Part 40

After listening to what his tracker had to tell, Cayden was left speechless and dumbstruck. He could not believe what he was hearing. His close friend and his top ranked officer has betrayed him not once but many times. He could not understand how to react.

Valerie on the other hand was fuming in anger. She was thinking about all the time her pack was put in danger due to the information Scarlet delivered to the hunters.

"Are you sure about this?" Cayden asked his tracker for the nth time.

"Proofs are in front of you alpha." He replied his alpha patiently.

Cayden picked the phone placed near him on the table and dialed Ryder. He asked him to visit the office along with Scarlett for an official work.

"Her fate will be decided by me." Valerie spoke as soon as Cayden disconnected the call.

Cayden knew something like this might be demanded by her. He took a deep breath and replied. "Scarlett belongs to my pack and accordingly her fate will be decided by me."

"But the information she provided to the hunters caused my pack to suffer. I could have lost my warriors or my pack members." Valerie retorted angrily.

"Let us first ask her about her motives behind it. As far as I know she can't do this to me. She is fiercely loyal to me and to her pack."

"You don't understand Cayden, do you?" Valerie asked. "My pack was under threat due to the information she gave to the hunters. She even told them about our blood bond. I think that is called treachery because not only did it put my life in danger but she betrayed you too."

For a moment Cayden was silent but then he replied. "I need to know about her motives first before I reach to any conclusion."

Valerie huffed in irritation and went to stand in the far away corner of the office because she knew her beast is angry and can't be trusted. Few seconds later a knock on the door was heard. Cayden commanded the persons standing on the other side to enter.

Ryder and Scarlet entered. Both of them sniffed the air and both looked towards Cayden and Valerie. They both got aware of the fact that the alphas had recently consummated. For the first time Valerie noticed a spark of jealousy in Scarlett's behavior. For the first time she saw how her expressions transformed from normal to sour. And maybe Cayden saw them too because he looked towards Valerie.

"Scarlett." Cayden coaxed. "I will ask you something and I need an answer in yes or no." Scarlett looked confused towards his alpha but she nodded her head nevertheless.

"Did you or did you not betrayed me or this pack in any form?"

From the look of her face it was clear that she was baffled and befuddled by this question, and she replied in no.

Cayden controlled his anger, took a deep breath and spoke. "According to my reliable tracker, all the information about Stalwart warrior pack was provided by you to those hunters."

All the color drained from her face. Ryder who was not able to understand the situation looked perplexed towards Scarlett. Scarlett gulped and immediately he knew that she is guilty. Before she could do anything, Ryder took out the handcuffs coated with wolfsbane and put it around her hands so that she could not react in any way.

She looked bewildered towards him and asked perplexed. "I thought we are friends."

"We are, but right now you are questioned for treason and as the beta of Mystic Moon this was my duty. Loyalty trumps friendship."

"I would like to know the truth." Cayden asked calmly. "And please no lies this time."

There were unshed tears in Scarlett's eyes before she started speaking. She sniffed and composed herself. "I did all this out of jealousy alpha. And I stand by my words I did not betrayed you or this pack. You, Ryder and I were the perfect trio. The perfect friends but I don't know when and how those feelings of friendship changed into the feelings of attraction. I tried to control my emotions. I desperately wanted to find my mate to curb my feelings for you. But destiny was not in my favor and I didn't find my other half."

She took a deep breath before continuing to compose herself. "When I heard that our pack was being shifted, I was hopeful that maybe I will find my other one. But before I could find my soul mate, Ryder told me that you have found your mate who is the alpha of the neighbouring pack and that she is neither rejecting you nor accepting you. He asked me to play the part of your luna to make Valerie jealous."

"I was so jealous and angry at your mate because she was ignoring the one whom my heart desired but on the other hand I was happy for you as Ryder told me that you are quite infested in your mate. Playing the part of your luna was very tough for me but still I did it for you. When Valerie reacted calmly towards the situation I was really impressed with her. She was really a level headed alpha and I was super excited for you as you got the best of the mates."

Scarlett sniffed again. She was trying to control the flow of her tears. "I was hopeful that maybe I will get my soulmate in Valerie's pack but that turned out fruitless. I started spending more time with Ryder to lessen my ache. I was managing well but suddenly one day you entered office and your body fragrance was changed portraying that you have consummated your bond and you were so happy. The snake of jealousy recoiled in my heart."

She looked maliciously towards Valerie. "She had what I wanted and you were so happy." She again looked towards Cayden. "I wanted to be the reason of your happiness not her. At the same time the problem of hunters surfaced and I got the brilliant idea of destroying Valerie."

"I gave information in exchange of your safety. They assured me that you won't be harmed in any way and that only Valerie was to be targeted. But then the scene of blood bond happened and I asked them to spare Valerie's life as destroying her would be destroying you. But they did not agree. I pleaded and told them that I will help them in destroying Stalwart warrior pack but they must keep Valerie alive till something is done for the bond. They betrayed my trust and attacked her pack nevertheless."

Scarlett who was standing fell down on her knees while sobbing. "And to top the situation I found out my mate too. He is a rouge wolf living in the outskirts of the town of Bridgeville. When he saw me he told me that he cannot accept me as he is a widower of a human girl."

Cayden looked towards his dear friend in pity and could not understand what to do?

What should Cayden do now? Share your precious views and let me know.

# How did you find my book in the huge ocean of wattpad? Let me know about it. Did someone recommend it to you or you stumbled upon it somehow.

Till next time peeps. See ya!!!!