back to Tauriel.

You were about to head to your throne when you noticed something peeking out of Oakenshields shoe.
"Check his boot." You commanded the few guards next to you as you motioned toward the dwarf's legs, and they did immediately. Thorin did not like it when two of them grabbed his hands and one yanked the map out of his boot.
"Don't touch that you -" And then an angry word in dwarvish, which probably wasn't very flattering. They handed the map to Legolas, and let go of Oakenshield's arms, who straightened his jacked with an angry huff and leered at you, as the map was handed to you. You examined it, turning the paper slightly in your hands.
"Erebor." You slid your finger on the yellowing parchment, pulling angry huffs from the dwarves.
"Could I ask, what is your interest in the mountain?" The dwarves stayed silent, and you resisted the urge to roll your eyes.
"Very well. But I take it my brother-in-law translated the moon runes for you?" A flash of surprise showed on Oakenshield's face, and the corners of your mouth turned up.
"So he did." If the dwarves had been to Rivendell, they probably didn't have any ill-willed plans toward your kind.
"Lord Elrond is your brother-in-law?" One of the dwarves slipped from their stoic facade. You waved your hand around absentmindedly.
"He was married to my sister before she sailed." This brought up more questions to the dwarves than it answered, but after a dark look from Thorin, Balin decided to stay quiet.
"This isn't the time to talk about her family tree. What are you doing in our kingdom?" Thranduil demanded again, only to get nothing as a response.
"I think the answer is obvious, hûn velui (sweetheart). They are traveling to reclaim
Erebor."

This was it for Thorin. He took a threatening step towards you but was stopped as a spear pressed into his neck. The king's guard wasn't going to let the dwarf anywhere near you.
"We wouldn't have to reclaim it if you had helped us when it was taken by Smaug!" Thorin roared, and you gave a small shake of your head.
"We warned you, we warned your grandfath-."
"But you didn't help when we were in need!" Thorin growled, and you straightened your spine and turned to face him completely.
"Do not interrupt me while I am speaking." The guards on your left and right moved ever so slightly, as this side of the queen was visible rarely. The shift in your tone was drastic from your normal soft one to this, hard and ice cold.
"You did not help us when the dragon took our mountain." Thorin seethed, and you decided this was the time to head back up to your throne.
"Last time we fought a dragon, it cost me my brother and almost my husband. I wasn't going to risk it again. I wouldn't lead my people into a fight he we could not win." Thranduil knew that topic wasn't one you preferred, so he placed his hand on yours as you sat on your throne, and gestured to his guards with a flick of his fingers. The dwarves were dragged away as a resisting and shouting mess.

When their shouts couldn't be heard anymore, Thranduil turned to you.
"Everything alright, melda (beloved)?" You gave him a small, fake smile and nodded.
"I think I'll head to bed early." You muttered and stood, nodding to the guards as you exited the room. Thranduil sighed. As much as he wanted to, he had a few duties to attend to before he could follow you.

- -

When Thranduil entered the room, you straightened your back and wiped your cheeks quickly, hoping he wouldn't notice. But he did, and he sat down next to you, grabbing your hands in his.
"It wasn't your fault." He knew that you still blamed yourself for the death of your brother.
"But I should have been there to help him. I should have pulled him away. I should ha-" Thranduil interrupted your guilt-driven rant.
"No. It wasn't your fault. And neither were my injuries." Tears dropped from your eyes, and you brought your hand to his cheek. The injured side of his face. He always kept it hidden from you, he knew how you blamed yourself for not being able to get him out of the way.

Smiling softly, he picked you up in his lap, and you pressed your head to his chest.
"I love you, darling. So very much." He muttered, peppering kisses on the top of your head. You snuggled closer, enjoying the warmth of his body and his calming heartbeat.

I've had this one unfinished in my drafts. I edited this quite a bit.

Edited on 9.12.2022