Part 44

Jennifer was sitting in her bedroom reading a book when a knock on the door disturbed her. She looked at clock hanging on the wall to see that it was past midnight. Intrigued by the visitor who have come to meet her at this hour she slide from the bed to open the door, to find Dmitri standing tapping his foot anxiously.

"What are you doing here at such ungodly hour of the night?" A surprised Jennifer asked. Dmitri pushed open the door to enter her room without replying her question.

"I didn't invite you in. But noticing you have already entered and made yourself at home, I shall welcome you." She said sarcastically.

"It is urgent." Dmitri replied while plopping on the sofa beside her bed.

Jennifer rolled her eyes and said. "It is always urgent."

"No, Jenny, it is actually serious." He replied.

Jennifer who was standing leisurely sat beside him and asked. "What is it?"

Dmitri looked towards her and spoke. "I think it is time to tell your children the truth. The situation is not getting under control. I am trying my level best to help Valerie but she should know what she is facing."

"You have told her Randall's story. What else is there to tell?" She asked.

"I have told the half truth. She doesn't know why her father was killed. She does not know the whole story. Garret would have wanted to tell her the truth."

"He kept it secret for a reason, Dmitri." She yelled in frustration.

"Randall will not stop and once he found out the truth about Valerie, he will make sure to destroy her brutally." Dmitri debated.

"Garret, my husband, their father gave his life to protect that secret." Jennifer replied angrily and stood up and walked away. She stood beside the French windows of her room and gazed outside towards the sky.

"You are wrong Jennifer. He gave his life to protect Valerie. Now this secret will either save her or destroy her." He took a deep breath before continuing. "Tell her before her trackers find out about this. She has ordered her trackers to find everything they can about Randall and their discovery will lead them to Oregon."

Jennifer looked towards him astounded and when Dmitri saw fear in her eyes, he nodded. "Yes she is digging past." He stood up from his seat. "Have a good sleep but think what I said. Good night." He left the room for her to ponder.

**********

When next morning, Jennifer entered the hall she saw everyone sitting on the dining table awaiting their breakfast. But she was not hungry at all. She was tired and sleepless. She saw Valerie sitting as the head where her husband used to sit and thought whether her daughter will meet the same end as her husband. Her reverie was broken when one of the servants requested her to take the seat for breakfast.

Everyone present on the table looked towards her. Valerie noticed that her mother was looking anxious and restless.

"Are you alright, mum?" Valerie asked concerned.

Jennifer smiled and sat on the chair. "I didn't get much sleep last night. I am alright though." Valerie nodded assured and started discussing pack matters with Kevin.

Dmitri looked towards Jennifer concerned. He knew why she is looking so gloomy but the things he said last night were important to address.

Everyone started eating once the food arrived. Jennifer looked around the table. Genesis was blushing on something that Jason said. Kevin and Valerie were talking about something in a serious manner. Charles was looking astonished towards Autumn and gaping at her that caused Flora to giggle. She smiled looking at her children and all the tension left her body and she started eating. Once everyone finished eating and were about to leave the table, Jennifer cleared her throat and said. "I would like to talk with my children alone."