Part 41

Cayden could not understand what to do. He looked towards Ryder and then towards Valerie. He knew sympathizing with Scarlett will cause him great loss yet he could not stop himself from doing so. Ignoring his brain and listening to his heart, he finally said what Valerie already dreaded.

"Scarlett, what you did was so wrong but I can understand the conditions under which you did it. You are a great friend and fiercely loyal officer. So I will give you a second chance."

Valerie gasped and Ryder looked dumbstruck towards his alpha.

"But." Cayden continued "you can't remain as the head warrior of this pack and you won't be involved in any official decision. I am allowing you to stay in this pack as an ordinary wolf nothing more nothing less. All your special rights will be demolished and you will be imprisoned for two months."

"You can't be serious." Valerie snarled.

Cayden ignored her and continued. "Ryder, take Scarlett in custody and inform the pack about it. Put a notice in the pack house that we are recruiting new warrior head."

Ryder nodded and left taking with him Scarlett as a prisoner and the tracker followed suit. He looked towards Valerie once everyone left leaving the duo behind.

"I know Valerie you don't agree."

"Damn right you are. I do not. It was treachery. She betrayed me, my pack and your mate. It was directly treason. I could have lost my warrior in that battle. Betraying a luna is equivalent to betraying an alpha. Just because she is your good friend does not give you the right to leave her so easily. And technically she betrayed my pack and hence her fate should have been decided by me." Valerie was huffing in anger.

"I could have asked for the same thing." Cayden replied.

Valerie looked confused towards him and asked. "What do you mean?"

"When Alexei kissed you I could have asked you the same thing. Technically he kissed my mate. So his fate should have been decided by me not by you."

"Unbelievable, you know both the situations are very different."

"How?" Cayden asked. "He tried to make a bond with you despite knowing the fact that you are my mate."

"He did not try to make a bond with me, it was just a kiss. That was not treason." Valerie yelled.

"That was." Cayden said forcefully.

"That did not harm anyone in anyway." Valerie retaliated.

"Didn't it? You got attracted towards him and he did not stop you despite having all the knowledge."

"Unbelievable." Valerie muttered and shook her head and without second thoughts she left the office.

Cayden sighed in defeat and did not try to stop her because somewhere deep down he knew that he was wrong.

Valerie was exiting the pack house in anger when Ryder called her from behind. Valerie did not stop but Ryder ran up to her and stopped her.

"I am sorry alpha Valerie for stopping you like this but whatever you decide, keep one thing in mind, please. We are friends since we understood the meaning of friendship."

Valerie did not show any reaction. She did not pay any heed to what Ryder said and started walking. When she crossed the pack boundary, she sprinted and changed into her beast. Her beast was angry and restless. It did not wanted Cayden's scent on it's body. When she entered her pack boundary, she changed back into her wolf form and ran towards the water spring present in her pack. She jumped in it and washed away his scent that caused her beast to calm down.

She ordered one of the warriors to bring her clothes. When she got them, she got dressed and walked towards the pack office. She summoned her beta and warrior head and Kevin.

"Mystic Moon is no longer welcome here." Valerie declared to them. When they looked towards her in confusion, she narrated the whole incidence.

"They are not to be considered as our nemesis but they no longer fall into the category of our friends. As a neighboring pack we will support them in the need but other than that, they are not welcome."

They all nodded and left except Kevin. He opened his mouth to say something but Valerie beat him and replied. "My decision is final."

Kevin looked towards her for few minutes and then left defeated.

The word travelled fast in the Stalwart warrior pack about Scarlett's treason and Cayden's verdict. The pack members were not happy with the neighboring alpha but they respected their alpha's decision and did not show any disappointment.

When Alexei learnt the whole thing from Kevin he came to visit Valerie who was busy discussing about hunters on phone with Dmitri who was returning to Bridgeville few days later. Valerie finished her call and asked Alexei to sit.

"I am sorry I am also responsible for this."

Valerie sighed. "No you are not Alexei. He would have taken the same decision because he let his emotions control his decision."

"You won't reject him. Will you?" Alexei asked.

Valerie shook her head and looked painfully towards Alexei. "I still love him. But as an alpha I can't let my emotions control me, unlike Cyaden."

Alexei nodded. "I heard that hunters were able to seriously damage some packs in Canada and some parts of America. What are we going to do next about hunters before such situation occur upon us?"

"That was what I was discussing with Dmitri. He is coming back in few days. But he was telling me that situation is dire. They have killed some of the alphas very ruthlessly. It is as if they want to wipe out our race from the Earth for good."

Valerie phone rang but she ignored it and put it on silent. She started speaking again but the phone vibrated. She ignored it once again and switched it off once it stopped vibrating.

"I have some work. I will come back later." Alexei said when he saw that Valerie is not in the right state of mind.

Once Alexei left Valerie stood up and went to meet her mother. Once she reached her mother's room, she knocked to enter and found her mother reading.

"Am I disturbing you?" she asked.

"Not at all, my child." Jennifer replied.

Valerie walked and lay down on the bed while keeping her head in her mother's lap.

"Why is it so difficult mother?" She asked.

Jennifer did not reply and patted Valerie's head. A lone tear spilled from her eye and she sighed.

Somebody knocked on the door. Jennifer ordered them to enter while Valerie sat up and cleaned her tear striken face.
It was Jason, he addressed Jennifer as well as Valerie.

"Alpha our trackers are back with the missing teenager Jack. He was hiding in a warehouse in the outskirts of Bridgeville. When the hunters were taking him away along with some other teenagers kidnapped from different packs, he fought his way out and was hiding so that he could deter hunters.
Valerie smiled and went to meet him personally and congratulated him for his bravery and asked the rest to be alert and cautious.

Let me know what you think of Cayden's decision.

How is the story going so far.