Part 15

Valerie was sitting in her office almost looking lost like in a trance and that was how Jason found her. He was puzzled at his alpha's state. He tried gaining her attention by calling her name but was left in vain. So he walked up to where she was sitting and slightly nudged her.

"You okay?" Jason asked. Valerie shook her head.

"You know you can talk with me, right?" Jason asked. "We are good friends. Whatever is your problem, I am always there for you."

Valerie sighed and was about to say something when Autumn entered.

"Why are you both looking so gloomy?" She asked

"Oh no, I am not. I was just worried about her. She was sitting still like some statue looking all lost and buzzed.

Autumn looked confused towards Valerie and she just sighed. "Cayden told me that he loves me."

"And?" Autumn coaxed her to continue.

"And I did not say it back."

"What?" Autumn shrieked.

"Burn.." Jason replied in a sing song tone.

Valerie rolled her eyes. "There is no need to be so dramatic. He understood why I was so reluctant. Besides it's not like I have rejected him or something. I am not clear about how I will handle this situation. And we have more pressing issues like random rouge attacks and hunters who are hell bent on wiping out our race."

They both agreed and nodded their heads.

"Alpha" Dominic entered looking tensed. Valerie was up in a second in a defensive mode.

"What is it?" she asked standing in front of him.

"Our neighboring pack, Blue Moon is under attack by hunters. They are asking for our aid. Their warriors are having hard time fighting them. The hunters have already defeated their one third of soldiers."

Valerie nodded and ordered. "Send some of our warriors. I will lead them. You and Jason will accompany me."

"I don't think you should go." Autumn said. When Valerie looked in anguish towards her, she elaborated. "They will be able to boast the fact that their presence forced a powerful alpha to lead an army by herself."

"I don't care what they think. I want to kill them myself." Valerie growled. " It will give them message that they need to fear me."

Autumn open her mouth to say something but Valerie cut her of. "We don't have time to argue." She looked towards Dominic and ordered "Gather the soldiers, we are marching. And inform Kevin and rest of officials about the situation."

                                                                          ********************

Half an hour later when Cayden came back accompanied by his beta Ryder and warrior head Scarlett, after supervising the construction of his pack he found nervous energy amongst the pack members of Stalwart warrior pack. He called one of the pack members and asked him about the problem. To his dismay and surprise he learned that Valerie had marched to Blue moon pack along with her beta to fight with hunters.

He was furious to know that she left without informing him. He would have never let her go. Maybe that is why probably she didn't inform him, he thought. He groaned in frustration.

"I am going after her." He announced but Ryder grasped his shoulder and stopped him.

"It will give out a negative message to the hunters that Valerie is not strong enough to fight or lead and that she needs the help of other alpha."