Part 52

"What!" Valerie exclaimed.

Ryder and Cayden shared a look and they knew damage was done. Cayden cleared his throat to speak but was cut off by Valerie.

"Please don't tell me that you know about Scarlett's whereabouts." Valerie asked.

"Alpha Valerie." Ryder started but Valerie groaned and said. "Oh my God! You know. Don't you? You both know."

"Valerie listen I came to know about the whole ordeal just this morning." Cayden replied.

"And you had seven hours to inform me but you didn't."

Cayden open his mouth to say something but Valerie stopped him by gesturing with her hand and looked towards Ryder.

"Let us discuss problem in hand. How can Scarlett help us Ryder?" She totally ignored Cayden and asked Ryder. She took a pause and said sarcastically looking towards the other alpha. "And I hope she will help"

Cayden sighed in defeat and said in a very tiring voice. "You know what Valerie, you are very difficult to please and it is more difficult to make you understand something when you have already made up your mind. So you are right let us talk the problem at hand."

Valerie felt offended but she did not say anything and listened to what Ryder has to say. She felt bit hopeful after listening to him but she was not sure about Scarlett helping them. So she decided to make sure to send her trackers as well.

When the meeting was over she was about to leave when Cayden stopped her and said "Valerie, I think it will be best if we act  and meet professionally. Let us think things through."

"What do you mean?" Valerie asked flabbergasted.

"It is simple to understand what I said alpha." Cayden said sarcastically. "Let us think about this relationship through. Just because we are destined to be mates does not mean that we are compelled to be in a relationship. Something does not fit right between us. I have committed my share of mistakes and you have done yours. So let us be two alphas for the time being rather than two mates until we decide what to do next."

It was a huge blow to her but she controlled everything she was feeling. She nodded and then walked out of Cayden's office.

"Is it wise decision alpha Cayden?" Ryder asked once Valerie left.

"For now, yes." Cayden replied looking at the place longingly where Valerie was standing few seconds ago.

Valerie and Jason were sitting quietly in the car on the way back to their pack. Jason was driving while Valerie was sitting immeresd deep in thoughts.

"I think you should have allowed Cayden to explain before reaching the conclusions." Jason said out of nowhere.

"What?" Valerie asked because she was not actually mentally present and was thinking what Cayden had said. She thought she heard him wrong. So she paid her full attention towards him.

"Yes. You reached the conclusions without giving second thoughts. You should have allowed him to explain."

Valerie did not reply and did not even agree with him but she knew what he was saying was right to a point. 

She looked out of the window when suddenly Valerie's phone ranged. When she picked it up and listened to what other person has to say, her face drained the whole color.

"Take me to the maple heart hospital at once." Valerie ordered Jason.

"But that is a hospital for humans." Jason asked confused.

"Yes it is. Charles was attacked by hunters and he is injured badly." Jason did not ask any further questions and started driving towards the destination.