Part 36

The ringing of Valerie's phone broke her deep sleep. She ignored it once, twice but for the third time she picked it up without looking at the caller ID.

"Alpha! Where are you? We are under attack." The urgency in the voice of Jason vanquished the desire she felt to sleep. She threw the covers aside and was up in a second. "I will be there in a moment."

Cayden groaned and looked around. He saw Valerie getting dressed frantically. He looked towards her in confusion.

"I tried to contact you many times but you were not responding." Jason said.

"Sorry, I was really fast asleep." She replied remorsefully.

"Is situation under control?" She asked while wearing the jeans that Cayden has discarded few hours ago.

"Yes and no causalities so far.

Cayden was also getting dressed. He was able to hear the conversation due to his werewolf hearing.

"I am coming with you." He said when Valerie disconnected the call. He expected protests from Valerie but she nodded and agreed casually leaving a stunned Cayden. She walked out of the room in a hurry, but stopped suddenly when she found herself alone.

"Are you coming or not?" She asked. That broke Cayden's spell and he ran behind her in action. He called his immediate officials Ryder and Scarlett and asked them to accompany him with his few warriors. He asked them to keep some warriors ready if they needed more.

Valerie was out from the front of the pack house. She jumped and changed in mid air and sprinted towards her pack followed by Cayden and his officers.

When she reached the boundary of her pack she saw hunters fighting quite unfair breaking every rule but her warriors were managing well. Jason and Dominic were fighting valiantly in their human form. Kevin was giving orders like true leader and was fighting with vigor. She felt a sense of proud for her brother. With stealth she entered the battle and started fighting.

The hunters sensed sudden change in power and found the two large alpha wolves fighting. Cayden killed three hunters at once. Valerie went for kill and took two hunters down. Ryder and Scarlett were no less. When the remaining hunters felt that they are being overpowered by the werewolves, they decided to flee.

"No survivors." Valerie barked orders to her officers and they gave the same orders to the warriors. A look of horror spread amongst the hunters when they felt that they are being blocked from running and are trapped. They started using wolfbane that slowed down warriors but did not affect them much. The hunters were left flabbergasted. It was too late for them. The two alphas went for the kill followed by their officials and the warriors.

As ordered no hunter was left to survive. Valerie and Cayden looked around and when they found that the imminent danger is out they relaxed their posture. Cayden changed back into his human form. A shirt and shorts were handed to him by one of the warrior.

Valerie went behind the tree and Jason provided her the shirt. She came out of the tree. Cayden growled possessively at the lack of her clothing. Valerie rolled her eyes. She was about to order Jason about disposing the bodies when she heard someone moaning painfully. She looked around and found a hunter moaning and groaning in pain.

One of her warrior was about to twist his neck when she suddenly asked him to wait.

"Take him in the cellars. I think I want to interrogate him personally." The warrior nodded and did as told. "Someone contact Charles and where is Alexei. He is not the type who will take a back seat in a war."

"He was called by the Vampire council." Kevin replied. Valerie nodded. "Our trackers" She started "Do they know anything about this?"

Jason nodded. "I just got the news from our warrior at the border when a tracker contacted me telling that we will be attacked tonight late."

"Where is he?" She asked

"In your office." Jason replied.

She marched towards her office and heard Cayden yelling about providing her clothes. Amidst the entire stressed situation Valerie chuckled at his possessiveness.

When she was about to enter the office, Cayden stopped her and handed her shorts. Valerie smiled at him and pecked him on the lips and entered the office. She put her game face on and stood behind her desk along with Cayden.

"Why were you late in informing the beta of this pack about the attack?" Cayden asked him. "Late information is useless information. A tracker is always taught that. Have you forgotten that?"

"No alpha Cayden. I was about to sprint from the place where I got this information but suddenly I heard two hunters talking about their informant. The way they were talking about that informant it made two things crystal clear. One the informant is a female and second she knows very much about what is going on in the pack. To conclude I think either she is a wolf of higher level or she knows how to spy without getting caught. That was the reason for my delay."

A sudden silence felt in the room.

"It was not Victoria, we are sure of that. Then who could it be?" Cayden asked and Valerie shook her head.

"How are you so sure alpha?" Scarlett Cayden's head warrior asked. Valerie was immersed in the situation that she forgot that the rest of the officials were also present along with them.

"I used Autumn's power. Victoria was under spell. She could have only told the truth." Valerie replied.

"We now know it is a female." Valerie said. "But who is she?" She asked no one in particular. "This sends very wrong message to the neighboring packs. If the most powerful packs are getting penetrated so easily by the hunters then the weaker ones are not at all a match. This incident will raise questions on my power and my ability to rule. This can cause mutiny".

"You are thinking too much too soon." Cayden replied. She did not reply to him. "Have anyone got any news from Dmitri or Alexei. And what about my brother Charles, has he been contacted or not."

"No news from the two vampires but your brother has been contacted. He was in France for a conference on genetics. He will be back here in Bridgeville tomorrow evening." Dominic informed her.

Valerie nodded and looked towards all the people present in the room and addressed them. "It is quite late. Jason, inform the pack members that they are safe and Kevin I know mum will be anxious. Soothe her anxiety because you know best how to calm her. Rest can go have a good night's sleep. Ryder and Scarlett there is no need to go back, you are more than welcome to stay here for the night."

She then looked towards Cayden and whispered. "I think I will need your presence to calm me."

Cayden smiled. "I am always there for you."

Together they walked towards Valerie's room. Once inside she laid down on her bed and Cayden followed. He spooned her and kissed her on her forehead.

"Don't stress too much. We will find the culprit. You are not alone. Not anymore."

Valerie smiled and for the second time she slept peacefully.

Vote and give your precious views. We are very close to the mole. Maybe Valerie and Cayden will find out about her in next chapter ;)

Or maybe not :D