Part 20

Cayden was strolling in the Stalwart warrior pack grounds, sulking. Charles who was standing in Valerie's office saw him and decided to have a talk with him, so he left the office to meet him. When he reached there, Cayden suddenly looked up for the approaching person and when he saw it was Charles he stopped pacing. They both nodded towards each other to acknowledge one another.

"How you doing, pal?" Charles asked casually.

Cayden just shrugged. "How do you think I am? Your sister is going to a war even after the oracle of your pack predicted the future."

Charles sighed and then said. "You won't be able to win her if you keep on doing whatever you are doing now. You are trying to control her and manipulate her but the thing that you are forgetting is that she is an alpha just like you. And she is not good with authority or dominance. You marked her without her consent. Whether it was right move or not, I don't know but you marked her and in a way you compelled her wolf to mark your wolf. She is getting irritated and frustrated with your tries to completely overtake her life and decisions. You need to be there for her and with her. Don't try to control her, you will fail miserably."

There was a pin drop silence. Neither Cayden said anything nor did Charles ask him to say something. They were both staring towards each other without any gesture or bodily movement. The shrill voice of loud horn got their attention.

"It's the horn for battle." Charles whispered. That got Cayden's attention and he sprinted towards the pack house. Charles was left astounded with the sudden movement but he decided to run behind him.

"Where are you going?" Charles yelled.

But Cayden paid no heed to him and  continued running.

"Listen to me Cayden, don't do or say anything to her. You will further spoil your relationship with her."

That got Cayden's attention and he stopped and looked back towards Charles who was running towards him.

"What do you think you are doing?" Charles asked huffing once he reached where Cayden had abruptly stopped running.

"I am trying to help her and don't worry, I won't stop her from going or order her to do anything. I am just going to give my help to her." Cayden replied.

Charles nodded and said.  "Help her like a friendly neighbor alpha would. Not like some overprotective mate."

Cayden pursed his lips and then nodded.

When the duo reached the pack house, they saw Valerie was giving orders to her warriors. She whipped around and looked towards where Cayden and Charles were standing. Cayden and Charles looked towards each other and nodded. Cayden walked towards where Valerie was standing and looked deeply in her eyes.

"I would like to help your pack, alpha Valerie. You helped us when my pack was homeless, so being a neighboring alpha I can extend my help to you by providing my warriors to you. And please let me accompany you to the battle ground."

Valerie stared back at Cayden and then she looked towards Charles and then back towards Cayden. She continued to stare at him for some more time and the she asked. "Just, as a helpful neighboring alpha? And nothing else?"

Cayden nodded his head and replied. "Nothing else."

Valerie nodded and replied. "We are leaving in half hour, if you can manage till then, we will wait for you."

"I can manage that all right." Cayden replied. He then left to contact his pack warriors. Valerie looked towards Charles and a look of understanding was shared between the two siblings. Valerie mouthed a thank you to him and Charles just nodded.

After giving necessary orders to her warriors and discussing battle strategy with Dominic. Valerie asked someone to call Kevin in her office and left leaving behind Charles who saw a worried oracle talking frantically with Jason. He scrunched his eye brows and started walking towards them. When he reached near them he found both of them bickering on something. When Flora saw him approaching, she sigh a relieved sigh.

"Thank God you are here. I know you will make alpha understand. From the past ten minutes I am trying to make this good for nothing beta, understand the danger and consequences of this battle. Alpha should not go to this war. My visions are continuously showing alpha Valerie getting injured. This war or whatever this is, this is some kind of plot by the hunters. She must not go." Flora said nervously making frantic gestures.

Charles put his hand on her shoulder to calm her down. "Do you think anybody can stop her? Do you think she doesn't know the risks? And do you think she will ignore your warnings? Have she ever ignored your visions?"

This made Flora gasp. "She knows." She whispered and Charles nodded.

"She is still going because that is the type of alpha she is. She will always stand for the weak. She knows she is running into danger but she will still go because the rest of the packs are depending on her and her forces. And don't you worry, Flora, Cayden is going with him. He will handle everything just fine."

Flora pursed her lips and nodded unhappily. Charles patted her on the back as a consolation.

"Walk with me?" He asked Jason. He nodded and started walking. They were both walking side by side, both deep in thoughts and in the anxiety of the unseen future.

                      *************

When Kevin entered Valerie was sitting behind her desk and was signing something. By the looks of the papers it looked like some legal documents.

"Kevin, it's so good of you to join me. Now, please have a seat." Valerie said gesturing Kevin to sit on the chair.

Kevin took the unoccupied chair bit skeptically. Valerie opened her mouth to say something but Kevin beat her and started speaking.

"I know what you are going to say and I don't want to hear it. You are going to win and you are coming back."

Valerie sighed and stopped signing the papers. She placed the pen on the table and stood up. She walked where Kevin was sitting and took the other nearby chair to sit. She grasped Kevin's hands and looked towards him adoringly.

"You are my baby brother and you are the only one person whom this pack will accept as their leader. You are the blood of the rulers of this pack. If anything happens to me, I am not saying I will die or anything because as for now Flora has not seen my death in her visions. But I can get severely injured or can get crippled. Or God forbid I can loose my mind in any injury, I can loose the power to make decisions or to lead. For that I need to appoint you my successor. And that is what I was doing. In any unfortunate event with me, you will be the next leader of this pack. Please Kevin don't deny it."

Kevin sighed and nodded his head. Tears were glistening in his eyes.

"One more thing, make sure Cayden moves forward in his life. I know whatever he does, he does so for my safety. Sometimes they are over the top decisions but he does everything for my sake and for my well being. Its your responsibility to make him see that his life without me is not an end. Make sure mum and Genesis are well taken care of. Charles will help you in every thick and thin along with Dmitri and Alexei."

Kevin nodded and embraced Valerie which she returned. They both knew anything could happen to her in this battle if Flora's visions are to be believed.

Outside her office three people were listening to their conversation and the three of them pledged to die for her safety. Those three looked towards each other with determination and unspoken words were shared amongst those three, Cayden, Jason and Charles.

Things will get serious and tense in the next chapters. Keep reading to find out what happens with Valerie.

And please show your encouragement with votes and comments.

Updates on every Saturday.

Have a good weekend.

Signing out.

VP_dreamer16