Surprising - Thranduil

Warnings: giant spiders, my poor battle writing skills
Word count: 965
Other: Teen!reader, Thranduil's daughter and Legolas' younger sister.
Requested: by sunshvnemila

Your skills surprise your brother and your father.

You did not want to be out here, but your brother had talked you into it. You'd much rather be in your room, reading and writing than face to face with a spider about twice your size. But here you were, in the dark and gloomy forest, squeezing the dagger tightly in the palm of your hand, face to face with a spider.

Elsewhere, Legolas was panicking. You had just been there, and now you were nowhere to be seen. He would never forgive himself if something happened, so he had sent pairs of guards to look for you in different directions as he headed into one, alone.
"Y/n!" The should echo only the forest, no answer leaving him in an eerie silence.

When Legolas heard the screeches of a spider, he felt like his heart slipped a few beats before he stormed in the direction, tightening the hold of his blades. You were not the fighting type, you were a poet and a writer, spending most of your time in the library unlike him, as his day was spent training and patrolling.

You were still staring at the spider, the two of you weighing each other down, trying to find a weak point in their defense. The spider attached the moment you blinked, and you jumped out of the way, bringing your dagger around your back, taking off one of the creature's legs and causing it to screech. You spun the blade around, turning to face the spider, your hair following your movements. It was more careful now, having underestimated you once. It could not make the same mistake again.

Legolas stepped into the clearing and could hardly believe his eyes. His little sister was fighting a spider bigger than her and was holding off surprisingly well. She twirled her dagger around, just like he had taught her, and managed to get a slash into the body of the spider. Unfortunately, the force of the spider as it trashed backward yanked the dagger out of your grasp, and you were left defenseless as it clattered to the ground to the other side of the spider. But before the spider could realize that you were defenseless and in serious trouble, an arrow shot from a nearby tree, piercing the head and killing the spider instantly.

You yanked yourself around, startled but relaxed when you saw Legolas drop down from the branch.
"You startled me." You accused softly, walking to pick up your dagger.
"I startled you?!" Legolas swept you into a hug, locking your arms under his, leaving you unable to use them.
"You are the one that disappeared without a trace! And when I found you, you were face to face with a spider!" You rolled your eyes, struggling to get out of his grip.
"But I'm fine. It didn't even touch me." You argued, managing to free yourself from his embrace. As your hands found your hips, you quirked a brow at him.
"I'm not helpless. I can defend myself just fine."
"But I though-" You didn't let Legolas finish, you knew exactly what he was saying.
"You thought that because I rather spend my time reading than fighting that I am hopeless. I am not, I just find no joy in combat." With that, you toss your hair and take off running, Legolas scampering to follow you.

As you arrive in the kingdom, you head at straight to your bedroom. As you strode through the mostly deserted hallways, the events of the evening running tough your head and the irritation for your brother still tingling your insides, you almost ran into your father.
"Careful, elen (star). What has got you so tense?" You rolled your eyes, just wanting to get back to your book. You had just reached the exciting part when Legolas pulled away from it.
"I just want to read my book in peace. I don't want to eat, I don't want to talk and I definitely don't want to go into the forest and face off with a spider." You huffed angrily, pushing past him. Your words sunk in after you had turned the corner.
"What do you mean 'face off with a spider?" Your father asked, brow furrowing in worry.
"It means exactly what you think it means. I took her with me to the forest today, and she ran off on her own. When I found her, she was face to face with a spider." Legolas saw his father's muscles tense and continued hastily before he could storm after you or call an army of healers to check if you were okay. You were annoyed enough, and Legolas knew it was best just to let you read in peace.
"She had no trouble defending herself against it, she wouldn't have even needed my help if the dagger hadn't flown from her hand. She's alright." Legolas assured his father, whose brow was still furrowed, surprise evident on his face.
"You- You didn't know that she can fight?" Legolas asked, Thranduil shaking his head slowly.
"Neither did I." He confessed, and the two looked at each other in silence for a moment before realization hit them at the same time.
"Tauriel."

Hello sweetlings, I'm sorry it had been a while since I last posted! I was at my summerhouse and my parents house for a week and I took time off writing when I was there. Now I back home and I am returning back to writing, and I hope I will be able to get these requests out in the next few weeks to come.