Part 12

Being powerful is like addiction. You thrive at the fear of others who shiver like a leaf in front of you. The surge one gets when others bow in front of you. Valerie was used to all this, being a powerful alpha of a strong pack. What she was not used to was someone else taking charge and making decisions for her.

Being the Alpha she was the doer but the incident in the morning left her stunned and astounded. The way Cayden took control of the situation was both overwhelming and arousing for her. She was restless for the whole morning and hence decided to cool it down by doing vigorous work out and sweating.

Her morning was chaotic and tensed. The matter with the killing of one of her best tracker by the hunters was a major pressing issue. And now the fact that Cayden took charge of the decisions of her pack was also bothering her.

She was running on the treadmill with earphones plugged. She did not hear the footsteps of intruder that was walking towards her. The person who entered the gym tried to gain her attention by calling her name but due to high volume of the songs that were playing she was unable to hear him despite her werewolf hearing.

So the person decided to stand in front of her to gain her attention. Valerie gasped when she saw Ryder standing in front of her. She stopped playing the music.

"When did you come?" She asked irritated with herself for being so reckless.

"Can we talk?" Ryder asked.

Valerie did not like the tone with which he was talking with her. She stopped the treadmill and descended from it. She grabbed the towel to wipe the sweat and drank water from her bottle.

She then looked towards Ryder unimpressed. "I don't like the way you talk with me. I am an Alpha of this pack and you are a beta and I expect respect. Learn your position."

Ryder just nodded and made no effort to apologise. Valerie's pride was wounded due to the morning incident and her beast was also feeling restless but she curbed her desire to punch Ryder in the face.

"What is it?" She asked irately.

"Look Valerie...." He started but Valerie growled in warning.

"It is Alpha for you. You will respect me. You are standing on the land that I own."

But Ryder did not deter from the way he was looking at her and neither did he make any effort to rectify his mistake. That irritated her and she grinded her teeth in anger. She moved aside and started walking towards exit.

"I wanted to talk with you." Ryder spoke from behind.

"When you will learn to give proper respect to me I will take some time out to listen to you." She retaliated.

"You are not my alpha." Ryder said.

"And Cayden is not Jason's alpha yet he pays his respects." Valerie replied still not looking towards him.

"My alpha is one of the toughest Alphas out there. He is not someone like you, who allowed my alpha to take decisions for her own pack like it happened this morning."

That did the trick and Valerie spun around and looked towards him with fire in her eyes. She was in front of him in a flick of an eye.

"Behind you is a sparing corner. If you have enough guts to beat me in a fight then come and show me what you have got to boast like this."

Ryder scoffed and took a step ahead. "I don't beat weaker sex."

Valerie growled and grasped his neck in vise grip. "You are forgetting your place." She spat.

Ryder tried to knee her in the gut but she blocked the attack and scoffed. "Like I said you are forgetting your place."

She let go of his neck and said. "You are a petty beta. I can kill you in a second. Don't cross me again."