Baking - Dwalin

Warnings: -
Word count: 1714
Other: 

"Hot-hot-hot-hot-HOT!" You rambled as you lifted the twentieth pie of the day out of the oven and hastily placed it on the counter. Breathing out heavily, you wiped your forehead, the kitchen was hot as mt. Doom, as you had been baking for the whole day.
"I hope Bilbo appreciates when he gets these for my birthday," You mumbled to yourself.

You struggled as you walked to your brother's house, your sight was limited by the baskets you carried. You had a total of eight of them, two holding muffins, chocolate, and orange, the next three holding varying kinds of cookies, such as lemon, chocolate chip, peanut butter, and oatmeal. Two had all kinds of pastries, varying from small ones with jelly to big ones with whipped cream, and the last two held two pies each, pecan, blueberry, apple, and cherry. Also, you balanced one pie on top of your head, lemon meringue, which was his favorite.
"The things I do for my dear brother." You giggled in and made your way to his house, focusing hard not to drop the pie on your head.

"Who is it?" Bilbo's voice sounded from the other side of the basket-barricade, and you huffed a little annoyed.
"It's the elven lord of the nearby kingdom." You remarked sarcastically, and he opened the door and gasped.
"Oh my lord, Y/N, I'm so sorry, I didn't remember to come to see you for tea! I was going to but the dwarves arrived and it all has been chaos ever since." He rambled and you frowned, not that anyone could see it behind the barricade of baskets. "Dwarves?"
"Y/N, my dear, it is wonderful to see you." You heard a familiar voice from your left.
"Gandalf?" You squeaked, and a soft but deep laugh revealed that you were right.
"Bilbo, would you take a few of these? They weight quite a bit." You lifted your arms a little and your brother grabbed the two biggest baskets off of your hands so you could now see around a little. Gandalf was at your right, and in the doorway on the left, were at least ten, or even more, dwarves, but they left to the doorway as soon as they saw you looking at them.
"Also, brother dear, could you take the pie off of my head before it falls down?" He grabbed it and looked at it happily.
"Lemon meringue? You know me too well, sister." You hummed and walked towards his kitchen after him.

"Excuse me." You made your way through the crowd of dwarves and placed the baskets on the table.
"Y/N, you really didn't have to do this." Your brother stood next to you as the dwarves sniffed the air and glanced between the baskets, you, and Bilbo, wondering if they could take some.
"It was not a problem, anything for you." You giggled and stretched your back while looking around. Some of the dwarves were staring at you, and you smiled warmly.
"Hello." You greeted, and they greeted you back. A brown-eyed dwarf in a hat greeted you happily.
"Hello, lass. I'm Bofur, at your service." He bowed, struggling slightly as he was in the middle of the crowd.
"What are you doing here? With this kind of amount of baked goods?" He turned to look at the baskets, and you nodded your head, smiling warmly. The bald one sent sour looks to the two of you, and you shifted, uncomfortable under his gaze. When he noticed your discomfort, his eyes softened and warmed up.
"You can have some, Bilbo won't mind. My name is Y/N, Y/N Baggins, it is nice to meet you." You noticed the bald-headed one'shoulders to slump and as you turned your eyes to him, he immediately looked away.

"Would you like a cup of tea, miss?" A voice from your left sounded, and you turned to it, facing a dwarf with silver beard and hair, holding a teapot in his hands.
"Oh, I would love one! I have been baking all day, so a break sitting down with a cup of tea is exactly what I need." You exclaimed and took the cup in your hand and made your way to the only seat not vacated, located near the bald dwarf, who was watching you intensely.
"You have been baking all day? Y/N, you shouldn't have done so much work, and only for me!" Your brother exclaimed, and you let out a small laugh.
"I haven't been baking only for you, half of the Shire has visited me today for my cookies or pies or whatever. It has been exhausting but so worth it." You sighed and took a sip out of your tea.
"Fosco Boffin turned up, wanting a pie." Your brother stiffened, knowing the shenanigans of your so-called "suitor". You weren't interested in him, but he was persistent, Bilbo had to chase him away from your house at least two times a week. He didn't want men near his little sister. You were only eleven minutes younger than him, but he still treated you like he was much older. Most of the hobbits in the Shire knew not to get close to you, partly because of Bilbo, and partly because of your skills in wielding a frying pan. (A/N: Sam approves on her weapon of choice.)
"I have told him to stay away but he still keeps showing up. I might have to take the matter up with his father." Bilbo growled, and you shook your head, smiling.
"That is not necessary, he won't come to see me anytime soon." Bilbo froze and slowly turned to you.
"Why?"
"Because I hit him in the head with a frying pan." Bilbo started laughing.
"Well, that's my Y/N." He ruffled your hair and you punched his arm, laughing as well.
"How long have you two been married?" One of the dwarves asked, and you and Bilbo glanced at each other and broke into a louder laugh. As you finished, you wiped a tear out of your eye and answered.
"Oh, no! We are twins! I'm sorry if we confused you." You smiled warmly and you noticed the bald dwarf to relax significantly. Your eyes met and he turned away, his face tinted with red.

Dwalin's POV

I cursed myself as I felt my face turn red as our eyes met. I was behaving like a young dwarrow when they found the first lass they truly fancied. But I couldn't help it, her smile was irresistible, her face lighted up as she laughed with her brother and her eyes shone in the light. And Mahal, she could bake! Her cookies were the best I have ever tasted. I hate to admit but she outbaked my mother, she would roll in her grave if I said the words out loud.
"Why don't you talk to her?" Balin had arrived next to me, his eyes darting between me and Y/N.
"What are you talking about?" I asked, trying my best to sound irritated while I was internally panicking. Was it that easy to see that I fancied her? If the others, especially the two young troublemakers, found out that I fancied her they would my life miserable.
"Dwalin, I have never seen you behave like this around a woman. I am old, not blind or stupid. Go talk to her." I just stared at him and he continued, pushing me forward slightly.
"Go. Someone else will otherwise."

- - - -

Thorin arrived so we had our meeting, but I have to admit, I don't remember anything about it as I was watching Y/N the entire time. I had managed to keep myself from cheering out loud when she had volunteered to come with us to our quest as the burglar. Now, I was worried, I feared that the quest might be too much for her. I promised myself that I would do my best to keep her safe. Now, I was wandering around the house, trying to find her. Soon enough, I found her in the living room, sitting in an armchair and looking into the fire.
"Hello, miss," I greeted her, trying to think of something interesting to say next.
"Oh, hello, master dwarf. Please, Y/N is fine." She answered, her big and bright eyes looking straight into mine.
"W-well, then I insist you call me Dwalin." I cursed that I stuttered, but it seemed like she didn't notice.
"Well then, Dwalin, what I can do for you?" She asked, and I cursed in my mind that my face was growing red again.
"I just wanted to compliment your baking, the biscuits were the best ones I have ever had. Truly." To my surprise, her cheeks got a bright red color and she fiddled with her fingers.
"T-thank you." I noticed the small stutter in her voice and I felt my heart melting. Yes. My heart, that many had suspected to be out of stone, melted. She looked so adorable with her cheeks tainted red and her soft lips, corners turned into a smile. She glanced at the window and jumped up from the chair.
"It's already dark outside! I have to do the dishes before I join you on the quest."
She straightened her dress and hurried away, and my heart sank, I wanted to keep talking with her.
- - - -
I raced out the house and after her.
"Um, miss. I could help you with the dishes, of you allow me to." I grabbed her shoulders and she turnee around, looking startled but her face melted into a smile when she saw me.
"Oh! I would love some help, but I don't want to be a bother." I shook my head vigorously.
"It's not a problem at all, miss, I'd love to help." That was not entirely true. I hate doing the dishes, but for her, I would do anything.
"Well, follow me then, master Dwalin." She hurried along a small path and I stumbled after her.

Okay, not my best work...
But if you want a part 2, leave a mention to the comments!