Part 63

It is said that sometimes your gut tells us if something wrong is about to happen. It gives you a premonition of coming tragedy and it is generally advised not to ignore what your gut is trying to warn you.

Cayden was feeling something that  way. He was feeling in his gut that something was not right. He was sitting in the Valerie's office immersed in his own thoughts when Valerie entered. She called him few times but he did not respond. She walked where he was sitting and tapped on his shoulder. He was startled and looked towards her in question.

"I called your name many times but you did not respond." Valerie explained.

"I was thinking about Scarlett. It's been hours and we have not found what happened to her. Whether the truth serum and that protection spell worked or not? I am really worried for her safety, Valerie."

Valerie sighed, Scarlett was her culprit but she was Cayden's childhood best friend also. She thought she could show some sympathy to him if not empathy. "I hope she is okay. Autumn is really powerful witch and she did her job pretty well. We should wait and hope for the best till we don't get any news and pray to moon goddess for her safety."

Cayden looked towards her and smiled. "Thanks for those kind words. I know you feel anguish towards me for still thinking well about Scarlett. She did betray you and in a way she betrayed me too. For you she was just my head of warrior but for me she was like my little sister. She was no less to me than Michelle."

"But." Valerie interjected.

"I know what you are thinking that she loved me. I did love her too but like a sibling. I had no idea she had romantic feelings for me or I would have done something for her. My parents basically raised her. Her father died in a battle serving my father. He was head of warrior too. She was left with her mother only. But her mother's condition started dilapidating after her father died. It sometimes happens that it becomes very difficult for a mate to live without another. Her mother could not bear the loss of her mate and she died within a year of her father's death making Scarlett orphan at the age of eleven. Since then my parents took her in and raised her as their own."

Cayden sighed and looked outside the window. "I know I acted childish whenever you or our mate bond was involved. Challenging you, marking you against your will, trying to dominate you, not respecting you and trying to make you jealous by lying about taking Scarlett as my luna and the list goes on."

He moved towards Valerie and took her hand in his. He sighed and looked in her eyes. "I am a fool Valerie and I was wrong in so many contexts but I do love you with my whole heart. I don't know what will happen in this war but I want you to know that I have and will always love you not because you are my mate and you are destined to be mine but because you are a strong alpha, a wise alpha and a compassionate person and I am very lucky to have you. Valerie I am really sorry for whatever blunders or mistakes I have committed. I am really sorry."

There were tears of joy in Valerie's eyes. "I am sorry too Cayden. I too have sometimes reacted in a foolish way and I love you too."

Cayden smiled and looked towards her lips and then towards her. "May I?"

Valerie sobbed. "Ofcourse you can, you silly."

Cayden smiled and placed his lips on her and kissed her like there was no tomorrow. Valerie reciprocated the kiss and smiled in bliss.

"Valerie I was thinking of something." Cayden said when they both stopped kissing. Valerie nodded for him to continue. "I know how much your pack is important to you. We have a difference of 6 miles between our packs but why don't we decrease the distance between our pack lands by expanding our pack territories and make a common pack office for both ourselves from where we can both operate as alphas."