Opposites - Dwalin (request)

Warnings: -
Word count: 1915
Other: -
Requested by myki_fox

Dwalin has heard all the stories of what it felt like to find your One, and he was sure that Y/N was his. But what are you supposed to do when your One is too shy to even talk to you?

Dwalin was growing frustrated, how could one hobbit girl be so distracting? All it took was your giggle at one of Bilbo's jokes, and Dwalin's insides were doing flips. He would most likely drop the thing he was holding or stutter with his words. Y/N had joined their company after she had refused to be left home alone, wanting to be there for her brother, Bilbo. The two were close, and he was the only one she was perfectly comfortable with. Now, when the mountain had been reclaimed and they had been staying there for a month now, she was starting to get comfortable with the dwarves as well, but she was still extremely reserved. She still stumbled over her words while talking with everyone else that wasn't Bilbo, and she only talked when it was absolutely necessary.

How on earth could Dwalin get her to talk with her when even the sight of him made her squeak and come up with an excuse to leave the situation? Dwalin had tried everything to get you to be more comfortable with him, but still, you started to fiddle with your fingers when he stepped close and your words came out in a burst of stutter when you couldn't come up with an excuse quick enough. Dwalin was slowly growing desperate, Bilbo had announced a few days ago that the two of you were leaving when autumn would come, and summer was ending. The first leaves were starting to turn shades of yellow, orange, and red; time was running out. Dwalin could not let you walk out of his life, he wasn't sure if his heart would be able to take it.

So, he did what he had to do. Bilbo nearly jumped out of his skin when Dwalin slammed the door of his room open with such force that a few of his books fell from their shelves.
"I need your help."
"M-My help?" Bilbo had no idea how could he help the gruff warrior. Unless...
"Is this about Y/N?" Dwalin froze. Could he have known? Dwalin's silence gave Bilbo the answer he had been searching for.
"So it is." Dwalin could only stare, still not grasping how Bilbo had figured it out.
"Half of the company has trotted up in here, asking for my permission to court my sister." Dwalin's heart froze. All of those dwarves were a much better match for you than the tattooed warrior, so he turned to leave.
"However-" Bilbo raised his voice and Dwalin turned back around to face him.
"You are the only one I am willing to give permission to."
"Why?" Dwalin was dumbstruck, and it was evident in his voice. If Bofur or Kili or hell, anyone else of the company had come asking for your hand, why on earth did Bilbo give him permission?
"Because you are the only one she is interested in." Dwalin was sure his heart stopped at that exact moment. You didn't fear him? You were interested in him?

- -

After what seemed like hours of endless encouragement from Bilbo Dwalin was standing in front of your room's door, with a bouquet of flowers in one hand and a book in the other. Bilbo had insisted that they were the best gifts for you and essential parts in hobbit courting, so Dwalin had gone to get them both immediately after leaving Bilbo's room. There was a ball being held this evening and Bilbo trusted Dwalin enough to tell him that you had thought of skipping it, but he was sure that if Dwalin would ask you to come, you would.

Dwalin knocked on your harebell blue door, a round one as you and Bilbo had requested ones so you could have a part of Shire in your homes, even if you lived in Erebor. Thorin granted your wishes immediately, ordering the best carpenters and builders for the job.

The door opened slowly, and you stood there in a dress that matched the shade of your door perfectly. You had a few forget me not's in your braid as well, and you tilted your head up to look the taller dwarf in the eyes.
"D-Dwalin? What a-are you doing h-here?"
"I came to give you these." He slowly handed you the book as well as the flowers, and you just stared at them for a moment before you blushed a deep red. You accepted them with shaking hands and placed the flowers on the table next to you as you ran your hand across the leathery back of it.
"T-Thank you. What's the o-occasion?" It was about plants, one you had wished for quite some time to have.
"I was just wondering if you would join me for the feast this evening?" You froze. You had dreamed of this moment. Truly, you had had this dream a few nights before and you had cried when you had woken up and realized it was just a dream. But now that it was actually happening to you, you were frozen.