Perfectly safe - Elrond

Warnings: Just cuteness
Word count: 678 (This is probably the shortest oneshot I've written)
Other: Can he read as a sort of "prequel" for Grown up (Haldir)

Your brothers told you the story of Glorfindel and the balrog as a bedtime story, and now you are too scared to sleep.

Elrond yawned. It had been a long night, and he still had tons of papers to look through. Sighing, he picked up the next one and scanned his eyes over the paper. He didn't lift his gaze when he heard the door open, thinking it was Lindir, there to bring him more papers.
"Ada?" The small voice made him lift his head rapidly, and he saw you standing on the floor, twisting the wing of your stuffed butterfly in your arms.
"Y/N, little flower, what are you doing here?" He stood up behind his desk and walked around it to you.
"I can't sleep." Your voice was small and when Elrond kneeled to your level, he saw tears in your eyes.
"Oh, gwaloth (blossom), why are you crying?" He picked you up and walked to the small settee in the corner of his room. Sitting down, he wiped your cheeks as the tears had now escaped your eyes.
"I'm scared, Ada." You mumbled, your face buried into his chest.
"Scared? What are you scared of?" You shook your head, not wanting to tell him.
"You'll feel better if you talk to me." He rocked you gently, trying to console you.
"There's a balrog under my bed." You squeaked, squeezing his robe in your hands.
"Balrog? Darling, there haven't been balrogs in arda for so long. Where did you even hear about them?" You couldn't have gotten the information from the library, you didn't know how to read yet.
"Elladan and Elrohir told me the story of Glorfindel." Elrond sighed. Of course. He would have to have a chat with his sons about appropriate bedtime stories.
"There are no balrogs here. You are perfectly safe here in Rivendell."
"But I saw it move!" You squeaked, holding onto Elrond for dear life.
"I'll come and make sure there are no balrogs, gwaloth." He stood up and walked to your room.

At the door of your room, Elrond set you down, but you grabbed his sleeve.
"Don't go, Ada." He smiled at you and gently removed your hand.
"I'll be fine." He entered the room and kneeled next to your bed. You squeaked as you were sure a fire-breathing monster would jump out and attack him. But nothing happened. He pulled his head back and smiled.
"See, darling. Nothing to be afraid of." He smiled at you, lifting you up from the floor and back into your bed. You smiled back at him, throwing your arms around his neck and hugging him tightly.
"Thank you, Ada."
"You're welcome little one. Now, get some sleep." He kissed your forehead, and pulled the covers over you, making sure your butterfly was in your grasp as he stood. Closing the door behind him, he sighed and went to look for his sons. There was a discussion to be had.

- - -

The next evening, Elrond was tucking you into bed when he noticed you nervously glancing around your room.
"Is something wrong darling?" His words made you look up and glance at your bed.
"N-No." You muttered, wringing the wing of your butterfly in your hands.
"Are you still worried about the balrogs?" Elrond asked, noting your glances eyes kept returning to your bed. You just nodded, and he kneeled next to the bed, banding down to see under it.
"Nothing here but dust bunnies and a few leaves. No balrogs." He assured you, and you laid down on your bed, squeezing your butterfly into a tight hold.
"Now, sleep tight little one."
"Good night ada." You mumbled, snuggling under your blanket, feeling safe once again.

Wow, I'm on a roll here. But all this writing is really emptying out my idea bank, so requests would be greatly appreciated! ;)
Edited on 31.1.2022.