Not again - Thranduil

Warnings: None, I think (?)
Word count: 1330
Other: -
Requested: by SoberWrights

Brought closer by heartbreaking loss, you and Thranduil find solace in each other's company, and have found for decades. When someone comes to step between the two of you, Thranduil will not let it happen.

Thranduil's wife died centuries ago, his son is now grown, and you had lost your husband only years after your wedding, your relationship had started as two friends consoling each other after a devastating loss, but when time passed, the feeling started to develop between the pair of you. Both of you had been hesitant to move forward, scared it would foul the memories of your previous companions but after a stern talking-to from Legolas, who had told you to stop acting like a pair of idiots, your relationship had truly blossomed and it had been that way since.

There is a content smile on your lips as you set the now-empty teacup on the table, smiling at the elf who had his hand resting on yours. You and Thranduil had quite recently moved from friends to lovers, but the feelings packed between the two of you were not shallow by any means.
"Should we go to the gardens to finish our tea? I hear the chrysanthemums are blossoming beautifully, though they will be no match for you." Thranduil hummed gently in your ear, and you blushed deeply at the compliment, giving a small nod and a gentle smile.

It isn't long until you are sitting under a huge oak tree, the chrysanthemum bush on your right, the stunning scent spreading through the air. You are sitting side by side, your hand weaved with his as you converse quietly. You have been playing with the idea of marriage for a while now, keeping it between the two of you, for now, pondering for the right time to tell the kingdom. Your relationship was been announced to the kingdom a year ago, and the people took the news with such joy.

Your calm conversation was interrupted by a cough and Thranduil turned his head towards the sound, assuming it was one of the serving staff bringing more tea. But the elf standing in the middle of the path was not a part of the serving staff. He was thin as a branch, facial bones sticking out of their face, but Thranduil recognized them instantly, a cold fist rising to grip his heart. Elanjar, your old husband, who you believed to be dead, was there.

A bright sound of shattering glass broke Thranduil out of his haze, your teacup now broken on the floor as your hands were lifted in front of your mouth.
"Y/N." The elf let out, his tone breathless, pushing past Thranduil and running to you, lifting you to your feet and embracing you tightly. You were frozen, you didn't know how to react as his arms wrapped around you in a tight embrace.
"E-Elanjar- H-How?" You cannot find the words, your brain feels like it has stopped working for good.

His hand drops to yours, but when his fingers trace over your ring finger in your left hand, the band resting there isn't the simple golden band, but instead, it's silver and infused with dozens of tiny diamonds.
"You r-remarried?" His voice is hoarse, his shock evident.
"You didn't wait for me?" The slight accusatory tinge in his voice makes your heart ache, and you can't help but the tears that escape.
"I did wait for you. Nearly three centuries." You swallowed thickly, pulling your hand from his.
"Your death... It almost killed me, Elanjar. It would have killed me if Thranduil hadn't been there to pull me out of the dark, to show me that not all light is gone from the world." The taller, silver-haired elf had approached the two of you, deeming it best to stay back until now.

You didn't know what to do or what to think. You had loved Elanjar, you had truly loved him, but it had been almost three centuries since his disappearance. Your heart belonged to Thranduil now. You lifted your eyes to Thranduil, who looked at you with gentle eyes, but you could see the deep-rooted fear in them.

Thranduil's heart was racing in his chest when he saw you in the embrace of your old husband. Frear gripped his heart at the thought of losing you. Of losing someone he loved again. He knew that if you left him, his heart could not recover, not this time. After the death of his wife and Legolas' mother, the only thing that kept him alive was the promise he had made to keep his son safe. Legolas was grown now, a skillful fighter, his protection was no longer about Thranduil. his promise had been fulfilled, and if you left him, his heart would not be able to take it.

Your eyes dropped to the ground, your heart feeling like it was ripped in the trough. The love you held for Thranduil and the deep-rooted feelings for Elanjar are in complete turmoil inside you. Elanjar reached slowly for your hand, giving it a gentle squeeze.
"Y/N." You didn't lift your gaze, it stayed fixed on the ground.
"Y/N, look at me." You didn't want to see the disappointment, hurt, or even hatred in his eyes. His finger lifted your chin gently, and when your eyes met his, you didn't see any of the emotions you had feared in his grey eyes. Instead, they held nothing but love and understanding.
"I am not angry if that is what you fear." He took a deep breath, taking both of your hands in his, thumbs tracing patterns on the backs of them.
"A part of me wishes I could hate you, to yell and rage but I cannot. I know, my heart knows, that your heart is no longer mine." His tone was even, eyes calm, still holding some of the adoration and love you could faintly remember. You lifted your hand to his cheek, wiping away a stray tear that had escaped before you returned your hand to his, resting it atop his.

Elanjar closed his eyes, taking a deep breath before he opened them again. He leaned forward and kissed your forehead, his lips resting on your skin for a moment before he pulled away. He took a step away from you, placing your shaking hands in Thranduil's, whose eyes snapped to you immediately.
"Take care of her."
"I promise." Thranduil's eyes visited Elanjar's for a moment before they returned to you, his voice was trembling slightly with hidden emotion. He squeezed your hands tightly, afraid that you would disappear if he let go.

Your old husband disappeared behind the blossoming trees, and you and Thranduil stood still for a moment, just staring into each other's eyes. He was the first to move, leaning forward and pressing his lips to yours as his hands dropped to your hips, pulling you tightly against him. The kiss was searing, filled with burning love and admiration. When he pulled away his face remained close to yours, your noses touching. Neither of you said a word, they weren't needed as he drew you against his chest. Thranduil closed his eyes, relief flooding his body, and a single tear slid down his cheek.

I thought about making Elanjar a bad guy and using that to resolve the conflict, but that didn't feel very elvish for me. So I decided against it and came up with this.

I'm so sorry I haven't been writing, my motivation is taking a vacation and I have been so so busy with school stuff. I was also sick (yes, again) briefly, nothing serious but nasty enough to suck all the strength off me and make writing impossible.
I am working on finishing the rest of my requests as soon as I can!

Love ya and stay healthy!