Special - Faramir

Warnings: a little bit of angst (?)
Word count: 1368
Other: Edited on 23.6.2021

"You are a horrible excuse of a son! If Boromir was here, you would have never lost Osgiliath!" Denethor screamed and it took all your willpower that you didn't storm over and hit him in the head with the frying pan you had just been washing.

Denethor had had a great meal, and nearly all the women, including the higher-ups such as you, had been gathered to wash the dishes. You didn't fear work, you were happy to help the maids so they didn't have to do all these dishes alone, but it annoyed you greatly.

"We tried our best, my lord, the orcs were killing us one by one, we had to retreat..." Faramir tried to explain to his father, who just growled at him.
"Did your best? Don't be ridiculous, the best would have been done if Boromir would have been there. But I have to settle for you." He spat out the last word like it was poison, and Faramir wavered but didn't let his emotions show just yet. Your heart sank, it pained your heart that he had to deal with his father behaving like this. You loved Faramir with all your heart. You had married right before Boromir had left and he had been so happy for you.
"You wish that I had gone. And died. Instead of him." Faramir said, and his father's expression didn't even flinch as he nodded.
"Yes, I wish that. Now, get your face off of my sight." He growled and Faramir left after giving him a short bow.

"Love." You approached him in the hallway, and he stopped but didn't turn around.
"Not now, Y/N. I want to be alone." His voice was even, lacking any emotion. You understood, but you also knew that even if it seemed like his father's words didn't hurt him, but it was all an act. He would probably fall apart later, and you wanted to be there so he wasn't alone.
"Faramir." You took a step closer but he shook his head and spoke with a stern tone.
"Not now! I want to be alone." You halted and nodded, staring at his back. He rarely raised his voice, and never with you. You were a little taken aback but you shoved it aside and spoke softly.
"I will see you at the chambers tonight. I love you." He didn't answer anything, he just walked away and turned behind a corner. You sighed and returned to the dishes.

- - - -

It took you all day to get all of the dishes and pans clean, and you were exhausted as you walked back to the room you shared with your husband. You wanted to fall asleep in his warm embrace but as you made your way in, he was already in bed, his back towards the side you slept on. You quickly got out of your clothes and slipped on a nightgown, opening the bun in your hair as you made your way to the bed. You laid down and placed your hand on his shoulder, but he shook it away. You were stunned, he always held you before you fell asleep, it was one of the things you did every day. Tears pooled in your eyes as you laid down, and closed your eyes, wanting the old Faramir back. He hadn't been himself since the news of his brother's death had reached the city and Denethor had started insulting and denouncing him.

As morning came, you opened your eyes only to see Faramir already gone, the side of his bed empty and cold, so he had gotten up a while ago. You got up and washed your face with cool water, trying to organize your thoughts. "He probably just had some business with the guards. We will see each other at breakfast." You gathered your hair into a messy bun and grabbed a dark blue dress out of the closet, his favorite one.

You arrived at breakfast, and a maid hurried to greet you.
"Morning, Y/N, whould you like some pancakes?" She smiled warmly at you.
"Yes, thank you, Brianna, I would love that." She hurried away and you stood still, looking around the hall trying to find him, but he wasn't there. "That's odd, he loves breakfast. Especially pancakes." The maid, Brianna returned and you took a seat.
"Have you seen Faramir this morning?" You asked as casually as you could, and she shook her head.
"I'm sorry my lady, you just missed him. He took a single apple and left." She hurried away to serve a table full of guards that were yelling for another tankard of ale. You grimaced. Faramir rarely drank, and he never drank so much that he was at the same level as an animal. You appreciated that, even if some of the men thought he was soft.

You spent the entire day trying to find Faramir, and it seemed that every time you arrived just after him. You had spotted him in the hallways a few times, but before you could react, he would walk away and be gone by the time you reached the spot. You were slowly getting the feeling that he was avoiding you. You didn't want him to chase you away. You loved him too much to allowing him to blame himself over things he had done right but his father despised. You decided to act in the evening.

- - - -

You were hiding in the bathroom, he never took baths in the evening, he always bathed in the mornings. You stood there, still, and held the room key tightly in your hand. You were about to confront him, and he couldn't run away this time.

You heard the door slam shut and footsteps echoing around the room. You stiffened, and as you heard the bed creak, you kicked the door open and stormed towards the other. Faramir let out a surprised yelp, but you ignored it and ran to the door that led out of the room, locking it and tossing the key into the bathroom.
"Now you can't run away." You huffed and placed your hands to your hips. Faramir's shoulders slumped, and he turned him away from you.
"Love, please tell me what is wrong." You pleaded and sat next to him on the bed, causing him to stiffen.
"Faramir? Please." You begged and he turned to you, eyes shining with tears.
"I don't want you to have to deal with being married to a man that cannot do his job." His breathing hitched as he continued.
"Y-you deserve someone special, someone better than me." You felt tears well in your eyes and you shifted so you were sitting right at his side and you grabbed his hands in your much smaller ones.
"Oh, love, you are special. I would never choose anyone but you. Denethor is wrong, you did the right thing, Boromir would have done the same." You press a kiss on his temple.
"Do not chase me away, love, it pains me to see you in a state like this." You pleaded, your heart aching for not seeing him for so long. He breathes deeply and pulled you to his chest, pressing his head to your neck as tears ran down his face.
"You are the best thing to happen to me, Y/N, I don't know what I did so I have you in my life."

He took a deep breath in and lifted his head from your neck and tilted the two of you so you were lying down on the bed.
"I love you more than anything." He whispered, and you ran your hand in his hair.
"I love you too. I'm going to be your side until the end, even if everyone else was against you." He pressed a long, soft kiss to your lips and you snuggled into his chest, and he wrapped his hands around you and you sighed happily and closed your eyes.

A new one. Yay! I'm sorry that I don't post more often, I have schoolwork and I also work on my another Tolkien story, this one gets less attention than it.